Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

There's absolutely no way they divide the weekends on New Normal/Old Primavera. Each lineup -if there's really two lineups- can be slightly focused on one but seeing Bon Iver - Slayer - Aphex Twin or Miley Cirus - Yves Tumor - Robyn is one of the greatest strengths of the festival and they'd be crazy if decided to erase it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xxialac said:

Fair comments, sorry for being a bit of a douche.

I do think it will work, due to the evidence this Summer of festivals selling out fast. 

But only as a one-off next year, not something that will sell enough in future years.

Thats alright 😄was adamant about it.

I also can't see this model be sustainable post 2022.

@MagneticField85 you might be right about the savings. I'm just not sure how that relates to younger people. I've seen people in their mid-20s struggling financially because of the additional burdens and lower number of jobs available, which might become a factor for festivals. Might be irrelevant for the big picture though.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, davidoffescassi said:

I said this 45 days ago....

I think this is a good shout and would be the best way of having two different lineups. Obviously there might be some crossover between weekends due to availability but it would certainly make sense to try and keep as much of the 2020/2021 lineup together as possible to avoid complaints.

I can almost guarantee they'll be dividing the lineups in an annoying way to ensure they can as many people doing 'two weekenders' as possible. All Points East have started doing it and it's a pain in the arse for the consumer: if you're into pop music or heavier music for instance, you can be sure they will have peppered some of your favourite artists over the different weekends so they don't make it easy for you. They want as many people going "oh, might as well book both weekends" as possible, which probably means existing ticketholders get a decent discount too.

Unfortunately for the people that work part time jobs or don't have huge amount of disposable earnings to blow on two weeks in Barcelona, this two weekends thing is a bit of a shitter.

18 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I can almost guarantee they'll be dividing the lineups in an annoying way to ensure they can as many people doing 'two weekenders' as possible. All Points East have started doing it and it's a pain in the arse for the consumer: if you're into pop music or heavier music for instance, you can be sure they will have peppered some of your favourite artists over the different weekends so they don't make it easy for you. They want as many people going "oh, might as well book both weekends" as possible, which probably means existing ticketholders get a decent discount too.

Unfortunately for the people that work part time jobs or don't have huge amount of disposable earnings to blow on two weeks in Barcelona, this two weekends thing is a bit of a shitter.

Yep, the only winners here will be people with deep pockets and a lot of spare holiday time who can do both. Granted, that might end up being me if the two lineups are that good, but I certainly won’t be happy about forking over all that money. It’d be a real kick in the teeth for people who use Primavera as a week/weekend long holiday once a year and have been holding on to their tickets for the past two years. 

24 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I think it's better to assume that lineups are at least partly arranged around the touring schedules of the bands, and not just to screw us around 😉

We're going to get three years worth of bands next year, all wanting to play: bands from last year, bands from this year, and bands for next year. If this is genuinely how it's going to work next year, then the best way to think about this is that there will be two Barcelona Primavera's, right after each other. Each will be exactly as brilliant and mixed and infuriating as usual.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

Not saying it doesn't add up but you could fly in the Thursday fly out the Sunday so it's 10 hotel nights. And there are some really cheap accommodation options in Barcelona far from the forum for the inbetween days.

And I'd be more bullish about the splits. One of the joys of Primavera is that with 11 or so stages, there's always something on worth seeing. I can't see that changing even if it becomes two weekends.

12 hours ago, davidoffescassi said:

I said this 45 days ago....

You were wrong and still are. The 2021 lineup is insanely big and will be a landmark bigger than 2014 or 2018, so they'd be crazy if they put another lineup to compete with it in the very same week. 

The only logical solution is to pull something closer to Austin City Limits or even Coachella and make 90% of the acts available at both dates.

My guess is that the headliners will be different and the subs will have a lot of overlap but not be identical.

We'll find out soon, exciting!

Incidentally, in terms of tickets sold, as the first major festival to have a full lineup for 2022 (and inevitably with a great lineup) they'll have a lot of festival-starved punters signing up - way more than a typical year. 

First mover advantage...

Edited by xxialac
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nesser said:

You were wrong and still are. The 2021 lineup is insanely big and will be a landmark bigger than 2014 or 2018, so they'd be crazy if they put another lineup to compete with it in the very same week. 

