Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

I feel like this isn't going to be two separate weekends as much as it's going to be one long festival that starts the first weekend and ends at the end of the second weekend. Gives them the opportunity to have the bands they wanted over the last two years plus bands that are ready to come out and play in 2022 (Arcade Fire). Maybe the mid-week shows happen in local clubs and the big headliners go on as normal at the festival grounds.

Not sure the Coachella model works for this festival. As a former avidly loyal Coachella-goer (10 year stretch), the two weekend format works because it's California (rich kid assholes), the festival is part of the Gen Z pop culture landscape, and the festival essentially sold it's soul by moving towards a popular music format--when you need to sell 240k tickets at $500/pop, you have to move this direction. They still have their music fan nuggets, but the Coachella that books to Beyonce to headline isn't the same Coachella from 2004.

2 hours ago, jadel74 said:

I feel like this isn't going to be two separate weekends as much as it's going to be one long festival that starts the first weekend and ends at the end of the second weekend. Gives them the opportunity to have the bands they wanted over the last two years plus bands that are ready to come out and play in 2022 (Arcade Fire). Maybe the mid-week shows happen in local clubs and the big headliners go on as normal at the festival grounds.

Not sure the Coachella model works for this festival. As a former avidly loyal Coachella-goer (10 year stretch), the two weekend format works because it's California (rich kid assholes), the festival is part of the Gen Z pop culture landscape, and the festival essentially sold it's soul by moving towards a popular music format--when you need to sell 240k tickets at $500/pop, you have to move this direction. They still have their music fan nuggets, but the Coachella that books to Beyonce to headline isn't the same Coachella from 2004.

Isn't that the model they have every year?

For as long as I can remember they have had shows from the Monday in local clubs i.e. the festival is normally 7 consecutive days, closing in an afterparty on the Sunday night in Sala Apolo in town.

They used to have afternoon shows before the festival too, with some of the bands from the main festival doubling up but those sadly got scrapped/greatly watered down in the last two years.

18 minutes ago, Nesser said:

ok nevermind

On 5/2/2021 at 6:16 PM, Nesser said:
Sorry but not buying the two different lineups theory at all

You can tell you've been waiting 2 years for Primavera and with another year still to wait, when you start having a discussion with yourself. 😛

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m guessing that’s (roughly) the same lineup both weekends then?

They have square brackets on the poster if you look closely to see which acts are only playing one of the weekends.

Definitely won't be exactly same as new Primavera format as Primavera will for sure have some different headliners e.g. NIN.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

They have square brackets on the poster if you look closely to see which acts are only playing one of the weekends.

Definitely won't be exactly same as new Primavera format as Primavera will for sure have some different headliners e.g. NIN.

yeah, the differences there is mostly on the bottom part of the poster. I doubt it will be the same for PS. we'll see differences higher up the poster

4 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

yeah, the differences there is mostly on the bottom part of the poster. I doubt it will be the same for PS. we'll see differences higher up the poster

That's how I see it too. Not long to wait now.

Lineup(s) out in just 4 weeks...

20 minutes ago, xxialac said:

That's how I see it too. Not long to wait now.

Lineup(s) out in just 4 weeks...

Damn, just a month away! What du people wishing for, that was not booked for the last two editions?

I hope we're seeing Crumb there, lovely new album. Same with Spirit of the Beehive. Would also love to see Darkside and MBV again.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Here's how another festival handles the two weekend thing.

ACL16-Website-Lineup-Posterx923741_1.jpg

This is what I'd consider most likely to happen. Even if Mad Cool doesn't return and they pull in Haim, Phoebe Bridgers and Cardi B that will not make up another line up. Those acts might also just have planned July/August Dates for 2022 and are maybe not available early to mid June.

Edited by Quadrophobia

11 minutes ago, Hip Priest said:

OM, who were on the 2020 and 2021 line-ups in Barcelona and Porto, are touring northern Europe in early June but have a two-day gap over both "Primavera weekends".

http://www.omvibratory.com/

I think they were due to play Primavera Porto too? I suppose they could do both on that weekend, looking at their dates they don’t seem to need much rest!

