Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

2 hours ago, Martin_89 said:

King Gizz is fucking everything. The new album even has two rap songs. What a band!

I've never really listened to them before, but had already come to the conclusion that they are the sort of band I should go and see having heard as little as possible. The above only makes me even surer that that is the right approach - looking forward to the gig!

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

I've never really listened to them before, but had already come to the conclusion that they are the sort of band I should go and see having heard as little as possible. The above only makes me even surer that that is the right approach - looking forward to the gig!

Honestly pal I'd say the opposite.

When I saw King Gizzard in the past I was fairly new to the band and really didn't enjoy it, I found a lot of songs blended into one another and it just felt repetitive. 

However, I then got really into them last year and listened to the Ally Pally live they released (the show I went to) and honestly appreciated it a lot more. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

When I saw King Gizzard in the past I was fairly new to the band and really didn't enjoy it, I found a lot of songs blended into one another and it just felt repetitive. 

However, I then got really into them last year and listened to the Ally Pally live they released (the show I went to) and honestly appreciated it a lot more. 

Its a pretty demanding thing to get into King Gizz now, considering they'll not repeat songs across their 6 gigs and you'll have to be very deep into their catalogue to know enough songs 😄 

41 minutes ago, Homer said:

Doesn't make any difference does it? Unless you are unvaccinated.

My friends went to Spain last week, they paid £80 for a PCR for their daughter and no-one bothered to check it.

Main worry for me is not about testing positive but being ill! Covid floored me for a week in March so I wouldn't be festival ready if I got it again, even without the ethical decision about not passing it on. Counting on a couple of months of decent antibodies to keep me free from it for a bit though.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

hopefully they're just holding back until the South American lineups tomorrow and we'll be flooded with info next week.

Maybe the MA replacement is also an headliner there and they didn't want to expose it before that, who knows. 

I’ve convinced myself the replacement is either mitski (no Spanish dates!) or Wilco (date in Barcelona 22 June, tough). Mitski would be good as a sub headliner, not really feeling her as a replacement 

On 4/25/2022 at 4:33 PM, Martin_89 said:

Here is the tips I've posted earlier here. Hope this helps:

The ones I have booked this year is:
- Disfrutar: been here twice, one of the best in the world.
- Direkte: never visited
- Lasarte: never visited
- Alchemix: gastro pub/drink bar - never visited

Great place I've been before, that's still open (fuck covid):
- Cinc Sentis: gourmet
- Frankie Gallo Cha Cha Cha: pizza place, close to the Apolo venue
- Fismuler: casual gourmet
- Ten's: tapas
- Bar Brutal: wine bar and great courses to share
- Teòric: tapas
- Auto Rosellon: tapas

Cheap eats:
- Taco Alto: decent tacos, and have several locations

- Little Fern: great breakfast/brunch place
- Black Lab: gastro/burger and craft beer
- Tlaxcal: another tacos place
- Three Marks Coffee: breakfast/brunch place with great coffee
- Parking Pizza: not been here, but it's on my list for this year

Thank you @Martin_89

@ConfidenceManI'm convinced that part of the reason I've sometimes felt so dreadful at the end of previous PS's is because I've eaten virtually nothing for 3 days whilst also going a bit overboard on the liquor etc.  I'm trying to make a plan for each day that will get me out and about a wee bit.  For example I want to go to Carmel Bunkers on Thursday daytime (I arrive pretty early).  I've read Brutal has quite grumpy staff?  But is potentially where you might bump into performing musicians?  I'm vegetarian so that maybe limits my dining options.  Any tips for rooftop bars would also be cool.  I was on the roof of Terraza Hotel 1898 on the Thursday afternoon of Primavera 2016.  Nice view.  Probably nowhere near the coolest rooftop bar but it was pleasant all the same.  

4 hours ago, Homer said:

Doesn't make any difference does it? Unless you are unvaccinated.

My friends went to Spain last week, they paid £80 for a PCR for their daughter and no-one bothered to check it.

fully vaccinated like myself but don’t really want to be swanning about in barcelona as normal with covid

1 hour ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Mitski has become massive. If Yeah Yeah Yeahs can headline, so can she.

Agree. And given the festival is already sold out, I can easily see a semi-headliner being upgraded. On the other hand, YYY co-headline with other 3 bands + tame impala, which are a lot. One might consider the budget has been split into smaller parts for those arguably smaller acts than massive attack.  

Edited by Whos3000_

44 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Mitski has become massive. If Yeah Yeah Yeahs can headline, so can she.

Such a weird evolution Mitksi has been through.

Has become massive for very unpredictable reasons (one song blowing up on tiktok, giving her a core fanbase of teens), not because she has a really solid body of work (which she does). Love here earlier stuff especially.

As a live proposition, she really wasn't very good when she last played Primavera. Has become increasingly stylised in her performances and also no longer plays guitar.

Doesn't feel like a festival headliner to me, even though her listening numbers stack up.

