Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

35 minutes ago, MatheauWillis said:

Can anyone recommend any festivals in Europe for July/August with a similar vibe line-up-wise to Primavera?

Not sure if it's just because of COVID but it seems like every big-ish festival has a shocking line up next year.

August's Paredes de Coura north of Porto is usually excellent (and plus points for the location/setting). Ditto Green Man/EOTR in Wales/SW England. Couple of others including All Points East are ok.

Strangely July doesn't have any great festivals music-wise (that I'm aware of) other than Bilbao BBK in Spain.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, MatheauWillis said:

Can anyone recommend any festivals in Europe for July/August with a similar vibe line-up-wise to Primavera?

Not sure if it's just because of COVID but it seems like every big-ish festival has a shocking line up next year.

Plenty of them end up having roughly crossed over lineups anyway just because of acts doing 'the circuit'. I think a lot of international visitors to Primavera next year who bought instantly will be surprised how many other EU festivals next year end up looking pretty similar to this.

In terms of generally good festivals around the summer look at Oya, Flow, Northside, Way Out West, Green Man, All Points East, We Love Green, Roskilde, Pukkelpop, Best Kept Secret, Down The Rabbit Hole, Lowlands, Sonar, Mad Cool, NOS Alive, Bilbao BBK.

Edited by jannybruck
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Plenty of them end up having roughly crossed over lineups anyway just because of acts doing 'the circuit'. I think a lot of international visitors to Primavera next year who bought instantly will be surprised how many other EU festivals next year end up looking pretty similar to this.

In terms of generally good festivals around the summer look at Oya, Flow, Northside, Way Out West, Green Man, All Points East, We Love Green, Roskilde, Pukkelpop, Best Kept Secret, Down The Rabbit Hole, Lowlands, Sonar, Mad Cool, NOS Alive, Bilbao BBK.

Some really good suggestions here.

I also forgot La Route Du Rock in August which is always well curated. And Rock en Seine.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

August's Paredes de Coura north of Porto is usually excellent (and plus points for the location/setting). Ditto Green Man/EOTR in Wales/SW England. Couple of others including All Points East are ok.

Strangely July doesn't have any great festivals music-wise (that I'm aware of) other than Bilbao BBK in Spain.

Melt! used to be in July and was always fantastic, the 2015 edition is one of my all time favourite festivals, maybe just topped by one or two PS editions. But they moved it to the Primavera Weekend recently. The only other decent festival in July I have in mind is Dour in Belgium. Never minding the Lollapaloozas in Stockholm and Paris, don't know if they are any good but from how lame the Berlin edition was I wouldn't expect much.  Also Roskilde and Werchte often rotate into early July, but thats mostly it. 

2 hours ago, jannybruck said:

In terms of generally good festivals around the summer look at Oya, Flow, Northside, Way Out West, Green Man, All Points East, We Love Green, Roskilde, Pukkelpop, Best Kept Secret, Down The Rabbit Hole, Lowlands, Sonar, Mad Cool, NOS Alive, Bilbao BBK

What's the best camping Summer festival in terms of setting (i.e. discounting the music) from this list?

I loved the Paredes de Coura site - very scenic. And Green Man.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What's the best camping Summer festival in terms of setting (i.e. discounting the music) from this list?

I loved the Paredes de Coura site - very scenic. And Green Man.

One of the Netherlands ones, in my opinion: both Down the Rabbit Hole and Best Kept Secret are manageable sized gorgeous sites, with decent lineups.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Mad Cool has a great mid/undercard (St Vincent, The War On Drugs, HAIM, Deftones, Phoebe Bridgers, Animal Collective, The Comet Is Coming, Chvrches, Leon Bridges, Lucy Dacus, Yves Tumor, Parcels, Princess Nokia, Carly Bae, Four Tet, Floating Points, Flume, Villagers,...) but a very bland set of headliners. 

Weird festival. 

Some acts (especially from the 1st weekend) already touring this season: I could buy tickets right now for black midi, 100gecs, nick cave and others. What's your usual policy about this? Better to save money and to risk not to catch an act at the festival because of clashes or to eventually see some acts multiple times? For example... Is spending 50/60€ to see an act like nick cave to free that slot (that, accordingly to our fake clashfinder, would be also that of king krule and Caroline polachek!) worth it in your opinion? 

15 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

Some acts (especially from the 1st weekend) already touring this season: I could buy tickets right now for black midi, 100gecs, nick cave and others. What's your usual policy about this? Better to save money and to risk not to catch an act at the festival because of clashes or to eventually see some acts multiple times? For example... Is spending 50/60€ to see an act like nick cave to free that slot (that, accordingly to our fake clashfinder, would be also that of king krule and Caroline polachek!) worth it in your opinion? 

Depends on your budget. Festival sets aren't headline sets and so, in my opinion, are actually a bit more fun for certain acts because they'll structure the setlist differently. All those acts you mentioned are touring within a few weeks of Primavera and so I'd just hold out and try and schedule them in at the festival instead rather than doubling up.

