daveje

9 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

Someone please help a man out: 

simply too big as a replacement

Kendrick Lamar

ideal but  would be wasted in 2022 / not available
NIN, Sigur ros, Arcade fire, Portishead, LCD soundsystem, Rosalia

Same fanbase, similar profile but not available 
Bon Iver, Animal Collective, Chemical Brothers, Moderat, Kraftwerk, Pet Shop Boys, the Smile, 

Smaller, maybe available 

Mitski, Spiritualized, James Blake, Wilco, Interpol (wk1), YYY (wk1), Big Thief (wk1)

big, fits well, no idea if available

The Cure, Bjork, Grace Jones? 

This really accomplishes nothing, sorry. We've already had like 10 pages of MA replacement speculation, most of it is purely wishful thinking rather than any meaningful predictions. At this point the discussion has nothing to do with the festival, especially as people keep throwing around names that just don't make any sense (no, we're not getting the fucking Cure as MA replacement. Might as well predict a Beatles reunion with Lennon and Harrison holograms).

At this point IMO we should keep discussing the actual festivals and the bands on there and wait for further announcements, rather than fanfiction. I get the "let me dream" sentiment but there's like 10 pages of unrealistic dreams rather than actual festival discussion.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

This really accomplishes nothing, sorry. We've already had like 10 pages of MA replacement speculation, most of it is purely wishful thinking rather than any meaningful predictions. At this point the discussion has nothing to do with the festival, especially as people keep throwing around names that just don't make any sense (no, we're not getting the fucking Cure as MA replacement. Might as well predict a Beatles reunion with Lennon and Harrison holograms).

At this point IMO we should keep discussing the actual festivals and the bands on there and wait for further announcements, rather than fanfiction. I get the "let me dream" sentiment but there's like 10 pages of unrealistic dreams rather than actual festival discussion.

Joined this forum to speculate for other boring practical details there are lot of other pages to follow 

20 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Man, you do NOT wanna see the Leeds + Reading board

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Can’t wait for Primavera etc etc etc

ANYWAY, back to the rampant and unforgiving speculation…

simply too big as a replacement

Kendrick Lamar, the cure 

ideal but  would be wasted in 2022 / not available
NIN, Sigur ros, Arcade fire, Portishead, LCD soundsystem, Rosalia, arctic monkeys 

Same fanbase, similar profile but not available 
Bon Iver, Animal Collective, Chemical Brothers, Moderat, Kraftwerk, Pet Shop Boys, the Smile, 

Smaller, maybe available 

Mitski, Spiritualized, James Blake, Wilco, Interpol (wk1), YYY (wk1), Big Thief (wk1)

fits well, no idea if available

Bjork, Grace Jones? 

Edited by Whos3000_
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Well it's nice to know one of the biggies for 2023 will be Massive Attack then.

Eh, I’m sure I’m in the minority but I wasn’t overly fussed on them being on the 2020 lineup, and again 2021, and again 2022, so I’d be pretty whelmed if they end up getting carried over once more, as likely as it probably is. The idea of them live doesn’t really excite me (although never actually seen them so maybe they’re incredible live?)

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Eh, I’m sure I’m in the minority but I wasn’t overly fussed on them being on the 2020 lineup, and again 2021, and again 2022, so I’d be pretty whelmed if they end up getting carried over once more, as likely as it probably is. The idea of them live doesn’t really excite me (although never actually seen them so maybe they’re incredible live?)

They’re incredible live 🙂

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

They seem to have weirdly mixed reviews for their live shows, for every person saying they’re brilliant live another was bored to tears. Of the headline acts I’m interested in, they’re probably the one I was least excited about. I suppose Tame Impala fall into the same category for me, an act some people think are amazing live but they were really dull both times I saw them, albeit that was back when they were touring Lonerism. 

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

They seem to have weirdly mixed reviews for their live shows, for every person saying they’re brilliant live another was bored to tears. Of the headline acts I’m interested in, they’re probably the one I was least excited about. I suppose Tame Impala fall into the same category for me, an act some people think are amazing live but they were really dull both times I saw them, albeit that was back when they were touring Lonerism. 

I had the same experience when they play at PS 2019, so I'm not planning to see them this year.

