Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I have a question on behalf of the newbies for the veterans. People have been telling me for years that Primavera is a really amazing festival so I'm glad to finally be going. Music aside (as that's obvious), would you say are the things that make it so exceptional? I'm thinking weather, location, venues, atmosphere etc... what would sum up what makes it so great for you?

Weather, venue, location, atmosphere. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I have a question on behalf of the newbies for the veterans. People have been telling me for years that Primavera is a really amazing festival so I'm glad to finally be going. Music aside (as that's obvious), would you say are the things that make it so exceptional? I'm thinking weather, location, venues, atmosphere etc... what would sum up what makes it so great for you?

Definitely location. Parc Del Forum is not particularly beautiful in itself but the elevated areas give you a strange feeling of standing on the edge of the sea and in the middle of the city simultaneously. 

Also some of the mid-size stages are just excellent. Sound is good at nearly all stages, which is rather uncommon for most festivals I know.

Atmosphere is great overall, though the audience is extremely chatty, so don't expect the most involved crowds at anything but the big acts.

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's all of those things you've listed in equal measure for me plus the incredible curation across c.17 stages, which means there's always something worth watching and a chance to broaden your musical horizons. And then can't beat sleeping in an actual bed to recover and having access to a fabulous city by day.

Nothing I've ever found anywhere offers the above. 

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The amount and sheer diversity of music you get to hear in a single day is unmatched.

From 12PM until 06AM, it's an incredibly long and rich musical journey.

22 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

+ lovely, friendly and diverse crowd

7 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Definitely location. Parc Del Forum is not particularly beautiful in itself but the elevated areas give you a strange feeling of standing on the edge of the sea and in the middle of the city simultaneously. 

Also some of the mid-size stages are just excellent. Sound is good at nearly all stages, which is rather uncommon for most festivals I know.

Atmosphere is great overall, though the audience is extremely chatty, so don't expect the most involved crowds at anything but the big acts.

Thanks! Sad to see a few posts now about chatty crowds. That seems to have been a  growing trend every where for a while now.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Although this somewhat outweighs the above!

I clearly remember watching Radiohead and the crowd around us was utterly silent. Was amazing. Don't remember ever being in any live show where such a huge audience was that disciplined.

The crowd can have pockets of chatty people as it's in Spain, which is one of the most social places on earth. 

I've never found it a problem in all my years of going and it's really not that bad, especially away from Mordor. There are practically no pissed up lager boys which is an infinitely worse issue at festivals. People are generally respectful of others.

If I've ever encountered it, I just move a bit and problem solved.

Edited by xxialac

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

The crowd can have pockets of chatty people as it's in Spain, which is one of the most social places on earth. 

I've never found it a problem in all my years of going and it's really not that bad, especially away from Mordor. There are practically no pissed up lager boys which is an infinitely worse issue at festivals.

I've had a lot of those encounters, but I'm quite sensitive too.

Definitely loving it that there are hardly any agressive or too-drunk-to-care guys at Primavera and if there are, people won't let them behave like shit. 

The guys selling drugs in the crowd are a bit annoying, but I guess you get them anywhere

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I've never found it a problem in all my years of going and it's really not that bad, especially away from Mordor. There are practically no pissed up lager boys which is an infinitely worse issue at festivals. People are generally respectful of others.

Great! I find it a problem in the UK now anyway so it's not like its unique to anywhere.

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Indeed, very respectful crowd. Zero risk of getting hit by a pint full of piss in the neck during a gig.

It’s a festival of music lovers and hedonists. 

30 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Well. for me I think the thing that sets it aside from other festivals is only the  music, always quality and varied acts, as much as I love Primavera ,location, food etc IMO are no better than the good UK festivals, Green Man, E.O.T.R, plus I do not really like the main 2 stages at Primavera and try to avoid them if at all possible, I just find that huge stage area soulless, the rest of the stages are great though..

24 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What everyone says plus, for me, the fact that there is no camping is also a big adventage. And I don't mean it just in a way that I don't like camping (which I don't) and I consider sleeping in a hotel SO much more comfortable (which I do) but it also creates a big part of atmosphere for me. I really enjoy that every time I come to the festival area, everything and EVERYONE is clean and polished and smells good and all is set for us to enjoy another day (and night) of music just like it was the first day of the festival.

6 minutes ago, strackoftracknfield said:

Not surprised to see Nick Cave in a lot of Top 5s. He goes from the most beautiful ballad to an absolute hell of sound. The connection with the audience is amazing also. If anyone is seeing the Bad Seeds for the first time: you are not ready. 

I reckon it will be packed during his set, but I want to witness this as close to the barriers as possible.

This will be my 9th Primavera & I've never had any issue with people chatting in the crowd - only time was PJ Harvey after getting there late post Drive Like Jehu (what a set!) & being stuck out near the back & as expected people were chatting - otherwise whenever I've been down near the front / middle, no problem.

I also remember the 2019 crowd being incredible, so diverse & everyone so up for every band I saw.  3 years since the last edition & I can only imagine what people are going to be like this year.

Seriously excited now!!!

OH - and any new Primavera people, make sure you don't miss the Auditori stage, so beautiful & great for some early shows on the Friday / Saturdays - & like others have said, people do love a nap in here.

36 minutes ago, pipan said:

What everyone says plus, for me, the fact that there is no camping is also a big adventage. And I don't mean it just in a way that I don't like camping (which I don't) and I consider sleeping in a hotel SO much more comfortable (which I do) but it also creates a big part of atmosphere for me. I really enjoy that every time I come to the festival area, everything and EVERYONE is clean and polished and smells good and all is set for us to enjoy another day (and night) of music just like it was the first day of the festival.

That's really interesting, thanks! I thought it might be lacking that "all in it together" feeling you get from a camping festival so good to hear. Am very much looking forward to my hotel bed, shower, balcony and swimming pool.

3 minutes ago, livenstu said:

This will be my 9th Primavera & I've never had any issue with people chatting in the crowd - only time was PJ Harvey after getting there late post Drive Like Jehu (what a set!) & being stuck out near the back & as expected people were chatting - otherwise whenever I've been down near the front / middle, no problem.

I also remember the 2019 crowd being incredible, so diverse & everyone so up for every band I saw.  3 years since the last edition & I can only imagine what people are going to be like this year.

Seriously excited now!!!

OH - and any new Primavera people, make sure you don't miss the Auditori stage, so beautiful & great for some early shows on the Friday / Saturdays - & like others have said, people do love a nap in here.

My 9th as well , and i couldnt agree more about Auditori. Half of my personal highlights were there. I was so disappointed when they said that for 2020 edition was unavailable..

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, strackoftracknfield said:

Not surprised to see Nick Cave in a lot of Top 5s. He goes from the most beautiful ballad to an absolute hell of sound. The connection with the audience is amazing also. If anyone is seeing the Bad Seeds for the first time: you are not ready. 

Great post. Got to be like my 20th time I reckon but is always so fucking exciting to be a part of.