There's so much stuff on at Primavera that you'll always have clashes, regardless of how well you try to prepare.

3 hours ago, Matt1976 said:

Not even Glastonbury (any era)?

Glastonbury is incredible and I agree it's a bit special, especially the depth of lineup/variety

I guess where it falls short for me vs PS is

- there is a lot of MOR dross amongst all the good stuff (e.g. the last edition had Hozier, Liam Gallagher, George Ezra, Bastille, Snow Patrol, Two Door Cinema Club, Lewis Capaldi, Lumineers in prominent spots on the main and other stage). 

- the huge distance between stages (takes even longer if muddy or caught in a crowd) at Glastonbury, meaning you miss too many bands you want to see - even if no there's clash

- near guaranteed sunshine and heat at Primavera (near guaranteed not to have it at Glastonbury...).

Also for me, sleeping in a comfortable bed each night gives Primavera an edge too. I'm just too tired to fully enjoy Glastonbury by the third day...

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Glastonbury is incredible and I agree it's a bit special, especially the depth of lineup/variety

- there is a lot of MOR dross amongst all the good stuff (e.g. the last edition had Hozier, Liam Gallagher, George Ezra, Bastille, Snow Patrol, Two Door Cinema Club, Lewis Capaldi, Lumineers in prominent spots on the main and other stage). 

- the huge distance between stages (takes even longer if muddy or caught in a crowd) at Glastonbury, meaning you miss too many bands you want to see - even if no there's clash

- near guaranteed sunshine and heat at Primavera (near guaranteed not to have it at Glastonbury...).

Also for me, sleeping in a comfortable bed each night gives Primavera an edge too. I'm just too tired to fully enjoy Glastonbury by the third day...

You’ve got me on the comfy bed bit lol. Although I do a motorhome  when cash is flush. I’ve had a few years, when it was as baking hot (year Muse played with Edge - can’t think which year it was top of my head. 2010???). Then I’ve had years and it’s just a sea. I was there when someone turned up with a canoe, as the rain was that bad. LOL 

I tend to plan a day at pyramid stage (right at the front - 11 hours waiting for Rolling Stones - that was tough, but worth it), then use the rest of the event to visit the smaller venues to see the up and comers. Agree, it does start to feel like a tick box exercise, with some of the acts. I’ve always said once you goto Glasto, you’ll compare everything else to it. This is my first time at PS, so will be interesting to see how it compares. 

59 minutes ago, xxialac said:

32 minutes ago, Matt1976 said:

You’ve got me on the comfy bed bit lol. Although I do a motorhome  when cash is flush. I’ve had a few years, when it was as baking hot (year Muse played with Edge - can’t think which year it was top of my head. 2010???). Then I’ve had years and it’s just a sea. I was there when someone turned up with a canoe, as the rain was that bad. LOL 

I tend to plan a day at pyramid stage (right at the front - 11 hours waiting for Rolling Stones - that was tough, but worth it), then use the rest of the event to visit the smaller venues to see the up and comers. Agree, it does start to feel like a tick box exercise, with some of the acts. I’ve always said once you goto Glasto, you’ll compare everything else to it. This is my first time at PS, so will be interesting to see how it compares. 

I find this chat really interesting as someone who's loved Glastonbury since 2008 and never thought anything would top it, but is trying Primavera for the first time next year! I'm expecting them to be good in different ways.

9 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Depends on your budget. Festival sets aren't headline sets and so, in my opinion, are actually a bit more fun for certain acts because they'll structure the setlist differently. All those acts you mentioned are touring within a few weeks of Primavera and so I'd just hold out and try and schedule them in at the festival instead rather than doubling up.

There's so much stuff on at Primavera that you'll always have clashes, regardless of how well you try to prepare.

Skipping fountains dc in March and having them clash later with the national Earl or brockhampton sounds just too painful tho

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Fnmentaluk said:

So we are back . Last post October 31, nothing has happened on the primavera front since then. so what to talk about.

lol, I'll try to quickly recap the announcements

The Barcelona festival has added: Low, Grimes DJ set, Jhay Cortez, boy pablo, PinkPantheress, Bleachers, Tokischa, Amyl and the Sniffers, Remi Wolf, Magdalena Bay, Wet Leg, Pom Pom Squad, El Petit de Cal Eril, Hyd, Meet Me @ The Altar, Gustaf, Chill Mafia and CRYSTALLMESS

The Barcelona posters are currently:

W1

W2

In the City:

The Porto poster is currently:

Also, the LA Poster was finally announced (3 festival days, 4 city days):

Also, Primavera Sound South America is rolling with 3 new festivals in Santiago, Sao Paolo and Buenos Aires, each with 3 festival days and 4 city days during November 7th to 13th.

Edited by Orens
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1