Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

22 hours ago, daveje said:

Not wanting to be Mr Doom and Gloom, but Coachella resulted in a spike in local Covid infections and a number of infected musicians, with the consequence being cancelled tours.

Primavera will still happen, but regardless of the re-confirmed bands, we'll probably still get some attrition.

https://dadadrummer.substack.com/p/masks-are-off?s=r

On a positive note, I saw Sparks last night, and they've gone though a US tour, and halfway through a European tour, and done that by asking audiences to wear masks.

Covid is not funny, I caught it a month ago being double vaxxed and now I can say that I'm mostly back to normal, so for musician Covid means that they will perform under paracetamol for a while cuz headache and weakness can last for a while.

Edited by Festcrazy

13 hours ago, Festcrazy said:

Covid is not funny, I caught it a month ago being double vaxxed and now I can say that I'm mostly back to normal, so for musician Covid means that they will perform under paracetamol for a while cuz headache and weakness can last for a while.

Definitely, caught it on April 1st and still feeling it mostly on my throat (by coughing and change of voice). Can't imagine musicians performing through some of the symptoms.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:02 PM, daveje said:

Not wanting to be Mr Doom and Gloom, but Coachella resulted in a spike in local Covid infections and a number of infected musicians, with the consequence being cancelled tours.

Primavera will still happen, but regardless of the re-confirmed bands, we'll probably still get some attrition.

https://dadadrummer.substack.com/p/masks-are-off?s=r

On a positive note, I saw Sparks last night, and they've gone though a US tour, and halfway through a European tour, and done that by asking audiences to wear masks.

Worrying for sure. It's good that Primavera is so early in the festival season - for many artists (on top of my head pavement, the national, nick cave) the PS show is their tour opener or close to it, so they're not likely to catch covid before hopefully. Festivals in July-August are likely to experience more of those cases.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I’m not sure.

As the weather gets better, there’s more outdoor mixing so much less covid in circulation.

I’m expecting some cancellations in the run up (how many have already happened and we just haven’t been told yet?) but not too many last minute covid ones.

I tend to agree.

how many artists cancelled Cohacella's second weekend because they got covid on the first one? I didn't read of such 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I tend to agree.

how many artists cancelled Cohacella's second weekend because they got covid on the first one? I didn't read of such 

Good point - didn’t hear of any myself. Maybe(?) there were some smaller dropouts lower down, but overall the lineup remained pretty unscathed, and that was a like for like lineup. Hopefully bodes well for us in that respect. 

• Upvote 1

If we're talking covid... The Lemonheads (which I really like) are playing my city (indoor club of roughly 1000 people) 10 days before Primavera. Really want to go, but also really afraid to get Covid and end up missing PS.

Am I being hysterical or is it a legit reason to miss out on a concert? lol

1 minute ago, yaniv297 said:

If we're talking covid... The Lemonheads (which I really like) are playing my city (indoor club of roughly 1000 people) 10 days before Primavera. Really want to go, but also really afraid to get Covid and end up missing PS.

I would say it is legit. Since last Friday, masks were realeased in Portugal. I still use mine. Went to a concert last Tuesday and there was like 70% with no maks and 30% wearing mask. I prefer to wear mine, specially if I have things planned (that would be cancelled if I get Covid).

13 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Wouldn’t go personally. You have too much invested presumably (cash, time, effort, desire to attend) in Primavera to take that risk.

Masks help a bit but mostly they help to protect other people from your covid, not the other way round.

58 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

same dillema here. unless something drastic happens (numbers go down dramatically, or me having covid again before that) I think I'll skip it. with all due respect to the Lemonheads, after 3 years waiting, they're just not worth the risk
I also plan to work from home about week - week and a half before the flight

4 hours ago, yaniv297 said:

I had two gigs booked for the weekend before primavera and I've sold my tickets. Would rather miss those than risk not being able to fly but that's just me being overly cautious

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Conversely, I’m going to see My Chemical Romance in Milton Keynes the Saturday before Primavera 😬 so absolutely playing with fire there, but also something I’ve been waiting two years for. Fingers crossed that doesn’t blow up in my face. 

Presumably that's in the bowl? I reckon outdoors would be fine.

I am feeling quite confident about not getting it considering I had covid less than a month ago, so feels like I'm probably good for a bit? Or am I being deluded?

20 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

Obviously not nearly as 1/100 popular but Iosonouncane playing his last album in full with the band live yesterday evening sounded like the ideal MA replacement… maybe in 5-10 yrs 

Hasn't crossed over in over a decade already, so can't see them realistically becoming a bigger name.

True, most of MA's songs (Angel, Unfinished Sympathy etc) can also be a little claustrophobic but they are much more accessible all the same and many of Iosonouncane's songs are in Italian and French which limits their wider appeal.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Can't remember if this has been pointed out but Phoenix are now showing on the OS as playing Poble Espanyol alongside Khruangbin on the 8th.

Good spot. 

Still no decision on Ride. They were originally there, but have been marked TBD for a while now. 

3 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Yeah I've got loads of stuff booked the week before Prima which I'll be going to. Not much I can do it about so not gonna stop that enjoying myself. 

Honestly, I'm a teacher so I didn't stand a chance in the Omicron surge in Jan/Feb. I'm gonna do as much as possible in the first few weeks leading up to Prima tbh, if I get it again I'd rather it then. 

Either way, I'm genuinely worried about artists more than anything. Covid is depressingly trending up in the states. No masks on planes is pretty huge. Australia and Asia have shown the warm weather really doesn't change much in the age of omicron. 

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

Can't remember if this has been pointed out but Phoenix are now showing on the OS as playing Poble Espanyol alongside Khruangbin on the 8th.

Very nice. Am I right in thinking the Poble Espanyol gigs will likely be on a bit earlier, and so less likely to clash with anything? Could have sworn I read that somewhere...

Same day as the PC music event too, which I'm sure will be very busy.

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Very nice. Am I right in thinking the Poble Espanyol gigs will likely be on a bit earlier, and so less likely to clash with anything? Could have sworn I read that somewhere...

Same day as the PC music event too, which I'm sure will be very busy.

Same day as Interpol too.

I wish that would be the case but think there was some circumstantial evidence suggesting they will be in the evening and clashing.  Shame...

5 hours ago, Karl_Mcr said:

Good spot. 

Still no decision on Ride. They were originally there, but have been marked TBD for a while now. 

If the lineup at Poble Espanyol on the Wednesday ends up being Ride - Khruangbin - Phoenix, that's going to be fucking magnificent and I will have no reason to be anywhere else.

Better check into my Airbnb early! 😄

Sorry Interpol.

Edited by purplecowz

8 hours ago, purplecowz said:

If the lineup at Poble Espanyol on the Wednesday ends up being Ride - Khruangbin - Phoenix, that's going to be fucking magnificent and I will have no reason to be anywhere else.

Wednesday's Poble Espanyol line-up is: Phoenix - Khruangbin - Magdalena Bay - Pom Pom Squad

https://www.primaverasound.com/en/barcelona/2-weekends-programme-202x2

Seems like the organiseres are still looking for a location for Ride...

Edited by frankburns