Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

47 minutes ago, MeMeMeM said:

Minimusica will not host 48 family-friendly gigs (usually, is 2 per day).

The 48 gigs (it seems that many local bands and artists are invited to play there) are planed for the 3 small stages by the sea (Barcelona Sona zone):

"minimúsica will once again be the best meeting point for the whole family and the Barcelona Sona zone, which is premiering as the perfect area to chill for a while by the sea, will host 48 concerts and sessions that will concentrate the best of the local talent on its three stages (Estrella Damm Sona, Tous Sona and Jack Daniel's Sona)."

Oh, no idea why I was reading it from automatic Google Translate or something. That actually makes more sense, thanks.

So in addition to upcoming the Boiler Room stage lineup we're getting 3 small stages which could hold an international surprise, as it's going to be really low-profile after the timetables were published (also pretty close to the area we could enter with a token back in 2017)

3 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

Thursday wk1 is pretty poor for PS standards without MA. One must see, charli for the fun, the two good ones clashing (yo la tengo and the armed). The rest of the acts are not unmissable 

on the other hand i think I’be never seen days that dense like Saturday wk1 2 or Thursday wk2… it’s a shame they didn’t manage to spread the quality a bit more but this is how it goes 

otoboke beaver, Myd (live) are unmissable for me - even though it's pretty late

26 minutes ago, Orens said:

Oh, no idea why I was reading it from automatic Google Translate or something. That actually makes more sense, thanks.

So in addition to upcoming the Boiler Room stage lineup we're getting 3 small stages which could hold an international surprise, as it's going to be really low-profile after the timetables were published (also pretty close to the area we could enter with a token back in 2017)

Yeah, I agree with you. We can get some surprises there (or, at least one band per day repeating there, like Alice Phoebe Lou or Chai in 2019, for example).

I guess double weekend attendees are not allowed to complain about clashes? But having had a thorough look through the schedule I must say the Thursday W2 is the worst. Top 3 bands playing exactly at the same time - Slowdive, Interpol and Big Thief (plus also Pile rougly on at same time). Seems strange to have Slowdive and Interpol clash. But I guess I can forgive them as both play the Ciutat programme. 

Other than that I dont know what to do with Yo La Tengo vs The Armed? 

100 Gecs + Black Lips + Being in time for Black Midi or Pavement and coming late for Black Midi?

Iosonouncane and Fontaines DC partial clash is a bit rough but will at least catch the end of Fontaines DC. 

King Gizz (though might see them 3 times at Ciutat) vs Tropical Fuck Storm?

Las Ligas Menores are still in the schedule - hopefully replaced in that spot by Bestia Bebe? Seems like same kind of genre more or less (and also from Argentina?). 

Idles vs DIIV? - I guess either will be possible to catch another year. 

On Friday W2 there are four nice Spanish language indie rock/shoegazey groups but partial clashes between the four which is a bit annoying. But will still be possible to catch parts of all four sets - Nueva Vulcano -> Apartamentos Acapulco -> Menta -> Triangulo de Amor Bizarro. 

Mogwai vs Yeah Yeah Yeahs - annoying but easy as it's always gonna be Mogwai!

Overall maybe more clashes than I had feared but looking through the entire schedule it will be possible to catch close to 100 sets over 11 days which is not bad!

One of my biggest gripes with the scheduling is that a lot of the doubled up acts across both weekends don’t have anybody particularly strong/must see opposite them on either weekend, which is something I was hoping would be a massive benefit of all the double sets and relieve me of some major clashes, whereas the headliners playing just the once seem to have all the major clashes up against them. Tame Impala, for example, are going relatively unopposed both times they play, and tbh I wouldn’t have minded skipping them entirely.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Orens said:

otoboke beaver, Myd (live) are unmissable for me - even though it's pretty late

Les savy fav, Kim Gordon, 100gecs, pavement, black lips, yo la tengo, the armed, girl in red, black midi, dj shadow, lingua ignota. Day is stacked for me

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

One of my biggest gripes with the scheduling is that a lot of the doubled up acts across both weekends don’t have anybody particularly strong/must see opposite them on either weekend, which is something I was hoping would be a massive benefit of all the double sets and relieve me of some major clashes, whereas the headliners playing just the once seem to have all the major clashes up against them. Tame Impala, for example, are going relatively unopposed both times they play, and tbh I wouldn’t have minded skipping them entirely.

