Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

Only once as far as I know has a band played with no warning.

And only once I think has a set been announced <1 hour before.

A few times, they've been announced that morning.

So generally checking on here, say, the lunchtime of festival days and you'll be good.

It might be they don't do any secret shows this year but I'd be surprised.

Edited by xxialac
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kaytee... said:

You only have to go back through security if you're taking checked luggage and you booked two separate tickets for each journey. Otherwise you just stay in departures 

Thanks no checked bags so should be “plane” sailing 😂

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Only once as far as I know has a band played with no warning.

And only once I think has a set been announced <1 hour before.

A few times, they've been announced that morning.

So generally checking on here, say, the lunchtime of festival days and you'll be good.

It might be they don't do any secret shows this year but I'd be surprised.

2017's unexpected gigs were announced about 5 minutes before the bands started playing, of course it's <1 hour but most interested punters couldn't be there on time (especially if you don't have cell reception onsite)

7 minutes ago, Orens said:

2017's unexpected gigs were announced about 5 minutes before the bands started playing, of course it's <1 hour but most interested punters couldn't be there on time (especially if you don't have cell reception onsite)

Don't think that's right. If I recall they were announced in the morning perhaps with exception of Mogwai which was still a few hours before (and if you'd been on here you'd have known since the morning).

Only Arcade Fire was <1 hour.

47 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Previously when Gabi did his 'ask me anything sessions', it was lots of people passionate about live music trying to learn more about the festival and hear the inside secrets. Can't think of many other festivals where such openness is possible.

Now based on twitter responses, it's just going to be a bunch of overly critical people complaining about the festival - before they even experience it.

He won't do it again and we will be all the poorer for it.

Think most of them will be either clashes or the VIP section changes. The clashes criticism is valid I think. Putting Dua Lipa and Charli, Strokes and Giz, National and Parquet Courts, and Jamie XX and Caribou up against each other makes are strange decisions. 

9 minutes ago, DDave said:

Think most of them will be either clashes or the VIP section changes. The clashes criticism is valid I think. Putting Dua Lipa and Charli, Strokes and Giz, National and Parquet Courts, and Jamie XX and Caribou up against each other makes are strange decisions. 

I think they're very intentional decisions from a capacity point of view

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Don't think that's right. If I recall they were announced in the morning perhaps with exception of Mogwai which was still a few hours before (and if you'd been on here you'd have known since the morning).

Only Arcade Fire was <1 hour.

We got Arcade Fire exactly 5 minutes before they started (20:25) and we got the HAIM notifications at about 2:54, after Japandroids finished their set. I'm not talking about leaks, only official information from the festival.

Criticism on why a headliner is not replaced is absolutely legit and I don’t agree with the viewpoint: “it’s the best festival in the world who cares”. Come on, if they really wanted to, they would have replaced massive attack with someone, ok, maybe not as big as them, but still, leaving that empty space is really a cheap and unexpected move. No justification for that. On the contrary, I think they got away with that pretty easily.  

Edited by Whos3000_

4 minutes ago, adforperu said:

I think they're very intentional decisions from a capacity point of view

You could crowd-manage better without clashing Jamie xx and Caribou or Nick Cave and Bauhaus. I believe it has more to do with the dozens of cancellations they went through, assuming Jamie xx was bumped up to have a DJ set in Mordor (again) as they couldn't book a Mordor-worthy replacement to BROCKHAMPTON. In a perfect world he would close the Cupra and the Friday after Caribou.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Orens said:

We got Arcade Fire exactly 5 minutes before they started (20:25) and we got the HAIM notifications at about 2:54, after Japandroids finished their set. I'm not talking about leaks, only official information from the festival.

Which is why I'm saying to check on here occasionally during the festival and that way don't need to rely on mobile reception onsite!

Haim made it incredibly obvious they were playing later that day and pretty sure anyone on here knew in the morning. If I remember they posted a picture of the sagrada familia and wrote 'we've got something to tell you' or similar.

7 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Criticism on why a headliner is not replaced is absolutely legit and I don’t agree with the viewpoint: “it’s the best festival in the world who cares”. Come on, if they really wanted to, they would have replaced massive attack with someone, ok, maybe not as big as them, but still, leaving that empty space is really a cheap and unexpected move. No justification for that. On the contrary, I think they got away with that pretty easily.  

That's a strawman argument. No one is saying  “it’s the best festival in the world who cares”.

Just that the criticism needs to be balanced - there's so much over the top criticism with people getting enraged about everything. They haven't replaced 1 headliner out of 9 on W1, which they say is the result of no one being available, Charli XCX would be a headliner anyway at most events and it wouldn't be fair on here to introduce a smaller act to play ahead of here. And we don't know yet whether they have a big surprise waiting for us. It's not impossible given their 20th anniversary.

I also very confident that there will be far fewer complaints after the festival than beforehand. But we shall see. That said, I must admit I do expect some teething problems on weekend 1!

15 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Could you name someone? Which acts do you know that are available on the specific dates, can fit into the exact spot (stage specifications and so on)? 

