Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

9 minutes ago, KGeedora said:

I just hope Beck doesn't do the same thing. Parquet's recent album wasn't amazing, but Beck's last 2 records were actually unlistenable 

Don't think it'll be a problem. He didn't play a single track from either album at SXSW 2 months ago.

58 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Exclusive entrance to the festival site // Acces to all VIP areas until full capacity is reached // Access to the exclusive viewing areas until full capacity is reached // Welcome pack

Seems it’s the same as every year except that the viewing areas at Mordor aren’t right next to the stage any more.

Last couple of years has also included a beach club just across the bridge. Does appear that VIPs will be only ones able to used that bridge. Unclear if that will also be shortcut to BITS.

Advantages seem to be get away from the masses in Mordor which I won't be spending too much time at anyway, looking at my timetable. I think I saw mention of discounted VIP bars which could be handy around Mordor. There to be sussed out on the day I suppose.

I found an article from 2019 mentioning Desparados Bar & Soho House (sun loungers by a pool) ... I presume this is the area over the bridge.

6 minutes ago, KGeedora said:

thank Christ

@BenG92do you think the SXSW setlist is close to what he will play at Primavera?  I looked at it a few weeks ago and was a bit bewildered to be honest.  Nothing off Guero, which I think is one of his most fun and accessible albums.  Neither of the huge Midnite Vultures songs.  I would only have recognised 2 of the 4 (!) covers.   https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/beck/2022/acl-live-at-the-moody-theater-austin-tx-63891ad3.html

Compare it to the set I saw him perform at Flow in Helsinki in 2015 - it flagged a bit in the second half, but it was a greatest hits in comparison - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/beck/2015/suvilahti-helsinki-finland-bf7f962.html

Imo if you are going to take a festival's money, I think you should perform a festival set.

3 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

@BenG92do you think the SXSW setlist is close to what he will play at Primavera?  I looked at it a few weeks ago and was a bit bewildered to be honest.  Nothing off Guero, which I think is one of his most fun and accessible albums.  Neither of the huge Midnite Vultures songs.  I would only have recognised 2 of the 4 (!) covers.   https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/beck/2022/acl-live-at-the-moody-theater-austin-tx-63891ad3.html

Compare it to the set I saw him perform at Flow in Helsinki in 2015 - it flagged a bit in the second half, but it was a greatest hits in comparison - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/beck/2015/suvilahti-helsinki-finland-bf7f962.html

Imo if you are going to take a festival's money, I think you should perform a festival set.

Nah it was an acoustic set so largely just songs that lend themselves to being played acoustic. Won’t be like that at Primavera.

1 hour ago, Boss89 said:

I saw Parquet Courts last night, very disappointed with their setlist. Don't know if they change their sets a lot on the same tour. But it makes the clash Parquet Courts / The National / Warpaint atleast a little easier for me. 

You can easily see their setlists on sites like setlist .fm  or use setify .co to listen up on setlists on sxfy. I have listened up on the Parquet Courts setlist for a while, it is fairly consistent from show to show. I have not seen Parquet Courts live yet, it is one of my highest priorities 🙂

https://setify.co/s/3b7750b

13 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Just used it as an example of him playing a long show recently with no newer songs. In reality he will (should at least) have more well known tracks at Primavera than SXSW as it was an acoustic set

4 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Heard pickpocketing is a big issue in Barcelona & late at PS.

What's the best ways to combat this and what bag should I use to carry my phone/wallet in?

When I went in 2017, I anecdotally heard/over heard about so many phones getting nicked.  If you can have your valuables in your front pocket, that's your best bet.  I'm going cargo shorts with multiple pockets, same as last time.

However, I don't think it's any worse than any other festival I've been to.  I find camping festivals much worse, had a couple of "drunk" people "accidentally" unzip my tent in the middle of the night, but thankfully I woke up

8 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

What's the best ways to combat this and what bag should I use to carry my phone/wallet in?

Buy some kind of small across the body bumbag type thing for your valuables that you can wear on your front rather than back and possibly even under your clothes so that it’s not accessible to pickpockets. I’m doing that for money, phone etc and then gonna have a separate backpack for stuff like a jumper, snacks and stuff that isn’t worth stealing or that wouldn’t ruin my holiday if it were stolen. 

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

When I last saw them on the Wide Awake tour they had a habit of killing the momentum with shit stage banter and fucking around with their instruments whilst they tuned them up etc.

Tbh their new album still hasn’t really landed with me so I’m not nearly as gutted about missing them as I would’ve been a few years back. 

I'm a bit in the same boat. Love them, but the last album hasn't grabbed me at all. In addition, the first time I saw them was Primavera years ago, and it was a pretty crappy gig. Might have been the audience, but what's being reported about the current tour doesn't bode well.

6 minutes ago, daveje said:

I'm a bit in the same boat. Love them, but the last album hasn't grabbed me at all. In addition, the first time I saw them was Primavera years ago, and it was a pretty crappy gig. Might have been the audience, but what's being reported about the current tour doesn't bode well.

With Beck, The National, Warpaint and Little Simz all overlapping at the same time, it's a very hard sell. 

29 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

another bit of admin as 'Vera draws ever closer - as i recall spray sun lotions are not allowed in and get taken away at the gate, so you need creams/lotions if you're a pasty one that fries in 5 minutes like me...

Ah okay, so non-spray suncream is fine? Good to know, thank you. What's their reasoning for this?

1 hour ago, Boss89 said:

Atleast 5+ of their bests songs not played (if you ask me). Don't want to spoil it for everyone, so not going to say which ones. If you'd like to know check setlist.fm. And everytime when they played a song that was well received and got people moving a bit, they seemed to play a slower/experimental song after, so that the atmosphere was dead again. Like they didn't want to win over the crowd on purpose. 

But the band played very well, just a shame what decision they made regarding their setlist.

Not sure what you mean, the setlist sounds solid to me. But actually I kinda liked the new album. The run from 2->5 in this setlist sounds fucking awesome. I'm kinda worried about a potential 10 minutes version of "Plant Life" (see their KEXP) but a lot of the other stuff from their new album is great.

I'll probably end up seeing the National anyway, but I'm quite bummed out about missing PC.

44 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Friends of mine have had their pockets slit and valuables stolen at PS, friends of mine who lived in BCN had their phones just snapped out of their hands around the city several times. Its not much worse than in any other tourist city, but its definitely a thing. 

Don't take unneccessary things with you, leave all cards you dont need at home, don't bring too much cash.

Never put any valuables in your back pockets or in any bag thats not directly on your body.

In the city, don't wear your backpacks on the front, only signals you have valuables in there.