Van crew - assemble

blutarsky

4 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

Kennard Moor Drove has dozens of vans that have been there for years - gardens and all.  Council did a "clean out" once there since 2016, but that is it.

Just Google Street-Viewed it 😃

2021-03-06.png

4 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

You should try Glastonbury (the town, not festival). There are for example, a couple of vans who have been at the base of the Tor since around April 2020. Been moved on for a day maybe twice.  Couple of vans on the side streets have been there (on and off) for what must be getting on 2 years now.  Kennard Moor Drove has dozens of vans that have been there for years - gardens and all.  Council did a "clean out" once there since 2016, but that is it.

Nightmare... We've got about 15/20 gypsies over the park... The thing is they don't want to be discriminated against but they will leave LOADS AND LOADS of rubbish.. It usually happens here in summer and is so bad that they have security guards on the bloody Rds around here which gets to be a nightmare... Also when you think about it if I or you were to do it and park in a park you'd have been moved on and fined in the first 2 hours lol.. O well that's my griping out for the night lol 

1 hour ago, Paul ™ said:

Just Google Street-Viewed it 😃

2021-03-06.png

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

Ha! just what I did, that's from 2008 though, maybe they're still there!

Funnily enough, I would say that is a prime spot.  As in, if you were turning up in a van looking for a free spot to park up for the night, I would say you could do worse than get that spot.  Thing is, I am pretty sure has been occupied pretty much continuously since 2009.  Certainly since 2016 that I have seen. 

Here it is in 2009 from another angle:

image.thumb.png.285d3f44c8cfda3bc260c80dd0ee4129.png

Here is the view:

image.thumb.png.5fc3cc8be33ca7d56ba9c19667eb1cb6.png

The river Brue runs alongside the road.  It makes for a very picturesque outlook. 

image.thumb.png.45c90a4a0f8318e29edcde079af66312.png

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

... . Also when you think about it if I or you were to do it and park in a park you'd have been moved on and fined in the first 2 hours lol.. O well that's my griping out for the night lol 

Well, I have had someone park on my drive in their camper, and sleep the night.  Ignore me banging on the door, and then in the morning bang on the house door to ask that I move the car I parked behind their van so they can leave.

You could move on to the drove (or other roads around here) and be fine for years.  I am not passing judgement here, just passing information. Personally, the drove wins it for me.  The view is fantastic.  If you can find a spot.  But, there are plenty of other places around Glastonbury where there are vans who are willing to accept less impressive views. 

image.png

image.png

Nice info.

We live full time in our motorhome, spending 6 months in the UK in summer (usually working events!) but bugger off in winter to volunteer in Portugal (and land hunt as might buy some there), as it's too cold here in winter to stay tbh.

It's tough at times in the UK to live full time van life and not get harrased, lack of facilities and park ups are a pain, but we use a couple of apps to help find nice little quiet places for a night or 2. 
At least in Europe there are plenty free aires/park ups with facilites (some with electric too) that you can use, though we did find when coming back via France a couple weeks ago, the local French vanlifers tend to squat the good spots with hook up!

I imagine that it is the same anywhere - there are a very few good spots (as in, that's a great spot and that is that - no-one questions if you should be there), a few technically legal, a few "it's not legal but who policies that" and then the rest. 

If you were coming here in the next few months, where would I suggest?  Well, you could do worse than Stonedown Lane (top part, by Baskefield Lane).  Honestly, winter solstice saw the lane totally blocked. 

I can’t say I’ve seen a ticket issued in the past 12 months on this lane.  The council will come around and have chat, but tickets?  Not that I have seen. 

If you were thinking more of moving in, then the Drove is the answer – if you could find a spot.  If you couldn’t, well, camp on up on Stone Down & wait for the council to move you on.

• 2 weeks later...

*** Odd question alert ***

Is anyone a registered motor trader? 
I’ve found a couple of vans I want which are up for auction on Monday, but you need to be a registered trader to bid. If anyone’s able to bid on my behalf I’d happily pay a commission fee. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to announce that I am now officially part of the van crew. Went for a three hour drive this morning to look at a Fiat Ducato minibus and I’m now the proud owner of “Bluebell”. 

