Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

19 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

Ah okay, so non-spray suncream is fine? Good to know, thank you. What's their reasoning for this?

it's to do with it being liquid i guess? some people i knew got in fine but with us they unscrewed the lid, and then said we couldn't take it in. 

16 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Not sure what you mean, the setlist sounds solid to me. But actually I kinda liked the new album. The run from 2->5 in this setlist sounds fucking awesome. I'm kinda worried about a potential 10 minutes version of "Plant Life" (see their KEXP) but a lot of the other stuff from their new album is great.

I'll probably end up seeing the National anyway, but I'm quite bummed out about missing PC.

SPOILER ABOUT PARQUET COURTS SET INCOMING

No Total Football, no Wide Awake, no Stoned And Starving, no Outside, no Berlin Got Blurry,... Can't get my head over the fact that songs like Plant Life, What Color Is Blood, Pulcinella, Paraphrased got chosen over them...

1 hour ago, deadpheasant said:

Heard pickpocketing is a big issue in Barcelona & late at PS.

What's the best ways to combat this and what bag should I use to carry my phone/wallet in?

Looked into this recently & discovered S-Biners.

Small carabiner clips that add another level of faff for a thief to have to deal with in the moment. Remains easy enough for you to open & close when you need access.

Obviously, no protection against someone slicing your bag open but does work against someone dipping their hand.

The one shown is quite big, the smaller ones blend right into your zip.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nite-Ize-S-Biner-Stainless-Carabiner/dp/B00BKVPU08

S-Biner® Dual Carabiner Stainless Steel #1 - 2 Pack – Nite Ize UK

Edited by Karl_Mcr
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

it's to do with it being liquid i guess? some people i knew got in fine but with us they unscrewed the lid, and then said we couldn't take it in. 

In 2016 we were told that its because they can explode. 

Probably a policy to ban sunsprays in deodorant like cans that are under pressure, but as the majority of spray-sunscreen for obvious reasons isn't in those, I always felt it to be quite stupid.

Edited by Quadrophobia

20 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

No Total Football, no Wide Awake, no Stoned And Starving, no Outside, no Berlin Got Blurry,... Can't get my head over the fact that songs like Plant Life, What Color Is Blood, Pulcinella, Paraphrased got chosen over them...

I've seen Parquet Courts 6 times going back to 2015 and think they've only played Stoned and Starving once or twice at those so can't be too surprised at that omission.

31 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

They actually played it 2 days ago, and I'm pretty sure their festival set might look a bit different

35 minutes ago, Boss89 said:

If you look at the setlist they played in Tulip Festival (whatever that is) two days ago, 3 of the 5 songs you listed were played there. So there's hope I guess. But I admit the omission of the first song in your list of all the setlist is indeed weird.

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

Friends of mine have had their pockets slit and valuables stolen at PS, friends of mine who lived in BCN had their phones just snapped out of their hands around the city several times. Its not much worse than in any other tourist city, but its definitely a thing. 

Don't take unneccessary things with you, leave all cards you dont need at home, don't bring too much cash.

Never put any valuables in your back pockets or in any bag thats not directly on your body.

In the city, don't wear your backpacks on the front, only signals you have valuables in there.

Barcelona is unfortunately in my opinion one of the more dangerous European cities I have visited, in terms of petty crime at least.  A friend was mugged in the "el raval" area round 2007.  A guy attempted to mug me there in 2011 (he pretended he was doing a football dance with me, but tried to head butt me).  That whole area (halfway down ramblas, into the right) is rough.  Keep your wits about you if venturing to (for example) bar marsella (the fun absinthe bar).  I had my phone stolen off a restaurant table in Barceloneta in 2013 (daft to have left my phone out, I'm not even sure how it was stolen, I think there's a possibility it was one of the staff 😞 ). In-festival itself, a friend had his phone stolen (from back pocket) making his way nearer the front for Radiohead in 2016.  I wouldn't be surprised if the fest itself was now a hunting ground for pickpockets.

15 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Barcelona is unfortunately in my opinion one of the more dangerous European cities I have visited, in terms of petty crime at least.  A friend was mugged in the "el raval" area round 2007.  A guy attempted to mug me there in 2011 (he pretended he was doing a football dance with me, but tried to head butt me).  That whole area (halfway down ramblas, into the right) is rough.  Keep your wits about you if venturing to (for example) bar marsella (the fun absinthe bar).  I had my phone stolen off a restaurant table in Barceloneta in 2013 (daft to have left my phone out, I'm not even sure how it was stolen, I think there's a possibility it was one of the staff 😞 ). In-festival itself, a friend had his phone stolen (from back pocket) making his way nearer the front for Radiohead in 2016.  I wouldn't be surprised if the fest itself was now a hunting ground for pickpockets.

even more you now have to have your iPhone etc. with you... with all the people late at night walking home... 

