Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Who is the most famous person (not playing in a band) anyone has spotted at Primavera?

Big Jeff is what I've got.

Walked past the gates next to Jamie xx once (in a year where he wasn't on the bill)
Then another year, sat in Mordor VIP near the whole of the XX (in a year they were playing)

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

There should be a law that Khruangbin are only allowed to play in the sunshine.

Nah, they're fun at night too. Gonna be a great weed-filled dance party.

Also, I just noticed that the two Ciutat shows with Jorja Smith still have separate tickets on sale at Dice. Which makes me wonder how much demand there is to see her throughout the festival.

2 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Baby Keem added to roskilde and probably supporting Kendrick Lamar for the (yet announced?) dates around glastonbury...would have been happy with him as a replacement honestly  

Think he was born around the time of Massive Attack's last album ; )

Just saw the new Nick Cave film. Really beautiful. Reminded me how incredible that Carnage gig was last October. I love that record so much, really hope I get to see it performed again some time. Even if they do play I'm not expecting much from Carnage.

Will be gutted not to see them but genuinely think the last couple of years have made me somewhat immune to cancellation disappointment. I think I'm always expecting things to be cancelled now! And obviously in such tragic circumstances.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Also, I just noticed that the two Ciutat shows with Jorja Smith still have separate tickets on sale at Dice. Which makes me wonder how much demand there is to see her throughout the festival.

That’s interesting. Tbh she’s only just really breaking out in the U.K. so I wonder if that has at all translated to the rest of Europe or if Primavera took a bit of a gamble in the hope her profile would’ve raised a bit in the year since booking her. She may not be a huge name but I’m surprised they couldn’t even shift 15% of the tickets for her, even with some stiff competition.

I dunno, on one hand I'd be a hypocrite to have a pop at people throwing their arms up at these last minute changes - but after the last 2 years I'm baffled people aren't just grateful the festival is happening at all, whether it be 10 or 100 artists.

That being said, if Big Jeff ain't there I'll be gutted!

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Who is the most famous person (not playing in a band) anyone has spotted at Primavera?

Most famous I've seen is Erlend Oye (he didn't play that year). Guys everwhere. Third time I met him at any festival.

Edit: Upon googling Big Jeff I can confirm I did see him too which led to me not seeing much of Deerhunter in Sala Apolo

Edited by Quadrophobia

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

I'm amazed at the level of pure stupidity on social media right now. People honestly tearing up, because two midweek gigs wer canceled one of which would've been a 20-minute or so showcase-appearance by an act playing both weekends and the other a world-famous DJ playing a 280 PAX venue with technically close to 200.000 people elligeble for access. Just mental to take it for granted you'd get into that. 
How the hell did these people think they were going to get into every single ciutat show? How naive can one be?

Communication-wise, PS should've waited much longer before releasing the midweek lineup, especially the big names. They're doing a terrible job at PR - as usual - but ther anger is down to peoples absurd expectations.

They should be happy they are not a football team. Pure hate and death threats aimed at players after games. It is disappointing how a lot of people are always focusing on the negative on social media. This will be the most overwhelming and generous festival experience ever. I was very sad to see OM and Turnstile cancel but I am not gonna focus on that when there will be so many days with endless opportunities of great shows. 

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Big Jeff is very easy to catch in Primavera.

In 2019, I arrived to El Prat in the morning...and, woow, Stephen Malkmus is right there, arriving at the same time as me and my wife. But they were waiting for him with a van...we needed to catch the train...we were going to the same place, why they didn't offer a ride?

2 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

I'm amazed at the level of pure stupidity on social media right now. People honestly tearing up, because two midweek gigs wer canceled one of which would've been a 20-minute or so showcase-appearance by an act playing both weekends and the other a world-famous DJ playing a 280 PAX venue with technically close to 200.000 people elligeble for access. Just mental to take it for granted you'd get into that. 
How the hell did these people think they were going to get into every single ciutat show? How naive can one be?

Communication-wise, PS should've waited much longer before releasing the midweek lineup, especially the big names. They're doing a terrible job at PR - as usual - but ther anger is down to peoples absurd expectations.

But it is shitty of them. They've been advertising those gigs for ages, as recently as yesterday even. For them to suddenly be removed just a few hours before the tickets go on and there to be no official announcement - just some tweet - is pretty shit.

Also, read this earlier and my respect for Primavera continues to drop. Great lineups or not, they're starting to sound like a bunch of c*nts tbh

"Fun fact: did you know that every single bar(wo)man in Primavera Sound is Portuguese? There’s a Portuguese company called Eventualidades that has a deal with the festival, every single of these young people volunteers to work in the festival as the offer looks appealing: free transport, food and accommodation in Barcelona, a dream for many, especially for people that come from one the countries with lowest salaries in Europe. It is also paid!