Headed back along the A303 and had a lovely view of Stonehenge in the sun. I was tempted to take a detour to Pilton but decided it was better to press on home, especially seeing as I am restricted to 62 mph. 

We have a campervan ticket for Beautiful Days in August so the pressure is on to get her converted. 

Best get started by getting rid of those seats tomorrow... 

2D85178C-5238-4AF8-9A56-7A143A329311.jpeg

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Best get started by getting rid of those seats tomorrow... 

Congratulations.

I sold the seats out my Transit when I converted it, got decent money for them and the tracks/fixtures.

Spent 3 and a half hours today taking 54 bolts and umpteen screws out of the floor of the bus to remove the screws. Now to undo another 30 bolts (on the floor and below the van) to remove the aluminium frame they were mounted on. I suppose the bog positive is that’s loads of weight coming out of the vehicle. 

Anyone want to buy a minibus seat? 

7F1FB4E7-02BE-4B00-9586-6898AE3B84AE.jpeg

570ABD39-48D1-4882-85C2-39C058FD3B42.jpeg

1A07A6E7-AC2D-4C44-AB27-DBA4689AB9FB.jpeg

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

Spent 3 and a half hours today taking 54 bolts and umpteen screws out of the floor of the bus to remove the screws. Now to undo another 30 bolts (on the floor and below the van) to remove the aluminium frame they were mounted on. I suppose the bog positive is that’s loads of weight coming out of the vehicle. 

Nice!  I look forward to this thread - It looks like a decent van - a solid start.

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

There's something not quite right about some of these pics, not sure what it is, any particular reason you picked a belu van?

3 hours ago, gizmoman said:

There's something not quite right about some of these pics, not sure what it is, any particular reason you picked a belu van?

Just what was available. It’s a former sunshine bus and the majority of those are that sky blue colour. It will get a paint job at some point down the road. 

1 hour ago, Paul ™ said:

How you blocking some of the windows up?

Only blocking one, the middle panel on the opposite side to the sliding door. Will go with reflectex type closed cell foam, foil backed. Will probably double it up so there’s foil facing in and out for thermal qualities. Then board over the top. 

On 3/5/2021 at 9:34 PM, guypjfreak said:

Did I say I might turn that VW thing into the clock..... 

Anyway on a serious note and someone will tell you exactly what is what but to camp in the campers field and I'm sure this applies to alot of festivals YOU HAVE TO HAVE a bed not just a mattress on the floor,, a sink with running water and a toilet.. 

So you must bare this in mind... 

I hope this post helps ANYONE thinking of doing a van build. 

Toilet isn't part of the required spec.

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

I was joking, it wasn't a typo!

😂 I was up with baby Blutarsky in the middle of the night - right over my head! A bit more subtle than the joke my neighbour made about washing the windows... 

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Consider getting an awning sas the extra space is nice particularly if it's raining cooped up in a van in summer humidity can be unpleasant.getyouself a mobile WiFi setup something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CZYM51X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely putting an awning on. Thanks for the link on mobile WiFi, that’s really useful Neil. 

8 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

😂 I was up with baby Blutarsky in the middle of the night - right over my head! A bit more subtle than the joke my neighbour made about washing the windows... 

Definitely putting an awning on. Thanks for the link on mobile WiFi, that’s really useful Neil. 

No problem can't tell you how good it is yet I've not got home since I ordered it.

9 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I'm hoping to link the mobilewiwifi into my home network so that I can access my music library. Also bought a one of these for decentmobile sounds

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W215T57/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm hoping to link the mobilewiwifi into my home network so that I can access my music library. Also bought a one of these for decentmobile sounds

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W215T57/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Holy shit that’s steep! That will be an after market addition for us with our budget... 

It’ll be my tiny portable Anker SoundCore for the time being!