Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

What do you think about them making the Wednesday a full day next year . If you have tickets for this year you can pay an extra 30 -40 Euros to make a 4 day ticket . I don't know if they have a problem with getting all the headliners space to play next year . But this would help out . Don't think the talk of double weekends works unless they have 1 in June and 1 in September. 

24 minutes ago, Fnmentaluk said:

What do you think about them making the Wednesday a full day next year . If you have tickets for this year you can pay an extra 30 -40 Euros to make a 4 day ticket . I don't know if they have a problem with getting all the headliners space to play next year . But this would help out . Don't think the talk of double weekends works unless they have 1 in June and 1 in September. 

personally i hope not, as i'd want to be there a day before then, and it adds cost of another night in a hotel on.

the wednesday is always a sort of semi proper day anyway for me, but it doesn't start till later than other days so i don't mind flying over that same morning  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Fnmentaluk said:

I remember the first primavera I went to in 2011 Wednesday night was in a courtyard at a castle. Then was at Arc de triomphe. 

Yeah, they also used to do amazing afternoon gigs too in amazing parks.

Was very sad when they stopped doing that.

48 minutes ago, davidoffescassi said:

Here is my bet: We will have two Primavera Sounds next year. One with the 2021 poster, and another with the 2022 one. In 2022 Rosalia will go with her new album.

Can't see it happening in June . 3 weekends in a row. As I said can see them doing 1 weekend in June .and one in September. 

Opens up more bands . Especially American bands or from Australia etc . Maybe don't want to come for one festival in June , when they booked for July August festival.

Really don’t think they’re gonna do anything other than the usual single Primavera Sound festival next year. Anything they’ve said about next year being bigger/better than usual is pure bluster, and after two years of inactivity they’d be foolish to suddenly throw a second event in to the fold. 

Regular Primavera Sound, possibly/hopefully with some bigger/better than usual headliners and acts booked, but I’m guessing it’ll be very similar to the 2020/2021 lineup with some changes for acts no longer planning to tour or whatever. 

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Really don’t think they’re gonna do anything other than the usual single Primavera Sound festival next year. Anything they’ve said about next year being bigger/better than usual is pure bluster, and after two years of inactivity they’d be foolish to suddenly throw a second event in to the fold. 

Regular Primavera Sound, possibly/hopefully with some bigger/better than usual headliners and acts booked, but I’m guessing it’ll be very similar to the 2020/2021 lineup with some changes for acts no longer planning to tour or whatever. 

So in summary, no chance it will be better than usual but possibly/hopefully it will better than usual ; )

23 minutes ago, xxialac said:

So in summary, no chance it will be better than usual but possibly/hopefully it will better than usual ; )

Well optimistically they’ll pull a big headliner out of the bag, but realistically they already had The Strokes who, whilst not to my taste, are a pretty big headliner for Primavera, so I’m expecting more or less the same with the few changes that are a given. Personally think there’s zero chance of a whole other weekend and/or extended mega Primavera.

44 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Well optimistically they’ll pull a big headliner out of the bag, but realistically they already had The Strokes who, whilst not to my taste, are a pretty big headliner for Primavera, so I’m expecting more or less the same with the few changes that are a given. Personally think there’s zero chance of a whole other weekend and/or extended mega Primavera.

I suspect these words will come back to bite and it will be more significant than normal but we'll see and you could be right.

There's a lot of money to be made in events next year and way more demand than normal. The trend in the last decade is for people to want (and pay more for) experiences and after two years with no events, music festivals are going to more popular than ever before. 

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

This already happened with the 2021 poster. There's no way they go bigger than that. I mean, that Saturday is bigger than sll of the 2017 headliners (w/o Frank)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, daveje said:

Just an observation that the unrealistically optimistic people haven't done well in their predictions in the last year or so.

We find out more in June. It's all baseless speculation at this point.

90% of the purpose of this entire thread is baseless speculation : ) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

In all honesty my dream would be that they cherry pick the best of the 20/21 line up and then replace some of the less relevant names with artists releasing albums from now till June(ish) 2022. 

St Vincent, NIN, Lana Del Rey added and I'll be chuffed. Fiona Apple would be a dream but I appreciate the chances of that happening are next to nil.

24 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Didn't they have their own Barcelona dates last year too, yet were still on the lineup?

Yeah they did, forgot about that! I suppose some bands have played the festival after playing in Barcelona a few months before so it doesn’t necessarily rule them out, just in general makes them a bit less likely. I suspect we’ll still see Metronomy next year then, which I’m all for.

