Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’d be pretty gutted if it’s two different lineups tbh. Small changes here and there I get, but different headliners and bigger acts would be a real shiter.

It's also quite a big ask for their foreign visitors (which makes up a huge portion of their ticket sales). The one long weekend thing works great for a lot of people due to work schedules, but wanting them do two weekends in over a week's worth of overpriced hotel.. that's a much more expensive commitment. Not sure how sensible splitting the vote is like that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jannybruck said:

It's also quite a big ask for their foreign visitors (which makes up a huge portion of their ticket sales). The one long weekend thing works great for a lot of people due to work schedules, but wanting them do two weekends in over a week's worth of overpriced hotel.. that's a much more expensive commitment. Not sure how sensible splitting the vote is like that.

I don't think they expect foreigners to stay for both. I assume 99% of foreigners will choose one, it's only the locals that wins big here

How does this work? Two weekends of festival on the same ticket that everyone's already sitting on? God knows how that's supposed to work given already difficult finances for everyone involved. It seems incredibly ambitious, to put it mildly, to double the size of the festival in the current circumstances.

Second weekend also clashes with the Porto leg.

1 minute ago, daveje said:

How does this work? Two weekends of festival on the same ticket that everyone's already sitting on? God knows how that's supposed to work given already difficult finances for everyone involved. It seems incredibly ambitious, to put it mildly, to double the size of the festival in the current circumstances.

Probably: existing ticketholders get first dibs on the weekend they want, can upgrade to both weekends, and whatever's left gets sold to everyone else as normal. I can't see how else it'd work really. There's a lot of potential for it to be extremely messy and confusing, either way.

12 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Probably: existing ticketholders get first dibs on the weekend they want, can upgrade to both weekends, and whatever's left gets sold to everyone else as normal. I can't see how else it'd work really. There's a lot of potential for it to be extremely messy and confusing, either way.

exaclty. the only question is if it's the same lineup, like Coachella, or different.

I have to say i hope it's the same lineup. otherwise it means they split the artists, and will probably mean a slightly weaker lineup. And I can't go to two straight weekends

this is rubbish, I'm not into it at all - imagine if your two favourite acts are on two different weekends, and factor in other people you might be travelling with's tastes...

also, how on earth do they work out payment if it is the same line up twice? an artist performs twice, they get paid twice i'd assume right? and what festival can afford that?

Edited by riseupandkill
  • Upvote 1

Having two weekends is a bold move but it’s worked elsewhere and being one of the first European festivals to release their 2022 lineups will definitely help. 

Hard to tell who’ll play one or both weekends so far but based on The National’s tour dates they have the first weekend free and are in Sweden on the Friday of the second weekend. They won’t be at Primavera Porto either though so could definitely still play both Barcelona weekends. 

10 minutes ago, riseupandkill said:

also, how on earth do they work out payment if it is the same line up twice? an artist performs twice, they get paid twice i'd assume right? and what festival can afford that?

They can afford it if they sell twice the tickets.

I don't like it either. It might be only one-time thing for this year, as they have 3 years of headliners to pack into one festival, so it might suit (though it really sucks if it means splitting the headliners, or some of them).

But it's great news if you're living in Barcelona

1 hour ago, riseupandkill said:

this is rubbish, I'm not into it at all - imagine if your two favourite acts are on two different weekends, and factor in other people you might be travelling with's tastes...

Umm Coachella is 2 weekends and grossed about $120 million  in 2019 because of having the same line up twice. And its been a 2 weekend format since 2012. You dont necessarily pay the artist double either. Over here in the states it could be 1 1/2 the artist fee plus a packaged tour with the promoter and dates revolving around the festival or later on in the year.

44 minutes ago, Fabrizzo said:

???

Wrote about this possibility the very same day they announced the 2022 edition with no dates and some allusions to "double" and "choosing" between options. 

I, for one, don't like the idea. It's gonna be harder to meet with all the people I see, some friends will choose the other weekend, and everybody who don't go to both of them will feel they're losing something. 

Regarding the lineup, I'd say they pull an Austin City Limits and most of the lineup will be the same both weekends, but who knows.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Umm Coachella is 2 weekends and grossed about $120 million  in 2019 because of having the same line up twice. And its been a 2 weekend format since 2012. You dont necessarily pay the artist double either. Over here in the states it could be 1 1/2 the artist fee plus a packaged tour with the promoter and dates revolving around the festival or later on in the year.

umm yeh, i get that, and ATP used to do it three times a year to make more money, etc, etc.

what rankles slightly is that people who have carried their tickets over did it assuming they'd have the option to see the  whole poster, not a 'pick and choose a weekend or double the cost' kinda thing. but i understand festivals gotta survive, and if it means i have to miss half the headliners i wanted to see cos i'm only going to one weekend, so be it i guess. and i'm aware there's a possibility it might be the same line up two times over, which is preferable, personally - just less of a headache.

it's covid's fault.

Edited by riseupandkill
  • Upvote 2

Hmm. This is a bit of a shiter. Was already a bit of a stretch for me this year/last year to get time off/afford this and Glastonbury, definitely wouldn't be able to do two weekends but having the option of the early weekend only might actually work out. 

That being said if there isn't enough I like on either weekend I might just patch it altogether. 

I’ve got an inkling (and hope) that it’s gonna end up being like Coachella with the same lineup over two weekends rather than two entirely different festivals just because of the logistics of having that many huge bands booked in one year, but I guess we’ll see.

Going to both weekends with different lineups would be incredible and something I’m definitely going over in my head, but money wise it’d be a huge stretch, especially with the hope of going to Glastonbury still there at the moment.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’ve got an inkling (and hope) that it’s gonna end up being like Coachella with the same lineup over two weekends rather than two entirely different festivals just because of the logistics of having that many huge bands booked in one year, but I guess we’ll see.

Going to both weekends with different lineups would be incredible and something I’m definitely going over in my head, but money wise it’d be a huge stretch, especially with the hope of going to Glastonbury still there at the moment.

Definitely. As I’ve said many times, I’m there for Pavement. If/when they play - maybe even twice - well, I dunno how that affects my choice!

43 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

But the sentence "it will have around 400 shows across two lineups" pretty much confirms that won't be the case isn't it?