I hate to pile in on a city I love, but they really haven't dealt with the pickpocket problem. If there's something you want to get rid of, stick in your back pocket and spend ten seconds on the Ramblas. 

I don't think direct mugging is a big issue at all, but I had the same experience as JohnDenis. A stranger stepped out in front of me and started dancing, as a prelude to God knows what. I pushed him away instinctively, and saw that he had a couple of colleagues who weren't too happy. But it didn't go any further than that. 

I haven't had any problems at the festival, but loose pockets would certainly be a bad idea. 

Will there be tickets for the Auditori concerts? I'm still having issues with my Festivalticket and I am mailing all around, so haven't had the time to read all the news from the Festival. I want to see Low in the Auditori. Can you stay inside after Marina Herlop has finished?... 

20 minutes ago, branvan said:

Will there be tickets for the Auditori concerts? I'm still having issues with my Festivalticket and I am mailing all around, so haven't had the time to read all the news from the Festival. I want to see Low in the Auditori. Can you stay inside after Marina Herlop has finished?... 

No ticket required , and you can stay for the next concert , but there is no place to buy food or drink and I'm sure you couldn't bring drinks in .

29 minutes ago, Modesty Powder said:

I hate to pile in on a city I love, but they really haven't dealt with the pickpocket problem. If there's something you want to get rid of, stick in your back pocket and spend ten seconds on the Ramblas. 

I don't think direct mugging is a big issue at all, but I had the same experience as JohnDenis. A stranger stepped out in front of me and started dancing, as a prelude to God knows what. I pushed him away instinctively, and saw that he had a couple of colleagues who weren't too happy. But it didn't go any further than that. 

I haven't had any problems at the festival, but loose pockets would certainly be a bad idea. 

From my experience as a tourist Raval, Gothic, and Poblesec are the areas with the high caution. Eixample, La Sagrada Familia mid caution. And Poblenou, Gracia and Sarria low caution to pretty safe. But I might be wrong.

just on the general convo of safety and pick pocketing. avoid the La Mina area , which is not too far from primavera when walking home. one of the roughest areas according to my local catalan friends and told me to get a taxi / tram and never walk through the area at night, even in groups. 

Luckily trams run 24h through the fest so no reason to but if you are staying in the area , better to get a taxi straight to your door. Just a heads up!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

We definitely wanna check out some of the cool food carts but I'm really not sure when. Gonna have to poke a few holes in the schedule!

Any veterans see returning favourites we absolutely must eat? 

I've never taken any notice of the branding of them, to be honest – there's never been anything particularly mindblowing or memorable in the past, but there's generally some stuff across different price points. Some of these sound interesting but eating on site really adds up over the course of a weekend if you're adding in drinking as well.

It's always just been somewhere I'd go if I was hungry and/or needed a sit down rather than somewhere I'd conciously spend time at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

We definitely wanna check out some of the cool food carts but I'm really not sure when. Gonna have to poke a few holes in the schedule!

Any veterans see returning favourites we absolutely must eat? 

not familiar with the names to say if it's the same as previous years, but for me it always sounded good on the website but ended up as overpriced events-junkfood. 

don't get your hopes up

15 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

just on the general convo of safety and pick pocketing. avoid the La Mina area , which is not too far from primavera when walking home. one of the roughest areas according to my local catalan friends and told me to get a taxi / tram and never walk through the area at night, even in groups. 

Luckily trams run 24h through the fest so no reason to but if you are staying in the area , better to get a taxi straight to your door. Just a heads up!

strongly agree with the above. The only hassle ive ever had in Barcelona was when i skirted past this area short cutting back to our room. 

Lived just one street off the bottom of La Rambla in the Raval neighbourhood for 3 years and can confirm just be self-aware and you'll be fine. Bags always between your legs or in sight when you're sitting at a table outside, slap your pockets every now and then to check it's all there and try and wear trousers with deep pockets that are a bit tight. If you want to wear shorts (recommended for Primavera weather) it's great to have a bumbag or small bag you can wear on your front to keep everything in behind a zip. When you're walking home keep a firm grip on your phone if it's in your hand and try not to look lost or too much like a tourist (easier said than done when sloshed at 5am). I've been here for over 5 years and almost never have problems. 

Biggest advice would be for anyone planning to go to venues in Poblenou for the Ciutat gigs. Razzmatazz is a very popular club and I know a fair few people who've been pickpocketed around there, so leaving concerts late from that venue will be a prime spot. Thieves here run away if you call them out and more sneaky than aggressive. You'll all be absolutely fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2