Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

I was hoping to see Pom Pom Squad but just realised they're tagged onto the Phoenix midweek show. I was going to avoid the bigger midweek shows as I'd rather see more of the city than spend too long queueing for gigs. Do you think this one will be difficult to get into?

Just now, chilirocker said:

Nick Cave's son has just died, poor guy - https://www.nme.com/news/music/nick-caves-son-jethro-has-died-aged-31-3221399

I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls out. 

Yeah just seen this. So fucking tragic. Am expecting them to pull out now, which will be gutting but completely understandable. 

Horrendous news. If he does decide to go on with the tour that's gonna be a pretty heart-wrenching show. Cave is the kind of performer that puts so much real emotion into his music that he just might want to play, but I wouldn't blame him for calling everything off. 

8 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

Nick Cave's son has just died, poor guy - https://www.nme.com/news/music/nick-caves-son-jethro-has-died-aged-31-3221399

I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls out. 

Tragic news, horrible that he's having to go through this again. Fully expect him to pull which is gutting but something everyone can understand 

Obviously awful news and completely understandable if he ends up pulling out, but damn what a kick to weekend 1 (again) if he does. 

Surely, if two headliners are missing, they’d need to make some effort in replacing them? Like, one headliner they could maybe get away with not replacing (well, not really, but y’know) but two vacant headliner slots come the festival would be some shit.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Obviously awful news and completely understandable if he ends up pulling out, but damn what a kick to weekend 1 (again) if he does. 

Surely, if two headliners are missing, they’d need to make some effort in replacing them? Like, one headliner they could maybe get away with not replacing (well, not really, but y’know) but two vacant headliner slots come the festival would be some shit.

Yeah it does leave another big hole. Nick Cave and Massive Attack were two of my big draws but both are pulling out (if Cave does) for very good reasons. It's just shit all round. 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I agree, but is there anyone? 

With the money for two headline names they might get other options of bringing someone who wouldn't normally tour, but as noted before, Massive Attack weren't (properly) replaced anywhere else. Might just not be possible.

Horrible news, and fully expecting him to cancel everything this summer.

I'd be really disappointed if they didn't bother replacing any of the slots for pull-outs on weekend 1, given weekend 2 has had a slew of decent mid-tier additions over the past few months and weekend 1 hasn't.

This is a wealthy festival with cash to throw around and there's more than enough acts who'd take a decent cheque for a show at one of the largest festivals in mainland Europe. I don't believe for a second that they are unable to find people to fill these gaps.

• Like 2

I know we've spoke about it before regarding acts for next year, but if Nick did drop out, I would not be surprised if they tried roping someone in from next year, Arcade Fire/Nine Inch Nails spring to mind. But only one of them, not both. But that's only if they've not already drafted in a decent Massive Attack replacement, who knows what's happening with that - if anything.

4 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Horrible news, and fully expecting him to cancel everything this summer.

I'd be really disappointed if they didn't bother replacing any of the slots for pull-outs on weekend 1, given weekend 2 has had a slew of decent mid-tier additions over the past few months and weekend 1 hasn't.

This is a wealthy festival with cash to throw around and there's more than enough acts who'd take a decent cheque for a show at one of the largest festivals in mainland Europe. I don't believe for a second that they are unable to find people to fill these gaps.

4 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I agree, but is there anyone? 

With the money for two headline names they might get other options of bringing someone who wouldn't normally tour, but as noted before, Massive Attack weren't (properly) replaced anywhere else. Might just not be possible.

I’m not gonna try and speculate who they could get, but Primavera are in quite a good position where their headliners often vary in size a bit, ranging from massive acts to more mid-tier acts who wouldn’t headline other major festivals, plus they’re not short on funds, so surely their must be some acts touring around the time and doing the festival scene who they can offer a fuck load of cash to to come do it? They’ve sure done it before in previous years, anyway.