The only logical solution is to pull something closer to Austin City Limits or even Coachella and make 90% of the acts available at both dates.

Id also say this is the far more likely option. 

Thinking about it, there is only moderate competition on both weekends. Only Orange Warsaw, We Love Green and possibly the second APE Weekend on the first weekend and possibly Best Kept Secret and Northside on the seconds (IOW aside that doesn't book very international). PS might be able to do two weekends with roughly the same line up. All major acts that have tourdates already could do both. 

17 minutes ago, Nesser said:

I said that there would be two editions this year, and that is true for now.

We will see if the way to organize it is similar to what I commented or not. 

I could see the marketing work like this:

The two weekend concept is announced generating lots of free extra publicity. People are also drawn to bigger events to validate their importance.

Let's say the first weekend has slightly stronger headliners so most of the existing ticket holders choose to switch to that one.

That causes it to "sell out" almost immediately (possibly artificially as they hold back a lot of day tickets), generating lots of publicity.

That in turn then creates a FOMO for the second weekend and people panic buy tickets.

Edited by xxialac

Weekend 2 of Coachella always is the slower one in terms of tickets and IIRC there has been plenty of years that didn't sell out -Weekend 1 is guaranteed since 10 years ago- so I can't see one of the lineups being deliberately weaker, especially the second one.

I agree with @xxialacregarding the FOMO towards the second weekend but given that this operation comes from (1) having several bands booked since nobody wants to turn their contracts down and (2) the need of cash flow towards the 2022 edition,  the idea of not having two great lineups and just one great and another so-so doesn't make any sense.

My boyfriend read the Catalan article at Ara.cat, and they write that the festival will include “400 bands in two blocks”. And the English version at Reuters/Yahoo said that it will include “major singers”, but the Catalan version writes that it will include “all the big ones” / “the headliners” / ”the big fishes” (he said it was kind of difficult to translate the phrase directly in to English. (“…comptarà amb un cartell de 400 bandes en dos blocs, que inclouran totes dues grans caps de cartell.”)

They also write “Els dos caps de setmana permetrien doblar el públic i a la vegada incloure-hi tots els noms cancel·lats i les estrelles del 2022.” Rougly translated to “The two weekends would double the audience and at the same time include all the canceled names and stars of 2022.”

I think the first weekend will be a program based on 2020/21, and then the second weekend will be all new. I can’t wait! 

Edited by Alella
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alella said:

My boyfriend read the Catalan article at Ara.cat, and they write that the festival will include “400 bands in two blocks”. And the English version at Reuters/Yahoo said that it will include “major singers”, but the Catalan version writes that it will include “all the big ones” / “the headliners” / ”the big fishes” (he said it was kind of difficult to translate the phrase directly in to English. (“…comptarà amb un cartell de 400 bandes en dos blocs, que inclouran totes dues grans caps de cartell.”)

They also write “Els dos caps de setmana permetrien doblar el públic i a la vegada incloure-hi tots els noms cancel·lats i les estrelles del 2022.” Rougly translated to “The two weekends would double the audience and at the same time include all the canceled names and stars of 2022.”

I think the first weekend will be a program based on 2020/21, and then the second weekend will be all new. I can’t wait! 

However, that article is only citing Reuters in that regard, if I'm not mistaken (which could very well be due to my complete lack of skills in Catalan). In that case, everything they write would just be their translation from the awkward Reuters wording.

Edited by Quadrophobia

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

However, that article is only citing Reuters in that regard, if I'm not mistaken (which could very well be due to my complete lack of skills in Catalan). In that case, everything they write would just be their translation from the awkward Reuters wording.

Yes, that's possible. But there is more information in the Ara piece than the Reuters. But of course, it could be the journalist  at Ara just filling out the article. Or it's a lot of akward translation back and forth. 

Luckily my inlaws live in Barcelona, so I could stay there for the whole 10+ days. But if its two full Primaveras back to back, that's gonna be intense. And awesome. 

2 hours ago, Dubkeith said:

This is potentially a kick in the teeth. Even if they give you two weekends for the price you’ve already paid, but split the line up, overseas ticket holders face double the travel costs and spends or half the value. 

This is potentially not a kick in the teeth if the lineup ends up being as good as what you paid for for one of the weekends and you have the option (no one forcing you...) to double up.