Van crew - assemble

blutarsky

Round 3:

All back together, the side moulding is on (missing a screw at the top that I can't reach when it's lying flat like this 😄 ) and the bottom hinge securely attached. The metal plate is an old 'fix' I did years back to add strength, not needed now, but it's easier to put the bolts back than it is to fill the holes 🙂 If the weather stays nice, I'll be fitting it back in the caravan this evening.

IMG_20220428_201103.jpg

Edited by paulshane
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, paulshane said:

Round 3:

All back together, the side moulding is on (missing a screw at the top that I can't reach when it's lyting flat like this 😄 ) and the bottom hinge securly attached. The metal plate is an old 'fix' I did years back to add strength, not needed now, but it's easier to put the bolts back than it is to fill the holes 🙂

IMG_20220428_201103.jpg

Top work - looking forward to the pics of it all reassembled and erected. 

10 hours ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

I wouldn't want to do it routinely for the reasons you mentioned, but in an emergency its been needed a couple of times. Mines a petrol, and whether by design*, or more likely just because the engine is somewhat worn out, the compression ratio doesn't seem to be that high and it doesn't take much to get the engine to turn over.

I've seen suggestions in some forums, rather than jump starting directly from the leisure battery, use it to charge the main battery, then start as normal, which might be reasonable if you've got the time to wait.

I keep looking at those Lithium jump packs, but I'd probably leave it in the wrong vehicle or forget to charge it when I get round to needing it.

edit. *Looked it up. Compression ratio is 8.6:1

I've got one of these

https://www.toolden.co.uk/p/sealey-e-start800-electrostart-batteryless-power-start-800a-12v/

which gets round the problem of remembering to charge it. You do still need to remember to keep it in the van though. Can't help  with that one.

Got me out of bother a few times. And guests at work on a few occasions.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I've got one of these

https://www.toolden.co.uk/p/sealey-e-start800-electrostart-batteryless-power-start-800a-12v/

which gets round the problem of remembering to charge it. You do still need to remember to keep it in the van though. Can't help  with that one.

Got me out of bother a few times. And guests at work on a few occasions.

Thats neat 🙂

Just now, philipsteak said:

Whenever ive used it for someone else's vehicle they've either understood how it works and think 'that's really clever' or not understood how it works and basically think it's witchcraft. 

yeah, I guess it feels like magic - "what, you connect a box to my flat battery which uses the flat battery to un flat the battery?' similar devices were the hot ticket in the car stereo world a while back, a big capacitor inline with your amp, so it can draw sudden surges of power from the capacitor, which is constantly 'topped up' by the normal 12v feed.

Round 4

side panel back in and it is a lot stronger now, so actually 'opens' properly.

This is it layed down, the opposite side folds down in the same way, so sits on top of the door panel, then the ends fold in over that, and use the gas struts to help support the weight of the roof, which then fits snugly over the lot ready for towing.

image.thumb.png.90638a59717515aefa0ed49b25ad2a21.png

hinges back in place, I've drilled new holes to screw into 'fresh' wood as the original screw holes are knackered, and this is easier than replacing the lower wood support, but it'll need doing one day 🙂

image.thumb.png.3d7415ac10e17489cdfabce8bdea1cef.png

Back up and everything mostly lines up now, result 🙂 Everything is a bit wonky from all the bodges over the years, so it needs wiggling to get everything in place, but it's weather proof, so good ebough for a week at Glastonbury 🙂 I'd love to see what a brand new one of these looked like, just to see if it was easier to put up, and how the interior was configured - as everything has to fit under the side panels, so nothing can be taller than the lower half of the door.

image.thumb.png.3c547f934939d3edf4bf56e1bb445397.png

I'm going through the interior i built (it was empty when I bought it) so I'll grab some pics of how i've made everything 'modular' so it can pack away.

