Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

They're a big business that need to make some cash, so I can't see them ever letting existing ticketholders have the two weekends for nothing. But it'll be priced at a tempting upgrade/early bird price – probably €99 or something so people go "oh, might as well and then I'll worry about the other costs later".

It's a crazy idea that you might be able to access two full weekends for the price already paid. As they have already said "you'll have to choose"

I'd guess the "upgrade" to both will be an early bird €150.

Which would still mean that two weekends of PS is the same cost as one weekend of a Coachella or a Lollapalooza.

The more I think about it, the more I expect two posters that initially look like two separate festivals (as the headline acts in large font are not shared) but then looking at the middle lines and smaller acts there's a tonne of overlap. 

Wouldn't be surprised if they put Rosalia on the second weekend to shift a lot of tickets for that.

30 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

Have to say at the moment I’m feeling a little like it’s a kick in the teeth to be honest, but super willing to be proved wrong  

Yeah I’ve been pretty bummed out since hearing the news. Obviously we don’t know the full story yet so we may be way off, but whilst the two weekend/lineup thing may sound incredible for locals and on paper, for overseas people it just royally fucks us.

That said, I’ve just soft booked a hotel for the second weekend just in case, and I’m really hoping that if the two lineup thing is a thing that they’re gonna offer some kind of discount for those already with tickets. 

Roll on the June announcement, although I’m sure something will slip through the cracks beforehand to give us a better idea of what to expect. 

The only grounds for complaint surely is if they weaken the lineup as a result (and we don't know that yet).

If it's two strong lineups and you can't attend both, I can't understand the upset.

You were expecting to have a Primavera long weekend and that's exactly what you're still getting. Yes, some lucky people are getting more - but you're not getting any less.

Edited by xxialac
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The only grounds for complaint surely is if they weaken the lineup as a result (and we don't know that yet).

If it's two strong lineups and you can't attend both, I can't understand the upset.

Surely you were expecting to have a Primavera weekend and that's exactly what you're still getting. Yes, some lucky people are getting more - but you're not getting any less.

yes, I think it's more psychological FOMO feeling that makes us feel disappointed, since there will probably be some big act on the other weekend I won't be able to see, but on the other hand, I wont think of the act that I do get, and wouldn't get if they had only 200 and not 400 artists to pick.

But logic aside, if Pavement is on one weekend and they'll add St. Vincent to the second- oh, it will be very hard to logically convince myself it's not f**ked up...

Generally I don't think the headliners will be completely different, it's very hard to find 18 headliners. I assume some overlap, kind of what we usually have with Porto that some of the headliners do both

14 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

yes, I think it's more psychological FOMO feeling that makes us feel disappointed, since there will probably be some big act on the other weekend I won't be able to see, but on the other hand, I wont think of the act that I do get, and wouldn't get if they had only 200 and not 400 artists to pick.

But logic aside, if Pavement is on one weekend and they'll add St. Vincent to the second- oh, it will be very hard to logically convince myself it's not f**ked up...

I'd suggest to make a note of the names on the other weekend that you were desperate to go and see and then make sure you go to their concerts separately. If you're overseas in a major city, they're bound to be touring and passing through.

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'd suggest to make a note of the names on the other weekend that you were desperate to go and see and then make sure you go to their concerts separately. If you're overseas in a major city, they're bound to be touring and passing through.

yeah, well that's always something you should do, regardless if they're on the other weekend...

but since we have a month or so to burn here - let's do a game- try to generate a second lineup (or only headliners), equally strong, without overlaps. I think it's very hard to find additional 9 equally strong headliners. 

That's why I think we'll either get a weaker lineup, or some of the headliners will do two weekends. I think both will happen- some overlap and slightly weaker lineup

13 minutes ago, Fnmentaluk said:

If I was to do both weekends , would probably head up the coast , say the Sunday to Wednesday night maybe lloret de mar just to chill and relax . Probably be cheaper as well 

Good thought. There are a tonne of amazing places on the costa brava an hour from Barcelona. Also the other way e.g. Sitges and Casteldefels.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Good thought. There are a tonne of amazing places on the costa brava an hour from Barcelona. Also the other way e.g. Sitges and Casteldefels.

Einsturzende Neubauten have postponed their tour to 2022. There are no Spain dates, and they have a gap between the 02nd and the 06th of June, and a gap from the 06th to the 10th (10th-12th are already booked). So, I imagine that they would be playing just weekend 1.

Sorry but not buying the two different lineups theory at all. Primavera is venturing for the first time in a double-weekend event like Coachella or Austin City Limits but they're ignoring the model those festivals have proven valid? 

I can see one or maybe two headliners missing one date plus several small names but the overall feeling when looking at both lineups should be that they are almost identical, not the opposite.

And once again: hoping for a false rumor and sticking with the regular weekend idea.