36 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Has become massive for very unpredictable reasons (one song blowing up on tiktok, giving her a core fanbase of teens), not because she has a really solid body of work (which she does). Love here earlier stuff especially.

As a live proposition, she really wasn't very good when she last played Primavera. Has become increasingly stylised in her performances and also no longer plays guitar.

Doesn't feel like a festival headliner to me, even though her listening numbers stack up.

Yeah I suppose it could be argued that she’s ‘big’ enough but I don’t really see it happening. If she’s called in to replace MA, then fair enough, better than nobody, but in a normal year I don’t see her getting the headliner call. Like you say, her rise in popularity has been a very strange one. Imo, her latest album really wasn’t all that, and she was much better when she was shredding the guitar, and Puberty 2 is easily her best release. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I really liked her last Primavera show, though I'd much rather see her indoors than on a big stage admittedly. 

Not wild on current album but would definitely put her on my watch list if she was added, especially on the Thursday. 

I'm setting my hopes lower, purely to avoid any late disappointment. Seeing Phoenix and the Smile added just to weekend 2 sucked when I can only make weekend 1, so I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm 100% happy with what we currently have (just wait for me to leap on a bandwagon as soon as anyone new is added!!) 

49 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Same here. Saw her a few years back, smallish hall. Got tickets to see her in a week or so, but not in a venue that a Primavera headliner would be filling.

59 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I suppose it could be argued that she’s ‘big’ enough but I don’t really see it happening. If she’s called in to replace MA, then fair enough, better than nobody, but in a normal year I don’t see her getting the headliner call. Like you say, her rise in popularity has been a very strange one. Imo, her latest album really wasn’t all that, and she was much better when she was shredding the guitar, and Puberty 2 is easily her best release. 

I don't see it happening but I wouldn't mind having a couple of good sub-headliners instead of a headliner (given the lack of them seemingly available) such as her + big thief

Saw Mitski last month, didn't care much for the music but her show can definitely hold its own on one of the big Mordor stages.

In addition, she's booked as a headliner at Pitchfork Fest Chicago later this year, and sells out large venues all over the USA. Even in Europe, her most recent tour sold out instantly. Given that Primavera has multiple headliners per day nowadays and they also have Jorja Smith headline, Mitski is definitely at that level.

• Upvote 2

All a bit moot I think as I can't see Mitski adding more dates to what is already a pretty relentless tour. And if she was going to play in Barcelona, she would already be on the lineup IMO as they had already booked her for LA.

Might be easier to draft in someone like Grace Jones.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Gacheezbo said:

My two friends who I was going with can sadly (annoyingly) no longer go, I never mind going on city breaks by myself but this will be my first festival going it alone, if anyone fancies a pint at any point please let me know! I'm generally quite good company

(First weekend)

Group of 5 (40-50 yr olds) happy to meet up for drinks/bite to eat etc 

1 hour ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Saw Mitski last month, didn't care much for the music but her show can definitely hold its own on one of the big Mordor stages.

In addition, she's booked as a headliner at Pitchfork Fest Chicago later this year, and sells out large venues all over the USA. Even in Europe, her most recent tour sold out instantly. Given that Primavera has multiple headliners per day nowadays and they also have Jorja Smith headline, Mitski is definitely at that level.

agree with you but although they are the same size on the poster those two slots will be pretty different: jorja smith is likely an early evening performance while MA would have been one of the 3 key acts of the day. I would compare jorja smith with kacey musgraves from that day

So I’m an idiot who has left booking until the last minute. I have my flights sorted but need accommodation for Weekend 1 (1st-6th), two people (preferably two separate rooms) - anyone have any good recommendations or at least places to check for decent prices?

Also have ended up with a spare ticket to sell (miscommunication in the group chat from 2019…. Discovered this year the other person in the group bought their own ticket), anyone know anyone who would be interested / can you just do a ticket transfer on the Dice app?

On 4/25/2022 at 4:14 PM, scatteredscreens said:

There's been a teaser for Sky this month from her record label so something is definitely happening.

Slowdive I would imagine may play some new ones, but they never committed to releasing anything - recent interviews have been like, we hope it'd be out by the festivals but who knows, it takes as long as it takes.

Slowdive put a couple of IG stories/posts about recording a new album which dates back in 2020. 

There were rumours that album was supposed to be out last year somewhere in fall.

17 hours ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

I wouldn't say it's the opposite, but somewhere in the middle.  I saw them about a week after hearing a few songs in 2018 & left the gig completely floored. Sure, I didn't quite "get" songs like The River or Rattlesnake at the time, but as a whole I was incredibly impressed. Seeing them after a year immersing myself with their music made the experience more enjoyable, but I don't think it's necessarily required to enjoy or acknowledge their music, level of talent, or musicianship.

Would I want to be vaguely familiar with their music when having the opportunity to see them 4-5x in one week where they won't be repeating a single show? Absolutely.