Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

On 2/1/2022 at 4:34 PM, xxialac said:

We've known all along that there would be more dropouts than a normal year with such an early announce. 

And, yes, I'm sure there will be some US bands that lose their nerve (or use covid as a convenient excuse to change their mind). But it won't be all of them and there's a tonne of talent looking for an overdue payday in Europe.

I'm more concerned about the music infrastructure being broken post covid. I imagine will be some concerts with sound and lighting issues but I won't grumble this year. Will just be happy it's going ahead at all.

I don't really think that too many acts will drop out. Sure, some scheduling conflicts will arise and we'll see some act we didn't expect it from not being vaccinated and canceling bc of travel issues, but the vast majority of acts, managements and booking agencies are desperate to earn money. 
The big issue has always been planning insecurity. With the US, UK, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Spain having already lifted or currently lifting regulations completely, it is just a question of time when other countries follow. Unlike 2020 or 2021, this summer the target audience of festivals is largely vaccinated. And even if it isn't looking better infectionwise by springtime, there is nothing to be gained by prolonging measures beyond, say, March. Lockdown measures were meant wo buy time so as few people as possible die before we get the vaccines. We have them now, we even have medication, we had time to strenghten the health sector (although obviously neoliberal idiocracy in governments did not in fact do that) we had time to roll the vaccines out. Lockdown measures become completely senseless* at some point and vaccination rates in most countries that are relevant for PS are high, especially considering the demographic is rather well educated and better off financially. Countries with too low vax rates and too many old people (yeah Germany looking at you) will eventually mandate vaccines, because they pretty much have no other option.

Obviously, we could still be hit by a super-hyper-mega mutant (corona, not a Margaret Thatcher reincarnation ) but if that doesnt happen, 2022 is looking good and governments should now give promoters the go for cultural events.

*not saying mild regulations like mask mandates in certain indoors areas and covid passes couldn't stay

Edited by Quadrophobia

36 minutes ago, Festcrazy said:

The opposite is true. Spain is still not mandating vaccines for inbound travellers.

Quite complacent, if anything...

But yeah as the poster above says, by June the rules will have changed so doesn't make sense to worry about anything at this stage.

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The opposite is true. Spain is still not mandating vaccines for inbound travellers.

Quite complacent, if anything...

But yeah as the poster above says, by June the rules will have changed so doesn't make sense to worry about anything at this stage.

But didn't someone mentioned post about technical issues for US performers right now? I mean, I don't know how it works on technical site, but I guess you can't orginize all last minute?

49 minutes ago, brosch said:

Rosalía as a surprise act, or as proper headliner 2023.. what do you think? No tour dates yet, album out in March, it’s her hometown.. 

Headliner in ‘23 I imagine. She’s gotten absolutely massive over there so can’t imagine they’d have her do a secret set as it’d be mental if word got out. If this years lineup was booked under regular circumstances and wasn’t largely a carry over from ‘20/‘21 I imagine she would’ve been headlining this year.