I saw Tame Impala twice last year, and frankly preferred their 2019 tour (though I saw it elsewhere than PS 2019, as seeing Low in that same timeslot was a much better decision). Liked The Slow Rush as an album, but didn't think the new songs made the live show particularly better.

Also didn't care much for Massive Attack's Mezzanine XXI tour, though I'd still like to see them with a regular set sometime.

Saw MA twice (the last being the mezzanine tour) and they were the best you can ask for as a live act. However, I wasn't particularly excited with them headlining since they didn't have anything new to tour. Now that they are gone it hurts, though. Curious that, for a so successful and marketable formula, rock-electronic bands besides thom yorke's projects, NIN and the others in my previous post aren't those many. 😞 

On a side note, I've read somewhere The National have new material ready

2 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

On a side note, I've read somewhere The National have new material ready

They must be close to releasing something as they’ve started booking more shows later in the year and have talked new material in interviews. Whether a new album will be ready in time for Primavera I’m not so sure, but I’d hazard that they’ll have at least a single out and then play a couple (but hopefully not too many…) new songs. 

4 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

I saw Tame Impala twice last year, and frankly preferred their 2019 tour (though I saw it elsewhere than PS 2019, as seeing Low in that same timeslot was a much better decision). Liked The Slow Rush as an album, but didn't think the new songs made the live show particularly better.

Also didn't care much for Massive Attack's Mezzanine XXI tour, though I'd still like to see them with a regular set sometime.

For me, Tame Impala peaked in 2015, not just because Currents was fresh and exciting, but also because they obviously enjoyed playing so much back then. 2019 was really a letdown in comparison.

23 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

For me, Tame Impala peaked in 2015, not just because Currents was fresh and exciting, but also because they obviously enjoyed playing so much back then. 2019 was really a letdown in comparison.

Totally agree. Good band but surely everyone who wanted to see them has done so now, feels like they’re on the wane creatively and I don’t enjoy their live performances like I used to.

Similar trajectory to most bands to be fair. Maybe they could change their sound a bit.

Af all the big font, current headliners of wk1 those I am planning to see are Pavement, The National and Tyler. I will likely skip all the others since I think they will clash with more interesting acts to see (Nick Cave is an exception since I rank it above all the others but I was there in 2018). 

27 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Interview in the paper with Horace Andy today, who is in good health. Assume was 3D or Daddy G who wasn't well (I see Daddy G was meant to be DJing two weeks ago and his concert was cancelled...) 

Horace Andy calls 3D a "brilliant young man". He's 57!

Horance Andy has 71, so...for him, 3D is still a young man ahahaha

16 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

They must be close to releasing something as they’ve started booking more shows later in the year and have talked new material in interviews. Whether a new album will be ready in time for Primavera I’m not so sure, but I’d hazard that they’ll have at least a single out and then play a couple (but hopefully not too many…) new songs. 

Glastonbury flashbacks there... they played a decent show but could have been much better. They played a string of 4-5 new songs in a row, only one of the was released at the time (System only dreams...). Plus for whatever reason they closed the set with fucking Turtleneck, arguably one of the worst songs of their studio albums (and certainly nowhere near good enough for a show closer). The crowd was tough anyway - many of them were just waiting for Foo Fighters later - but I felt they quite blew an opportunity to gain some new fans. 

Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

5 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Glastonbury flashbacks there... they played a decent show but could have been much better. They played a string of 4-5 new songs in a row, only one of the was released at the time (System only dreams...). Plus for whatever reason they closed the set with fucking Turtleneck, arguably one of the worst songs of their studio albums (and certainly nowhere near good enough for a show closer). The crowd was tough anyway - many of them were just waiting for Foo Fighters later - but I felt they quite blew an opportunity to gain some new fans. 

Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

This was actually the last time I saw them and really didn't enjoy it much. I also hate Turtleneck! I used to be a mega fan and have really dropped out of love for them with the last two albums, so will be interested to see the show. Hoping for plenty of old stuff, please.

18 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This was actually the last time I saw them and really didn't enjoy it much. I also hate Turtleneck! I used to be a mega fan and have really dropped out of love for them with the last two albums, so will be interested to see the show. Hoping for plenty of old stuff, please.

Sleep Well Beast is absolutely solid, but it was unreleased at the time so even their fans didn't know those songs.