Little do they know that this free accommodation is in a decaying hostel more than 1 hour away from the city and the free transport is a 12hr bus ride. The food during the whole weekend (if you didn’t know, before this year, primavera sound was just only for a weekend) is dry sandwiches from days before and these young people work in average 12/hr per day gaining the minimum salary and are proihibited to assist the festival even when they finish their shift.

I’m just sharing this because I’ve been in that position and I just want to ask you PLEASE be patient when going to the bars asking for drinks. Many of these people don’t speak more than 1 language (even tho Portugal has some of the highest levels of learning foreign languages so you’re lucky cause they at least know the minimum), most of these people never had experience working at a bar and it is extremely overwhelming to see queues of thousands of people piling up and hearing insults of drunk people because they are being ‘slow’ when they had been there standing serving thousands and thousands of people non stop for 10+ hours.

I know we’re all big fans of this festival here but not everything are roses. Please treat the workers kindly."

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Gilgamesh96 said:

But it is shitty of them. They've been advertising those gigs for ages, as recently as yesterday even. For them to suddenly be removed just a few hours before the tickets go on and there to be no official announcement - just some tweet - is pretty shit.

Also, read this earlier and my respect for Primavera continues to drop. Great lineups or not, they're starting to sound like a bunch of c*nts tbh

"Fun fact: did you know that every single bar(wo)man in Primavera Sound is Portuguese? There’s a Portuguese company called Eventualidades that has a deal with the festival, every single of these young people volunteers to work in the festival as the offer looks appealing: free transport, food and accommodation in Barcelona, a dream for many, especially for people that come from one the countries with lowest salaries in Europe. It is also paid!

Little do they know that this free accommodation is in a decaying hostel more than 1 hour away from the city and the free transport is a 12hr bus ride. The food during the whole weekend (if you didn’t know, before this year, primavera sound was just only for a weekend) is dry sandwiches from days before and these young people work in average 12/hr per day gaining the minimum salary and are proihibited to assist the festival even when they finish their shift.

I’m just sharing this because I’ve been in that position and I just want to ask you PLEASE be patient when going to the bars asking for drinks. Many of these people don’t speak more than 1 language (even tho Portugal has some of the highest levels of learning foreign languages so you’re lucky cause they at least know the minimum), most of these people never had experience working at a bar and it is extremely overwhelming to see queues of thousands of people piling up and hearing insults of drunk people because they are being ‘slow’ when they had been there standing serving thousands and thousands of people non stop for 10+ hours.

I know we’re all big fans of this festival here but not everything are roses. Please treat the workers kindly."

Where did you find that info? It would certainly explain why the bars are a mess every year; the organization really should do better there.

41 minutes ago, Gilgamesh96 said:

Some things in this comment are true, others are not. And, by the way, some of these things happen in every single event (not only in Primavera). Welcome to Events/F&B world.

7 hours ago, Gilgamesh96 said:

Not condoning it at all however this is commonplace across the whole events and music festival sector, in no way unique to PS. All this even though workers rights in the EU are probably the best (or least bad) anywhere in the world. And ultimately we have chosen a capitalist system where people are paid according to the laws of supply and demand.

And I certainly wouldn't link this in any way as a sign of bad behaviour to not posting on the official site about two out of 150 Ciutat gigs, which are separate to the main weekend, being cancelled.

7 hours ago, MeMeMeM said:

Some things in this comment are true, others are not. And, by the way, some of these things happen in every single event (not only in Primavera). Welcome to Events/F&B world.

It would not really suprise me, but part of it ist at least outdated. I have definitely seen bar personel hang around at the fest after their shift. Also many of them conversed fluently in Spanish with other guests which gave me the impression it was their mother tongue. Not condoning any of it, but my experience at least suggests that not all of that was true in 2019 at least

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I assume it is widespread, but it is a bit weird how they're kind of saying: we know the workers are treated shittily, but we're not taking responsibility for it and it's on you to be nice to them. Weird flex in my opinion.

I assume whoever posted that is saying: Primavera doesn't treat its workers very well and they're not going to change so please make a point of being kind to them.

And even if Primavera did treat them well, still be kind to them... They're working hard for a bog portion of the day/weekend, so you can get your beer and have a good time for an entire weekend. Not that hard to be kind to other people, just don't be an asshole. Everybody's there to have a good time.

• Upvote 1