Totally 100% agree, especially about Tame conflicts. And then they shove a bunch of other single weekend acts up against each other. It'll still be wonderful but it's frustrating to have to choose between Jessie Ware/Phoenix and Mogwai/YYYs/Fred Again, and then there's really nothing appealing during Tame. Like I guess I'll go check out Angele because i'm not going to see Tame twice? I dunno.

Edited by purplecowz

Biggest clashes for me:

Beck vs Little Simz vs Parquet Courts. probably the biggest lose for me, I'll see Beck, Simz on Sunday and PC will wait for next time

Wet Leg vs Fontaines DC. will start with Wet Leg and decide if I leave early

National vs Warpaint

Strokes vs Earl Sweatshirt

Jaime XX vs Caribou

Gustaf vs Sharon Van Eaten & Yo La Tengo - wished to see Gustaf, oh well..

Jenny Eval vs Porridge Radio - new Porridge Radio album out today, it will help me decide

Mavis Staples vs Die Katapult vs Tim Burgess vs Rapsody - I will probably wont have another chance to see Mavis, so...

Black Country, New Road vs Jamila Woods 

Gorillaz vs Diiv

Tyler vs Squarepusher. going to Bits for Squarepusher means missing a big part of disclosure

a few loses, but overall with how packed the lineup is, it's not worse than I thought

9 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

Thursday wk1 is pretty poor for PS standards without MA. One must see, charli for the fun, the two good ones clashing (yo la tengo and the armed). The rest of the acts are not unmissable 

on the other hand i think I’be never seen days that dense like Saturday wk1 2 or Thursday wk2… it’s a shame they didn’t manage to spread the quality a bit more but this is how it goes 

Kinda wish people would stop posting their opinions as facts. Wk1 Thursday is ridiculously stacked. You have Kim Gordon, Faye Webster, SVE, Dinosaur Jr, Richard Dawson, Girl in Red, Les Savy Fav, Yo La Tengo all playing before 11. Then you have the best band of the entire festival (and arguably the last 30 years in music) - Pavement of course. And than there's black midi, 100gecs, fred again, black lips, o beaver, dj shadow... It's literally one of the most stacked days I remember in primavera history for me. 

Personally I find wk2 as a whole to be very underwhelming - like, I struggle to find more than 1-2 exciting acts there most days - but I recognize other people enjoy it so you don't see me going around writing those kind of messages.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jannybruck said:

It'll be busy as there's nothing notable up against them and they'll catch a lot of the crowd that are getting on site at that 7pmish time.

Yeah i think theyre the first notable act of the day for me, so planning on getting there a bit early to get a good spot. I imagine there'll be a bit of a rush to catch the end of Fontaines as well after they finish. 

Just noticed that there's only 3 acts on the first Saturday on Estrella stage (Gorillaz final act scheduled ends at 1:20), whereas all the other fest days have 4 acts there, and it's the only day of the whole festival that there's no artist playing at / after 2am, or even past 3am. Maybe an open slot for a mid-tier addition? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, purplecowz said:

Just noticed that there's only 3 acts on the first Saturday on Estrella stage (Gorillaz final act scheduled ends at 1:20), whereas all the other fest days have 4 acts there, and it's the only day of the whole festival that there's no artist playing at / after 2am, or even past 3am. Maybe an open slot for a mid-tier addition? 

It's this kind of sharp forensic analysis that I come for here for.

There must be surprises of some kind...

• Like 1