I've looked at all headliners and their tour dates up to know and if they'd be able to play both weekends. Very thin data yet

Tyler - Dates in Warsaw (Friday 3rd of June), Amsterdam (Tuesday 7th of June), was supposed to be at NOS Thursday (would be the 10th in 2022). -> could play Warsaw -> BCN -> Amsterdam -> Porto -> BCN

The National - Dates 5th through 7th in UK/Ireland and 10th in Spain. -> Could play BCN on both weekends either Thursday or Saturday. weren't gonna be at NOS

Pavement - unclear if they will still be exclusive in 2022, but I'd think so. A second BCN weekend wouldn be a problem 

Bad Bunny - only confirmed date fo 2022 is June 25th in Switzerland. His 2021 rescheduled dates shouldn't clash with a second weekend though. 

No rescheduled Dates yet from Gorillaz, Tame Impala, Massive Attack, Beck  or The Strokes

With some of the undercard bands looking like theyd be able to play two weekends I'd say we are heading for line ups that are roughly similar

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I've looked at all headliners and their tour dates up to know and if they'd be able to play both weekends. Very thin data yet

Tyler - Dates in Warsaw (Friday 3rd of June), Amsterdam (Tuesday 7th of June), was supposed to be at NOS Thursday (would be the 10th in 2022). -> could play Warsaw -> BCN -> Amsterdam -> Porto -> BCN

The National - Dates 5th through 7th in UK/Ireland and 10th in Spain. -> Could play BCN on both weekends either Thursday or Saturday. weren't gonna be at NOS

Pavement - unclear if they will still be exclusive in 2022, but I'd think so. A second BCN weekend wouldn be a problem 

Bad Bunny - only confirmed date fo 2022 is June 25th in Switzerland. His 2021 rescheduled dates shouldn't clash with a second weekend though. 

No rescheduled Dates yet from Gorillaz, Tame Impala, Massive Attack, Beck  or The Strokes

With some of the undercard bands looking like theyd be able to play two weekends I'd say we are heading for line ups that are roughly similar

I don't think the issue with headliners doing both weekends is availability. I think the issue is having too many headliners - from the 9 of 2021, let's say 7 can still make it - you still want to add some new artists with albums out this year (St. Vincent, Lana Del Ray, Rosalia, NiN are the obvious suspects, probably more)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I don't think the issue with headliners doing both weekends is availability. I think the issue is having too many headliners - from the 9 of 2021, let's say 7 can still make it - you still want to add some new artists with albums out this year (St. Vincent, Lana Del Ray, Rosalia, NiN are the obvious suspects, probably more)

I dont disagree. But I still don't think that means they brought in enough Acts to have two completely distinct line ups. 

23 hours ago, Fnmentaluk said:

Had a look for accommodation for wed 1 June to Sunday 5 June, for 2022, booked ibis at glories , free cancellation and pay on arrival , got it for £253 . 

Stayed there before , great location 

Thanks! Booked it as well. Is it ok on airco and noise? 

16 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Side note. Governors Ball 2021 is likely going ahead in September, so the acts they originally blocked for PS are possibilities now, bc they wont return to GvtBall in 2022

GB2021_Admat_ByDay%252520-%252520FINAL_0

Abysmal.

Edited by xxialac

19 hours ago, xxialac said:

Isn't that the model they have every year?

For as long as I can remember they have had shows from the Monday in local clubs i.e. the festival is normally 7 consecutive days, closing in an afterparty on the Sunday night in Sala Apolo in town.

They used to have afternoon shows before the festival too, with some of the bands from the main festival doubling up but those sadly got scrapped/greatly watered down in the last two years.

I'm talking about it starting Wednesday and running through the following Sunday, so it would span two weekends over maybe 11 or 12 days.

I personally don't see a Coachella (now ACL) model working in Barcelona post-pandemic, where they do nearly identical lineups over two weekends. As an airline employee, I can tell you demand for travel and experiences is definitely pent up, but I'm struggling to see how they'll be able to sell out two weekends with the same lineup. Coachella and ACL have different markets, different audiences, different economies, etc. 

I'm just happy to even have a festival to talk about at this point.

• Upvote 1