Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

They wouldn't be the same size as the acts we've lost, but what about the likes of Jon Hopkins or Hot Chip to parachute in as replacement acts? 

Frank Ocean was replaced by Jamie xx, so certainly a downgrade in terms of size, and the two above are real festival favourites, turning up everywhere. 

6 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

They wouldn't be the same size as the acts we've lost, but what about the likes of Jon Hopkins or Hot Chip to parachute in as replacement acts? 

Frank Ocean was replaced by Jamie xx, so certainly a downgrade in terms of size, and the two above are real festival favourites, turning up everywhere. 

God I’d love to see hot chip appear

12 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

I did think of Jon Hopkins as a Massive Attack replacement. Nowhere near the same size as you say but a replacement that I think would go down well with a decent chunk of Massive Attack fans and I don't think he's playing any Spanish festivals this summer. 

7 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Absolutely mental that Jorja Smith is now considered a top line act at Primavera Sound isn't it 

Can’t help but think the 50/50 gender split has some small part in that what with their not being nearly as many female artists at that level than there are male, although suppose it’s better than when they were trying to pass King Princess off as a headliner on the 2020 poster. 

25 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Can’t help but think the 50/50 gender split has some small part in that what with their not being nearly as many female artists at that level than there are male, although suppose it’s better than when they were trying to pass King Princess off as a headliner on the 2020 poster. 

While I think thats true, acts like Interpol on the headline are also very debatable.

37 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Boo Radleys have a gig on 3 June in UK. Could be option for Hidden (Lush, Swervedriver and Ride have all played there before).

I'm hoping for Saint Etienne and Confidence Man to be added in some capacity, both around. Con Man playing a festival in Madrid on May 19th so hopefully added afterwards

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

While I think thats true, acts like Interpol on the headline are also very debatable.

Mates of the festival so probably just get the call to headline every couple of years whenever the festival is struggling to find somebody else. Just easy festival fodder, really.

Re: Jorja, she’s on the cusp of being pretty big although not quite there yet. I don’t think her crowd(s) will be tiny or anything though, but not somebody I’ll personally be going out of my way to see.

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Mates of the festival so probably just get the call to headline every couple of years whenever the festival is struggling to find somebody else. Just easy festival fodder, really.

Re: Jorja, she’s on the cusp of being pretty big although not quite there yet. I don’t think her crowd(s) will be tiny or anything though, but not somebody I’ll personally be going out of my way to see.

I dunno, you could say the same about Beach House (how many times have they played now?!), yet they aren’t headlining despite headlining elsewhere.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I dunno, you could say the same about Beach House (how many times have they played now?!), yet they aren’t headlining despite headlining elsewhere.

Tbh Beach House could’ve easily been put in the headliner bracket this year and I don’t think anybody would’ve raised an eyebrow so kind of weird they weren’t given some of the other choices/the effort for the gender split. 

A bit late to the Nick Cave discussion, but still - terrible tragedy, and I wouldn't blame him for cancelling. Would be a shame to lose the best performer in the world (imo) and what would surely have been one of the festival's best sets (Nick Cave has a habit of stealing the show whenever he's playing...).

But I'm still silently optimistic he'll play. Nick has talked substantially about grief in recent years, and seemed to have found some sort of answer/solution in sharing his pain and in a communal feeling. Since his son died, he started inviting the audience more and more: encouraging stage invasions during his set (like his last Primavera set), scheduling more and more shows, doing an extensive Conversations Q&A world tour, and maintaining the Red Hand Files where he directly answers fan questions. Playing concerts is his answer to grief, the main question IMO is, would it be too early for him.

Also, it has to be said that Nick's relationship with this specific son is unclear (I'm a superfan and I barely knew this kid existed - I don't recall him ever being mentioned by Nick anywhere, and I read every RHF entry ever). Jethro was suffering from mental illness and was a very troubled kid. Unlike the death of his first son, this one might not come as a surprise to Nick. Obviously, it's still a horrible thing for Nick and no one would blame him if he chose to cancel, and that might just be me refusing to face reality, but I'd say there's still a decent chance he'll play. I'd keep my eyes on the Red Hand Files in the next period.

Edited by yaniv297
  • Upvote 1

I'm actually going to the Porto edition and since the Pandemic, it's interesting to look at how the headliners have changed. 

2020 = Tyler, Pavement, Beck, Lana Del Ray, Bad Bunny
2021 = Tyler, Pavement, Beck, Gorillaz, Bad Bunny
2022 = Nick Cave, Pavement, Beck, Gorillaz, Interpol

Like, it looks like they've definitely downgraded in terms of cost. Bad Bunny is one of the biggest artists in the world, so is Tyler. Instead of them they got Nick Cave and Interpol. Nick Cave is Nick Cave, so I think he is fine instead of Tyler but Interpol is not anywhere near the same planet/universe as Bad Bunny(popularity wise). I don't think they could get away with it if Cave pulls out and they don't replace him. 

Edited by KGeedora

2 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

A bit late to the Nick Cave discussion, but still - terrible tragedy, and I wouldn't blame him for cancelling. Would be a shame to lose the best performer in the world (imo) and what would surely have been one of the festival's best sets (Nick Cave has a habit of stealing the show whenever he's playing...).

But I'm still silently optimistic he'll play. Nick has talked substantially about grief in recent years, and seemed to have found some sort of answer/solution in sharing his pain and in a communal feeling. Since his son died, he started inviting the audience more and more: encouraging stage invasions during his set (like his last Primavera set), scheduling more and more shows, doing an extensive Conversations Q&A world tour, and maintaining the Red Hand Files where he directly answers fan questions. Playing concerts is his answer to grief, the main question IMO is, would it be too early for him.

Also, it has to be said that Nick's relationship with this specific son is unclear (I'm a superfan and I barely knew this kid existed - I don't recall him ever being mentioned by Nick anywhere, and I read every RHF entry ever). Jethro was suffering from mental illness and was a very troubled kid. Obviously, it's still a horrible thing for Nick and no one would blame him if he chose to cancel, and that might just be me refusing to face reality, but I'd say there's still a decent chance he'll play. I'd keep my eyes on the Red Hand Files in the next period.

This is broadly where I am with it. Could see it going either way but it is very early.

I've definitely heard of Jethro before (he had four kids total) but they didn't meet until he was like seven or eight years old. I think it's been quite a strained relationship. Not that that takes away from the trauma of losing a child.