Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

55 minutes ago, Nesser said:

Shows in Barcelona this month are being postponed til early February but tomorrow in Madrid Sen Senra is playing a 8k venue and Mujeres and Alizzz are playing shows on Friday. All of them are playing Primavera this year.

all these postponements and cancellations now say nothing about June, it's clearly too soon to tell.

By June Omicron will be long gone, the big question is whether we'll be before, after or during the next one

40 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

all these postponements and cancellations now say nothing about June, it's clearly too soon to tell.

By June Omicron will be long gone, the big question is whether we'll be before, after or during the next one

OMEGACRON! 

According to the poster, Phoenix, Ride and Chet Faker are supposed to play on Wednesday the 8th but there is no mention of Phoenix and Chet Faker on the website for that date (apart from the poster) and Ride is the only band from all the ciudad shows whose venue is "TBD". It got me thinking that maybe there is a chance of an opening night at Parc del Forum for the 2nd Weekend - with Phoenix, Ride, Chet Faker and maybe one or two local names. I may be completely wrong, but I wanted to share it.

1 hour ago, pipan said:

According to the poster, Phoenix, Ride and Chet Faker are supposed to play on Wednesday the 8th but there is no mention of Phoenix and Chet Faker on the website for that date (apart from the poster) and Ride is the only band from all the ciudad shows whose venue is "TBD". It got me thinking that maybe there is a chance of an opening night at Parc del Forum for the 2nd Weekend - with Phoenix, Ride, Chet Faker and maybe one or two local names. I may be completely wrong, but I wanted to share it.

When ride were announced, the PR said "Ride join the lineup of Primavera Sound 2022 to perform both in the Parc del Fòrum and in the return of the festival to Poble Espanyol". So, I would not focus that much in the TBD. 

Phoenix were a surprise in the new poster - no mention before that they were scheduled to play at La Ciutat.

Chet Faker, in the past, was mentioned to be playing at Apolo, but...

You might be right, but, who knows 🙂

2 hours ago, pipan said:

I think it would be against the spirit of showcasing Barcelona’s great independent venues to have a ‘competing’ initiative at the Forum that night. And seems bit late in the day to announce opening up the Forum an extra night. 

Then again, normally Primavera gets a large subsidy from the local government and part of that was surely for making shows available to the public for free.

26 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Dang. Won't be the last cancellation sadly. A problem with announcing so early is more drop outs...

On the other hand, bring on the new names!

No, as in, their last show indefinitely, they're going on hiatus as a band. Sucks. 

Although I wasn’t nearly as excited about Brockhampton as I was when they were initially announced on 2020, that’s a big bummer. Kind of a big name on the lineup so here’s hoping for a good replacement (and by good replacement, I mean get Freddie Gibbs back). 

Edited by FloorFiller
Word
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think they were talking about the Prima lineup in general, as in there will be more dropouts between now and the festival.

Exactly. 

Announce 4 months before the festival = fewer dropouts (normal year) than if you announce 12 months beforehand (this year).

Brockhampton were actually first announced in January 2020. Screw you Covid! 

31 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although I wasn’t nearly as excited about Brockhampton as I was when they were initially announced on 2020, that’s a big bummer. Kind of a big name on the lineup so here’s hoping for a good replacement (and by good replacement, I mean get Freddie Gibbs back). 

Yeah, Brockhampton dropping out hurts. Hope they get Kevin Abstract to do his solo stuff, I think he's about to release an album later this year.

The last two minutes of his single Sierra Nights might be my favourite piece of music last year.

2 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Ahh dammit. Hopefully not many more of these drop outs. 

I hope loads drop out. 

So i can be excited about the new additions. Something about knowing who is coming for so many months has made me lose the flavour. 

Don't get me wrong, In W1 there's still the must sees for me that I don't see popping up in other festivals like Weyes blood, Caroline Polacheck, Little Simz who will surprise me. 

But people i've seen plenty before, National/Gorrilaz i'd like to see them cancel and for something new and exciting to pop in. 

Controversial but hey.

Love to see Kanye and Pusha T drop in to save the day, maybe David Byrne, LCD (I know BBK Exclusive) or Laura Marling. And CMAT for W1! 

• Downvote 6

17 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

First name I considered but he’s in Canada that day.

Other ones I looked up before getting bored:

- Pusha T: Only date currently is APE in August, can’t see him coming over twice for a one off

- FKA Twigs: No tour dates currently

- RTJ: Already playing weekend 2 and are free on the 3rd but it’s between two UK shows so unlikely

- Anderson .Paak: Free but his only shows so far are supporting RHCP later in June

The lineup is already stacked and the T&Cs of every festival now indicate that lineups may change and punters just have to deal with it, so the festival are under no obligation to replace acts like-for-like: eg Brockhampton swapped out for someone else. I'm not expecting anything juicy or particularly exciting in that respect.

5 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The lineup is already stacked and the T&Cs of every festival now indicate that lineups may change and punters just have to deal with it, so the festival are under no obligation to replace acts like-for-like: eg Brockhampton swapped out for someone else. I'm not expecting anything juicy or particularly exciting in that respect.

Yeah there’s enough acts, some of whom have gotten significantly bigger since the initial lineup drop, to be reshuffled and take their spot, so I’m not really expecting a like for like either and probably just a smaller act further down if anything. 

The lineup is stronger now than it was when they sold the festival out.

They’ve never been mean with replacements over the years, although when major act cancellations have happened immediately before the festival, inevitably it simply hasn’t been possible to get as big a name.

We still have time. Replacements will be decent.