Primavera Sound 2022

daveje

On 3/2/2021 at 10:08 PM, Nesser said:

I always try to be one of the voices of reason on these threads, even the pessimistic one. But:

1) Not only have they announced the Porto dates, they have added a fourth day: Sunday. This only happened on 2012 and there were just two concerts (Jeff Mangum and Olivia Tremor Control), but Porto is getting bigger than previous years.

2) If you usually check the Werchter thread,  especially what Ken19 says, you already know there are some high level bands whose contracts are not that easy to end and it's easier for festivals to roll their booking to their next edition. Primavera saved most of their 2020 headliners and added a new pack for 2021, and there's always this idea that at least a couple of bands are booked like a year in advance, so one might think that they could have a problem with... too many headliners.

3) Gabi and co didn't announce the Barcelona dates. Not the first time this happened with the very first announcement, tho.

4) The fucking double thing on the announcement

And probably they just rearranged the Porto schedule to free up some slots on the main festival and moved a couple of bands to the Sunday plus some headliners from Barcelona 2020 are not playing on 2022 so they have no issue with a lot of bands playing and the double thing on the announcement is just some encouraging words.

But what if they are pulling an Austin City Limits? Two festivals on two consecutive weekends, 80% of the bands playing on both and different ¿headliners? each one. I can't either see 65k people each weekend tbh, so this is likely a pipe dream but they were selling so good in 2020 and sold out 2021 almost instantly (?) so I don't fucking know anymore.

Sunday was included in the fest dates for 2020 and we discussed that on here. 

Why are we discussing two weekends, that isn't even a remore possibility. Coachella can pull that trick, bc of its rather unique time in the year w/ little competition. PS would never be able to secure a lineup for two weekends.

Point 2) is valid though and happens quite a lot. Typically this is resolved by adding an extra day that you have to pay additionally. If they put Tame Impala on an extra day I'd be so in to spend 50 quid on litre bottles of beer and patatas bravas somewhere else.

Edit: pls don't start a 10 page discussion on extra days, rn nothing points to that. We should socratise a little here

Edited by Quadrophobia

10 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Sunday was included in the fest dates for 2020 and we discussed that on here. 

Why are we discussing two weekends, that isn't even a remore possibility. Coachella can pull that trick, bc of its rather unique time in the year w/ little competition. PS would never be able to secure a lineup for two weekends.

Point 2) is valid though and happens quite a lot. Typically this is resolved by adding an extra day that you have to pay additionally. If they put Tame Impala on an extra day I'd be so in to spend 50 quid on litre bottles of beer and patatas bravas somewhere else.

Edit: pls don't start a 10 page discussion on extra days, rn nothing points to that. We should socratise a little here

Sunday wasn't included in the dates for 2020.

On 3/14/2021 at 2:20 PM, Ildavo said:

I've not had anything from them either. Rolled mine over from 2020 as well

I am in the exact same situation, but i got an email from Redtkt. The content was the same letter from PS director that Dice or other customers received. Check out your spam folder, Redtkt emails tend to go to spam (at least in my hotmail email). Basically, on June you'll have the chance to roll over again or request a refund. Watch out around those dates.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

If you're listening (or anyone) could you summarise what's said - thanks.

I wonder if we'll ever find out what surprises had been planned for the 20th anniv edition...

Very much just in for a chat rather than to make any announcement. Only notable thing was they are planning to have a Weekender this year.

Lamented lack of govt support for live music industry and how once a venue closes, it's gone for good.

Asked about the impact of Brexit, he said it's a problem for UK acts more than for PS, acknowledged that smaller UK acts will find it harder to visit Europe.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hip Priest said:

Very much just in for a chat rather than to make any announcement. Only notable thing was they are planning to have a Weekender this year.

Lamented lack of govt support for live music industry and how once a venue closes, it's gone for good.

Asked about the impact of Brexit, he said it's a problem for UK acts more than for PS, acknowledged that smaller UK acts will find it harder to visit Europe.

Brilliant, thanks for jotting this down.

Was it mentioned (or implied) that the weekender will be in Benidorm again?

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What about in 2021 they have a Primavera Sound in early June and another in August/September? That seems the far most likely 'two Primaveras' scenarios.

So in June people can choose which one they want to attend and they pre-announce the headliners for late Summer...

That would be the worst step they could take. Instead of relying on a solid restart with a somewhat secure number of attendees, theyd spread their audience onto two datess making it hardly possible to sell out either of those.

Just now, Quadrophobia said:

That would be the worst step they could take. Instead of relying on a solid restart with a somewhat secure number of attendees, theyd spread their audience onto two datess making it hardly possible to sell out either of those.

There's enormous pent up demand for festivals. Dodgy festivals in the UK that normally struggle to shift tickets are selling out almost immediately.

Plus would solve the problem of the extra headliners.

I'm convinced they're doing something different next year...

@xxialac Well you were also convinced they were going ahead with the festival this September 😄

Re: Weekender at Benidorm: the reason why most of us who went came back saying it was incredible/one of the best weekends ever/whatever is very much linked with the venue itself, so I'd say there's no chance of a second edition under the same moniker if the place isn't available/secured. Also, getting a ticket is going to be worse than Glastonbury so it'll be fun.

10 minutes ago, Nesser said:

@xxialac Well you were also convinced they were going ahead with the festival this September 😄

Re: Weekender at Benidorm: the reason why most of us who went came back saying it was incredible/one of the best weekends ever/whatever is very much linked with the venue itself, so I'd say there's no chance of a second edition under the same moniker if the place isn't available/secured. Also, getting a ticket is going to be worse than Glastonbury so it'll be fun.

Fair enough. I'm sure it was a close call though and wasn't such a far-fetched idea as had been claimed. e.g. Lowlands has just announced today for August with quite sizable acts like Chemical Brothers and Liam Gallagher.

Edited by xxialac

IIRC Belgium just passed a bill that granted funds to these type of events from ¿August? in case they can't be held -which I think will be the case of Lowlands-. Anyway, there's nothing similar to that bill here in Spain. I don't know when we will see the first 60k cap event but September in Spain seemed impossible. 2000 people in November seems easier.

7 hours ago, MagneticField85 said:

I am in the exact same situation, but i got an email from Redtkt. The content was the same letter from PS director that Dice or other customers received. Check out your spam folder, Redtkt emails tend to go to spam (at least in my hotmail email). Basically, on June you'll have the chance to roll over again or request a refund. Watch out around those dates.

Had a look through my emails including spam and can't seem to find anything. When did you get your email from REDTKT? I have the ones they sent last year. Thanks!

14 hours ago, Ildavo said:

Had a look through my emails including spam and can't seem to find anything. When did you get your email from REDTKT? I have the ones they sent last year. Thanks!

neither me or my mate have had anything from them yet - i emailed them and they actually replied saying they'll be in touch on june 2nd....