On 3/18/2021 at 10:38 AM, daveje said:

Just an observation that the unrealistically optimistic people haven't done well in their predictions in the last year or so.

We find out more in June. It's all baseless speculation at this point.

This. There will not be two Primaveras in 2022.

Idles, Porridge Radio, Metronomy and Girl in Red now all have Barcelona dates in 2022. Metronomy and DIIV were scheduled for 2020 despite BCN dates. Its still giving me the feeling that the 2022 Poster will look more different to 2021 than 2021 did to 2022

There is a Primavera Sound radio program in which Gabi Ruiz (one of the festival leaders) participates. And he commented that 99% of the bands had told them that they would come to play if the problem with the flights was solved.

The main reason for the cancellation (once again) has been the lack of cooperation and information with the Spanish government.

They have not helped them to set a deadline, or offer any kind of help in case of cancellation, and they could not take the risk to continue working under those conditions.

He said that perhaps it could have been celebrated.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, davidoffescassi said:

There is a Primavera Sound radio program in which Gabi Ruiz (one of the festival leaders) participates. And he commented that 99% of the bands had told them that they would come to play if the problem with the flights was solved.

The main reason for the cancellation (once again) has been the lack of cooperation and information with the Spanish government.

They have not helped them to set a deadline, or offer any kind of help in case of cancellation, and they could not take the risk to continue working under those conditions.

He said that perhaps it could have been celebrated.

Yeah, it was overstated to talk about Primavera having no chance. It could have happened with a progressive government and insurance.

I'm pretty sure there will end up being a biggish outdoor event around September...just sadly was too difficult a call for Primavera to have made back a month ago.

And Catalonia will have vaccinated their vulnerable by June.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:29 PM, xxialac said:

Yeah, it was overstated to talk about Primavera having no chance. It could have happened with a progressive government and insurance.

I'm pretty sure there will end up being a biggish outdoor event around September...just sadly was too difficult a call for Primavera to have made back a month ago.

And Catalonia will have vaccinated their vulnerable by June.

*sigh*

We'll be lucky if 2022 is back to normal how are people still underestimating this? 

Germanys Fusion festival has outlined plans to go ahead with 70.000 people in July by strict PCR tests for every attendee and everyone involved in the festival. You will only get access if you have a negative PCR thats registered to a chip on your wristband. This drove prices up by more than 50%. It was only possible to even THINK of that because the festival is non-profit, relies in very large parts on volunteer work and autonomous artist collectives and because they don't need any big international acts to sell out. 

With Germany now in the ascent of the third wave and no new measures taken for a month, there is still only a slim chance this will happen even with this rigid test regime. This is the lenghts you have to go to to make a festival this size happen in 2021. It is simply impossible to have a profitable festival unde these conditions. Everyone in the industry knew and they acted accordingly. The festivals still scheduled without any measures (like f.e. Lowlands) are extremely unlikely to happen. Even with 60-70% of people vaccinated an outbreak would be devastating and it would be criminally irresponsible to let a festival happen. Central Europe is being swept by the third wave that will be far more devastating than the first two.

This is far from over.

Edited by Quadrophobia

58 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

*sigh*

We'll be lucky if 2022 is back to normal how are people still underestimating this? 

Germanys Fusion festival has outlined plans to go ahead with 70.000 people in July by strict PCR tests for every attendee and everyone involved in the festival. You will only get access if you have a negative PCR thats registered to a chip on your wristband. This drove prices up by more than 50%. It was only possible to even THINK of that because the festival is non-profit, relies in very large parts on volunteer work and autonomous artist collectives and because they don't need any big international acts to sell out. 

With Germany now in the ascent of the third wave and no new measures taken for a month, there is still only a slim chance this will happen even with this rigid test regime. This is the lenghts you have to go to to make a festival this size happen in 2021. It is simply impossible to have a profitable festival unde these conditions. Everyone in the industry knew and they acted accordingly. The festivals still scheduled without any measures (like f.e. Lowlands) are extremely unlikely to happen. Even with 60-70% of people vaccinated an outbreak would be devastating and it would be criminally irresponsible to let a festival happen. Central Europe is being swept by the third wave that will be far more devastating than the first two.

This is far from over.

Counter point:

5,000 people were in a concert in the same city as Primavera Sound tonight.

No social distancing.

It’s still only March 2021 and this can happen even before the imminent positive impact of vaccines.