Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

1 hour ago, ohseptember said:

I'll be one of those punters & I'm particularly angry. Tried out VIP in 2013 & didn't think much of it. Went back to regular tickets. Didn't notice the VIP front pits till showing up super early for Radiohead in 2016. As I watched people casually stroll in & out of that VIP pit for ~4 hours that day, my feelings about it not being worth it changed.

Decided to buy VIP the moment Pavement was announced. And now, after holding out hope for the last week that it wasn't the case, the festival confirms they've done away with the front VIP pit. Meaning, in order for me to secure a spot close to the stage for Pavement, I'll have to camp out during one of the trendiest acts of the entire festival?! Or somehow maneuver myself to the front as a mass exodus is happening. Perrrrrfect.

Can't help but feel cursed. As if being short isn't a curse already.

I was one of the few who showed up super early for Radiohead 2016 and can completely empathize with you. I sincerely wish the experience will be better for you this time, even with this change (You never know how these things end up looking IRL, maybe it isn't so bad after all)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Orens said:

Wet Leg have just released their album last month, which is also featured on all the big indie (and some rock) playlists. They gather a ton of monthly listeners (in some cases might be even 70%+ of their total) off passive listening from those playlists. While they get a higher exposure, it doesn't give us any strong indications that people will actively choose them over acts with less monthly listeners (Fontaines are playing Mordor with about half the amount of monthly listeners)

That's a fair point, but they're the hottest indie "blog" band going right now, I fully expect them to have a larger crowd than Fontaines DC.

6 hours ago, Hip Priest said:

If you compare the 2022 map with the 2019 one you can see that the greyed out area is different now and suggests you won't be able to hop between Primavera and Ray-Ban as before. As pointed out by another poster, the position/orientation of the Primavera stage has also been changed a little.

That VIP area has been there for a while now. It's not a stand, is it, just an enclosed area (can't remember).

That would indeed create a bottleneck to leave and arrive at that stage. 

Also it might create the illusion of that stage being full with people ending up on the closest side to the entrance and the side in the direction of Ray-Ban being less occupied. 

I bought my VIP-Tickets since years only because of that two front pits. Being in the front row of two or three bands you like without having to miss 4 concerts at the same day because not having to wait 4 hours was worth the 200+. But now they have skipped this??? Really? 

10 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Stuff: summer clothes, undies and socks, jacket/hoodie for night, hat, shades, small backpacks, flasks for smuggling, eye masks and earplugs for plane/hotel, face masks if needed anywhere, books for travel/downtime

Consumables: Sun spray / aftersun, small sun CREAM for taking in (can't take spray), hand sanitiser, small tissue pack, compeed plasters, cheap toothbrush, travel bathroom supplies

Buy in Spain: Booze, snacks, paracetamol, 330ml water bottles hide caps, cigarettes, extra curricular substances optional 

There's my list if it helps! 

Powerbank. Especially if you want a 1am walk in and out 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ohseptember said:

I'll be one of those punters & I'm particularly angry. Tried out VIP in 2013 & didn't think much of it. Went back to regular tickets. Didn't notice the VIP front pits till showing up super early for Radiohead in 2016. As I watched people casually stroll in & out of that VIP pit for ~4 hours that day, my feelings about it not being worth it changed.

Decided to buy VIP the moment Pavement was announced. And now, after holding out hope for the last week that it wasn't the case, the festival confirms they've done away with the front VIP pit. Meaning, in order for me to secure a spot close to the stage for Pavement, I'll have to camp out during one of the trendiest acts of the entire festival?! Or somehow maneuver myself to the front as a mass exodus is happening. Perrrrrfect.

Can't help but feel cursed. As if being short isn't a curse already.

Yeah.. my only hope now that people who watch Tame Impala will go to Fred Again or 100 gecs, so I’m able to get good viewing position when watching Pavement

7 minutes ago, Bram said:

Yeah.. my only hope now that people who watch Tame Impala will go to Fred Again or 100 gecs, so I’m able to get good viewing position when watching Pavement

Really. People are completely exaggerating this not getting a good spot thing. Especially if you are just alone or with 2 you usually can get really far even when arriving late. 
I am also quite convinced that Pavement won’t be the biggest crowd ever. See you at the front however 😎

6 hours ago, purplecowz said:

That's a fair point, but they're the hottest indie "blog" band going right now, I fully expect them to have a larger crowd than Fontaines DC.

I will be seeing fontaines dc as I think they have a bunch of good songs now. Wet Leg, not so sure. Chaise song is obvs incredible. They will be fun to see I'm sure. 

Out of interest, what are the blogs that you're referring to here? I genuinely feel like all the nice music blogs I visited 5 - 10 years ago have all faded away or ended. I used to get into whatever Thug Clive cited in Vice, but he just mentions ambient stuff now 😂 - he turned me on to Tyler about a decade ago. 

12 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

Saw them in 2018 and enjoyed it, though it was very short and had hardly any songs from my favourite records, I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One & And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out

Dinosaur Jr into yo la tengo on the Ray ban. Borrowed nostalgia for the unremebered noughties primavera sounds that most of us didn't attend. 

I think yo la tengo will play at least a handful of the big recognisable songs. I saw the bass player watching the other 2 band members performing in Mike mills' big star auditori show in 2012. I just went up to him, shook his hand and said "Stockholm syndrome" 😁

VIP change for me is a positive - I'm not a big fan of "pay more to get better view" approach, especially in standing up concerts - and in my experience VIP front row audience was often less excited/fan than the crowd who got front row "organically".

But definitely, the change should have been communicated much earlier (preferably as soon as VIP tickets came on sale) and I can definitely sympathize with VIP ticket holders who feel ripped off. I predict a big drop in VIP ticket sales next year. I used to regret not getting VIP this year, now I don't think ill get VIP in future festivals either. 

9 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

Indeed. But that would be a total waste of space in front of that stage and double the time needed to change between the two stages as well as creating a totally unneccessary bottleneck. Lets just hope they don't do that. Also, the map doesn't show why they'd need to move the stage further towards the grass ramp.

Think they done that to give that VIP area a better view of the stage

33 minutes ago, Fnmentaluk said:

Think they done that to give that VIP area a better view of the stage

Except that the VIP section's angle only got worse.

2019:

image.png.0bebb77bf0eb163fc65a1f61f3b13546.png

2022:

image.png.3273bc7e9fd9b9bb03604ac6aab7de7b.png

VIP's just not worth it anymore in Primavera, I wish we would've known this a while ago.

Edited by Orens

I really do think those disappointed with VIP will change their tune once they're in their private viewing/bar/toilet area watching everyone else scramble about.

Plus, front row is definitely not necessarily the best place to see a band, take it from a Tool fan. 

34 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I really do think those disappointed with VIP will change their tune once they're in their private viewing/bar/toilet area watching everyone else scramble about.

Plus, front row is definitely not necessarily the best place to see a band, take it from a Tool fan. 

I would change my ticket had I known about the changes, and I believe the ticket value went down compared to previous editions in Mordor, Ciutat and also at the Primavera/Crypto stage.

I've been easy on PS for years but their lack of communication is inexcusable, they deserve the bash and we deserve better (both regular and VIP ticket holders).

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

Really depends on who you see.

With certain bands like Tool you want to sit back and soak it all in. Tame Impala in my experience are better seen at the back. However with high energy performances such as IDLES and Slowthai I will want to get to where the dancing/moshing is.