I'll say this again: There has never been a festival-year where the market for acts was this tight. Most festivals cannot replace a dropout at all, let alone a headliner. Wishing the impossible doesn't make it possible and judging promoters by impossible standards is unfair.

Edited by Quadrophobia

I personally would happily take Charli XCX cancelling if it means Kacey playing later / not clashing with Dinosaur Jr. 

She seems very popular with the social media / Reddit crowd though, they might need to disable the comments for that announcement..

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

That's a strawman argument. No one is saying  “it’s the best festival in the world who cares”.

Just that the criticism needs to be balanced - there's so much over the top criticism with people getting enraged about everything. They haven't replaced 1 headliner out of 9 on W1, which they say is the result of no one being available, Charli XCX would be a headliner anyway at most events and it wouldn't be fair on here to introduce a smaller act to play ahead of here. And we don't know yet whether they have a big surprise waiting for us. It's not impossible given their 20th anniversary.

I also very confident that there will be far fewer complaints after the festival than beforehand. But we shall see. That said, I must admit I do expect some teething problems on weekend 1!

Totally agree with you on the surprise.I wonder when it will be announced...today at 6pm?!

22 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Totally agree with the over the top criticism. Clashes have always been present (even if this year they really thought about how to make them a real pain); I got no vip because I don’t care but for those who have I guess it’s better to wait and see before complaining. I can’t wait for the festival, it’s three years that I have been waiting, LOL. 

However, no. The headliner was not just 1 out of nine. It was one of the reasons many people bought the ticket ( PS knows it, there is a big electronic/darker sounding name every year for a specific reason, nobody cares about beck that much for example). And yes charli would headline other festivals, I agree that the value/money is insane but this is no other festival and had Massive attack and not Charli xcx on top of the bill. When it comes to possibile replacements: I understand, I did my research (although mitski, for example, looked available). But why not booking slightly less big acts such as Slowdive, just to name one, to do also wk1? I mean, it’s not impossibile, you just have to pay them money. I would be curious to know which bands they have contacted about a possible replacement set, just for the sake of it. 

Edited by Whos3000_

In general, if a headliner was replaced with a decent number of good smaller credliners I would be happy with that. I am not going to this festival because of the headliners. Never have, for 10 editions. But people are different and I respect that. 

17 hours ago, BA_Barrabus said:

I just bought a random ticket on Ouigo for the fast track thing but low and behold it hasnt worked... Have emailed them to see what the craic is but hey ho was a 9 EUR cheeky gamble so no biggy.

Anyone else tried it with more joy than me?

I was able to do it, went through the website and then put in booking number, train number and email i think - no idea how useful it will be at the fest though! 

• Like 1

Just now, puckno said:

In general, if a headliner was replaced with a decent number of good smaller credliners I would be happy with that. I am not going to this festival because of the headliners. Never have, for 10 editions. But people are different and I respect that. 

I would have been more than happy even with just squid doubled to wk1 

10 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Totally agree with the over the top criticism. Clashes have always been present (even if this year they really thought about how to make them a real pain); I got no vip because I don’t care but for those who have I guess it’s better to wait and see before complaining. I can’t wait for the festival, it’s three years that I have been waiting, LOL. 

However, no. The headliner was not just 1 out of nine. It was one of the reasons many people bought the ticket ( PS knows it, there is a big electronic/darker sounding name every year for a specific reason, nobody cares about beck that much for example). And yes charli would headline other festivals, I agree that the value/money is insane but this is no other festival and had Massive attack and not Charli xcx on top of the bill. When it comes to possibile replacements: I understand, I did my research (although mitski, for example, looked available). But why not booking slightly less big acts such as Slowdive, just to name one, to do also wk1? I mean, it’s not impossibile, you just have to pay them money. I would be curious to know which bands they have contacted about a possible replacement set, just for the sake of it. 

If they added Slowdive to W1 I’m pretty confident there would have been almost exactly the same amount of complaining. Maybe even increased with people saying it was an insulting replacement for MA.

You can put your question to the festival organiser on tuesday!

Just now, xxialac said:

If they added Slowdive to W1 I’m pretty confident there would have been almost exactly the same amount of complaining. Maybe even increased with people saying it was an insulting replacement for MA.

You can put your question to the festival organiser on tuesday!

Really? As far as I'm concerned replacing MA with Slowdive would have been a major upgrade lol

As far as I'm concerned they had a spare £200k or whatever Massive Attack would have cost and have.. not visibly put it elsewhere. I don't believe for a second the "oh they probably tried their best to book others!!" narrative - this thread was full of suggestions of (even mid-table) artists who were doing the rounds elsewhere or would have come out of hibernation for a fat cheque, a nice week in Barcelona and decent stage placement.

Weekend One punters in particular have had, like, one new mid table addition and that was even before MA, Brockhampton, C Tanaga etc cancelled.

It's a good festival, the lineup is still stacked, and I'm happy to be going again, but I hope for everyone's sake they're not announcing so far in advance again.

• Upvote 1