Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Maybe focus on what you know works...and expand it. 

Or just do the thing you know you're good at and can deliver well? Two full weekends feels like a really ambitious stretch in terms of flogging tickets. I'd love to see some side shows or smaller events around it, but one weekend on that site is more than enough for most people.

Edited by jannybruck

17 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Or just do the thing you know you're good at and can deliver well? Two full weekends feels like a really ambitious stretch in terms of flogging tickets. I'd love to see some side shows or smaller events around it, but one weekend on that site is more than enough for most people.

Sorry, I meant what I think they might do, rather than what they ought to do (I'm also happy to see them just stick to their knitting)

Definitely there are clear signs they want to expand and they have some punchy investors who will want/demand that.

I always try to be one of the voices of reason on these threads, even the pessimistic one. But:

1) Not only have they announced the Porto dates, they have added a fourth day: Sunday. This only happened on 2012 and there were just two concerts (Jeff Mangum and Olivia Tremor Control), but Porto is getting bigger than previous years.

2) If you usually check the Werchter thread,  especially what Ken19 says, you already know there are some high level bands whose contracts are not that easy to end and it's easier for festivals to roll their booking to their next edition. Primavera saved most of their 2020 headliners and added a new pack for 2021, and there's always this idea that at least a couple of bands are booked like a year in advance, so one might think that they could have a problem with... too many headliners.

3) Gabi and co didn't announce the Barcelona dates. Not the first time this happened with the very first announcement, tho.

4) The fucking double thing on the announcement

And probably they just rearranged the Porto schedule to free up some slots on the main festival and moved a couple of bands to the Sunday plus some headliners from Barcelona 2020 are not playing on 2022 so they have no issue with a lot of bands playing and the double thing on the announcement is just some encouraging words.

But what if they are pulling an Austin City Limits? Two festivals on two consecutive weekends, 80% of the bands playing on both and different ¿headliners? each one. I can't either see 65k people each weekend tbh, so this is likely a pipe dream but they were selling so good in 2020 and sold out 2021 almost instantly (?) so I don't fucking know anymore.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Could be nothing, sure.

Just seen also though that Gabi has written a letter saying "We owe you the best edition of Primavera Sound, the #bestfestivalforever. And it's going to be more than that. You cannot imagine what we are already preparing for 2022"

He’s a good hype man inne?

actually, I guess a 2nd event to sell-out would be exactly what the PS bank balance needs. It makes sense now. 

18 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Could be nothing, sure.

Just seen also though that Gabi has written a letter saying "We owe you the best edition of Primavera Sound, the #bestfestivalforever. And it's going to be more than that. You cannot imagine what we are already preparing for 2022"

In Spanish is even worse cause it sounds like a threat lol

And again, we're probably reading too much into it, but I think it's okay if we do this today.

10 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

He’s a good hype man inne?

actually, I guess a 2nd event to sell-out would be exactly what the PS bank balance needs. It makes sense now. 

Yeah, can't respect those other festivals that become The Best Festival Ever and then complacently think that's enough....

9 hours ago, xxialac said:

Could be nothing, sure.

I know it’s all hype and bluster because that’s what he’s got to do, especially at this stage of multiple date shifts, cancellations and people considering cancelling, but I hope there’s actually something to this, even if it’s just one massive headliner that they’ve managed to bag. Couldn’t name who that act could be, but something a-la Radiohead a couple of years ago please!

17 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Primavera have given the very vague reply of ‘June’ to people on Instagram asking for the new dates so I’m gonna go ahead and assume that’ll be the 1st to the 4th.

Yeah im thinking this too, it would be unprecedented for it to be 16-19 june (so sonar clash?) and surely it wont clash / overlap with porto. Crucially they have not said May so that seems to be the only logical conclusion

if there was any truth in the rumours of a double festival they’d have to break the no overlap with porto, or, more likely, have one in june and another later in the year say august or september. 

Fwiw i think its all bluster and there will be one good lineup on the original dates. A second weekend would bring them the annoyance of people wanting to only go once having to choose which one & asking to roll their ticket to a different date. 

perhaps they might add one off saturdays at the forum during the year? We’ll see

Edited by Memory Man

17 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

PS Barcelona usually doesn't even sell out its one weekend, there is zero chance of two consecutive weekends.

Gabi, and PS, constantly talk shite. This "doubly good" and "like never before" is just the usual marketing BS.

Well yeah...

...but we can at least dream until it’s proven to be the usual BS 😄 and then all be disappointed that our ridiculous predictions didn’t come to fruition come lineup day.

• Upvote 2

I don't buy the two weekends in a row thing. It's possible that they accumulated too many headliners but I think they will just keep the usual ones (strokes tyler exc) for the next edition (this means NIN shifts to 2023). The next edition will play safe, no bets. They need to sell out. I hope this doesn't involve booking dua lipa or some others sziget names

Edited by whos3000
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, whos3000 said:

I don't buy the two weekends in a row thing. It's possible that they accumulated too many headliners but I think they will just keep the usual ones (strokes tyler exc) for the next edition (this means NIN shifts to 2023). The next edition will play safe, no bets. They need to sell out. I hope this does involve booking dua lipa 

Fixed a little error for ya 🙂

• Like 2