Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

I was at The Smile Sunday and it was one of the best shows I have been to. They are onto something really amazing with this new music. There are songs in there that I think are some of the best they have ever written. Certainly the best work outside of Radiohead. Tom Skinner has brought a lot to this band that elevates them even further.

So I am hyped. Will try for a Roundhouse gig too but this is great news. Especially since most of my festival friends travel from Canada/Florida, introducing them to this band there will be delightful

16 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

https://cat.elpais.com/cat/2022/01/28/actualidad/1643357558_837314.html

[quote]The situation of macrofestivals is complicated today. A panel with European festivals took place at the Eurosonic in Groningen 11 days ago where the development of this season has been discussed. Marta Pallarès, international press officer for Primavera Sound, took part in the meeting, pointing out some of the most immediate problems: “Great American artists are waiting to see how this wave is resolved and have not yet sent us the technical requirements of their assemblies, when normally by these dates we already had them. We also have a significant shortage of suppliers of all kinds: the covid-19 crisis has taken over companies and, on top of that, we all have to deal with the pandemic, ”he says. And he adds: “There is already talk of creating covid coordinationto fit the requirements of artists, the government of the Generalitat and the festival itself ”. There is also the strictly human factor: "There is a lack of staff to fill the most specialized jobs that require the assembly of a festival."[/quote]

Interesting...

So this means that US acts are not sure yet?

8 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

of any touring acts my feeling it'll be the US ones that are the most likely to drop out/cancel, which could be pretty seismic tbh

But if all US acts drop out, Primavera can't go on. 

There are some Australian/NZ acts based in US mostly like Tame Impala, Lorde and then they are questionable as well.

That's the biggest concern, not how the situation will look like in June, but if logistic will be adaptable for a new condition.

We've known all along that there would be more dropouts than a normal year with such an early announce. 

And, yes, I'm sure there will be some US bands that lose their nerve (or use covid as a convenient excuse to change their mind). But it won't be all of them and there's a tonne of talent looking for an overdue payday in Europe.

I'm more concerned about the music infrastructure being broken post covid. I imagine will be some concerts with sound and lighting issues but I won't grumble this year. Will just be happy it's going ahead at all.

• Upvote 2

On 2/1/2022 at 9:29 AM, Gilgamesh69 said:

A friend with a weekend one ticket (originally bought in 2019) just got an email saying he has a Weekend One + Two ticket now. He hasn't upgraded so reckon this is a mistake, or are they handing out free upgrades? He said he's been sent a code which can be used to "validate the ticket" in march

Correct emails landing now.

Just now, broccoli said:

still no email for me, my partner has one for her ticket. A few friends have realised we all have different bar credits.. €15, €18 and €18,50. How fun!

I got 15, but i did get a cheap super early bird ticket for 2019 (I think i bought the moment they were on sale!) so i guess thats fair.

1 minute ago, broccoli said:

still no email for me, my partner has one for her ticket. A few friends have realised we all have different bar credits.. €15, €18 and €18,50. How fun!

Check your Junk folder, mines ended up there.

Strange about the different credits! €15 each on my two tickets anyway.

Side note - I hope Los Bitchos get added to either weekend proper, I’ve grew to love them and chances are I’ll miss the ciutat show.

9 minutes ago, DDave said:

Recommend anywhere decent and cheap to travel from? Direct Flights from Manchester are sky high 

Depends on how much time you have/how flexible you are really. If you were okay taking holiday for a stopver either side you could get the train to/from Montpellier and Nimes which are both lovely and are currently not too expensive on the TGV (I don't know what flights between Manchester and Montpellier/Nimes are like though). Paris is the route to take if you want to do it quickest but even that would likely require a hotel somewhere. 

I'm doing:

31st May: London > Paris (staying overnight in Paris to see The National) 
1st June: Paris > Barca
9th June: Barca > Paris (couple of nights in Paris) 
11th June: Paris > London 

And all in its cost just over £150, although I managed to save a lot by booking my Barcelona to Paris ticket a while ago when it was dirt cheap. Might be cheaper if you go different days. 

Unfortunately its difficult to do UK to Barca in one day at the moment as they've removed the afternoon TGV which provided a good connection with the Eurostar because of Covid. 

Sorry, that's probably not particularly helpful - there's a lot of good info on Paris > Barcelona by train here

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DDave said:

Recommend anywhere decent and cheap to travel from? Direct Flights from Manchester are sky high 

Maybe Béziers? A flight from Manchester is 54 euro on May 31 and the train to Barcelona the next day is currently 40-50 euros so you might save a bit (depending on the accommodation).

Or a flight from Brussels is always very cheap (currently 25-30 euros on May 30/31 and June 1st) but I don’t know how much the train from Manchester to London and then the Eurostar would cost you. At least most of the flights from Brussels are in the evening so you could do that in one day.

Edited by VCF

15 minutes ago, VCF said:

Maybe Béziers? A flight from Manchester is 54 euro on May 31 and the train to Barcelona the next day is currently 40-50 euros so you might save a bit (depending on the accommodation).

Or a flight from Brussels is always very cheap (currently 25-30 euros on May 30/31 and June 1st) but I don’t know how much the train from Manchester to London and then the Eurostar would cost you. At least most of the flights from Brussels are in the evening so you could do that in one day.

Looks like we'll be doing Wed to the Sunday so could do an indirect flight via Brussels etc. Would have looked at Thursday to Monday but the direct flights don't get into Barcelona till 6pm onwards.