Edited by Nesser
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nesser said:

Sorry but not buying the two different lineups theory at all. Primavera is venturing for the first time in a double-weekend event like Coachella or Austin City Limits but they're ignoring the model those festivals have proven valid? 

I can see one or maybe two headliners missing one date plus several small names but the overall feeling when looking at both lineups should be that they are almost identical, not the opposite.

And once again: hoping for a false rumor and sticking with the regular weekend idea.

I also don't see enough headliners being available. Some Names from 2021 will just not be rescheduling to 2022, like Lana didn't reschedule from 2020 to 2021. Some tours originally planned for 2022 will be pushed back, bc they won't be able to go through with their tour due to competition. I can imagine like 25% more big names available, but not enough to make 2 completely distinct line ups. I'd guess they will be 80-90% the same regarding headliners.

7 hours ago, MeMeMeM said:

Einsturzende Neubauten have postponed their tour to 2022. There are no Spain dates, and they have a gap between the 02nd and the 06th of June, and a gap from the 06th to the 10th (10th-12th are already booked). So, I imagine that they would be playing just weekend 1.

Can't they play the 2nd/3rd/4th and then again on the 9th?

12 hours ago, xxialac said:

Can't they play the 2nd/3rd/4th and then again on the 9th?

they have shows in Germany on the 2nd, 6th and 10th.

so for one weekend it means Germany-Span-Germany in 5 days. not ideal but possible

for two weekends it means Germany-Span-Germany-Spain-Germany in 10 days.. I don't see it happen. it either one weekend or nothing

If we’re getting some new headliners, here are some artists/bands that could headline (or sub) PS22, all of them with a recent or upcoming album:

Lana Del Rey – Nine Inch Nails – Fiona Apple - Rosalia – St. Vincent – Cardi B - Kendrick Lamar – Lizzo – My Bloody Valentine – Megan Thee Stallion – SZA – Nick Cave – Missy Elliott – Haim – Lorde – Arcade Fire – Frank Ocean – The Cure – The War on Drugs  - Kacey Musgraves

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Alella said:

If we’re getting some new headliners, here are some artists/bands that could headline (or sub) PS22, all of them with a recent or upcoming album:

Lana Del Rey – Nine Inch Nails – Fiona Apple - Rosalia – St. Vincent – Cardi B - Kendrick Lamar – Lizzo – My Bloody Valentine – Megan Thee Stallion – SZA – Nick Cave – Missy Elliott – Haim – Lorde – Arcade Fire – Frank Ocean – The Cure – The War on Drugs  - Kacey Musgraves

It's so optimistic to say Frankie has an upcoming album. It's objectively true, yeah, but damn he's as silent as a grave. 

Megan is too small to headline imo, but solid guesses overall

1 hour ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

they have shows in Germany on the 2nd, 6th and 10th.

so for one weekend it means Germany-Span-Germany in 5 days. not ideal but possible

for two weekends it means Germany-Span-Germany-Spain-Germany in 10 days.. I don't see it happen. it either one weekend or nothing

I dont see why that routing should be unrealistic. Happens all the time. However theyd play different days, if they would play both weekends. Normally you'd try to keep the dates somewhat even so you don't have to plac two completely different schedules and negotiate different slots twice. 

58 minutes ago, Alella said:

There's definitely potential to have two strong lineups if acts like those you've listed are around. Going by some of the talk in their thread, Mad Cool might not happen next year so that might allow Primavera to book a few acts you've mentioned like The War on Drugs or Haim who they might have usually skipped if they were booked elsewhere. I do wonder how many extra big acts will be around next summer though, as for a lot of acts it's only worth touring if other festivals are willing to book to you and that could be an issue if most festivals are rolling their 2021 lineups over. 

If they do go with two different lineups, something like this seems fairly realistic for the new weekend in terms of acts who might be around and isn't too dissimilar to the 2019 lineup in terms of balance:

Rosalia – Arcade Fire – Lizzo – Lana Del Rey

Lorde – Nine Inch Nails – The War on Drugs – Haim – St. Vincent – Anderson .Paak & the Free Nationals

Kacey Musgraves – Meghan Thee Stallion – Beach House – Phoebe Bridgers – Slowdive

• Upvote 2

If I had to sell two lineups i would separate:

Strokes vs tame impala 

Pavement vs mbv 

Tyler vs ??? (a comparable artist might be Solange if she has a new album out)

Bad bunny vs rosalia 

Massive attack vs nine inch nails 

How big is st. Vincent? Not comparable to lana del rey I think... I bet on both of them being booked together with phoebe bridgers. Maybe 

Arcade fire vs lana del rey

St vincent vs phoebe bridgers? 

I don't see neither frank ocean or kendrick being in the lineup. Too big and they probably had contracts/exclusives with other festivals and circuits

Edited by whos3000