• Like 1

Also found some pics of what it looks like when it all goes wrong. This is 2011, and this happened after i'd got home, and was putting the caravan up to clean it out. Because the wood on the end panel that the hinge attaches to had become so rotten, when lifting the lid to make the panel hinge upwards, instead it pulled away from the frame, and without the help of the gas struts, its far far too heavy to lift into position without the help of a few people and a step ladder, so I an very glad this didn't happen at the start of the festival that year 🙂

image.thumb.png.a5eaa4e5689bf9d0ca3f65df673f2418.png

image.thumb.png.39d701823fe8181987672f5eb2e4293a.png

Remember the times before affordable battery powered tools? Corded drill dates this pic  🙂

image.thumb.png.84e25e1717c70170e135eae9e006141f.png

Inspired, or shamed (take your pick) into action by this thread, I found some time to start on the camper. Its an '89 VW T25 and apart from 2 MOTS (less than 1 mile in total as the garage is at the end of the road), the van has been sat in the back garden since Glastonbury 2019 and isn't looking good on it, rust starting to appear in various places, paintwork becoming pretty poor as well .  I have limited time to spend on it, so its going to be minimum required to safely get there and back, hopefully. It will look pretty ratty though.

Today got it started and run up to temperature, pumped up the tyres, removed the crap that has piled up inside as its been used as ad hoc storage. Drove it 3 odd  miles to the petrol station to put some fresh petrol in. A relevant change for such an old vehicle is since 2019 is unleaded contains 10% ethanol. I should really change all the flexible rubber fuel line, and possibly the fuel pump diaphragm and maybe the petrol tank filler neck to accommodate the change, but I don't think have time to do that. So it was E5 super unleaded today and see how it goes on that. I'm going to have to remortgage the house if I need to fill it up with super on the motorway.

Removed the dead solar panel. Before 2019 I used to have a  rigid solar panel mounted on a  rack on the rear section of the roof. It worked ok but the problem was, depending on the direction of the sun, the panel was often in shade when the pop top was raised - which is whenever we are in the van. So for Glastonbury 2019 I fitted an ETFE flexi solar panel on top of the pop top which solved the problem and worked well keeping the leisure battery charged up pop top up or down. ETFE flexi panels are supposed to be more robust than the earlier versions but this one had lasted just over a year before it died, possibly from overheating as it turns out. I had stuck it down with VHB 5952 tape which provided the surfaces are clean, sticks like sh*t, and proved to be an absolute PITA to remove. Reassuringly difficult really, as I'm now happy there is no way the panel is going to come off on the motorway.  However, once it was removed I found a couple of hundred small blisters in the fibreglass under the panel area. Solar panels get hot and since flexis don't have an air gap, so does whatever they are attached too. I'm guessing in this causing the blisters. I should sand the whole are back and fix the blisters with epoxy resin or similar but that's another big job I'll have to leave until I'm sure the more important stuff is done.

So todays choice, do I go for another flexible solar panel mounted on the poptop, or go back to the reliable but less useful rigid panel on the back of the roof. I can't put a decent size rigid panel on the pop top as they weigh a lot more and the pop top mechanism won't hold the roof up. I can probably mount a flexi panel on some 4mm polycarb or similar on the pop top to allow some air underneath which might stop the overheating issue.

Next job has to be oil and filter change, even though its done less than 400 miles since the last one. I checked my Amazon orders and its 3 years to the day I ordered the last oil filter, so apparently I'm no later in my prep than usual, though it definitely feels like it. Glad I've started but I'm not sure what I will find next. Fingers crossed its reliable for BT and Glastonbury.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Inspired, or shamed (take your pick) into action by this thread, I found some time to start on the camper. Its an '89 VW T25 and apart from 2 MOTS (less than 1 mile in total as the garage is at the end of the road), the van has been sat in the back garden since Glastonbury 2019 and isn't looking good on it, rust starting to appear in various places, paintwork becoming pretty poor as well .  I have limited time to spend on it, so its going to be minimum required to safely get there and back, hopefully. It will look pretty ratty though.

Today got it started and run up to temperature, pumped up the tyres, removed the crap that has piled up inside as its been used as ad hoc storage. Drove it 3 odd  miles to the petrol station to put some fresh petrol in. A relevant change for such an old vehicle is since 2019 is unleaded contains 10% ethanol. I should really change all the flexible rubber fuel line, and possibly the fuel pump diaphragm and maybe the petrol tank filler neck to accommodate the change, but I don't think have time to do that. So it was E5 super unleaded today and see how it goes on that. I'm going to have to remortgage the house if I need to fill it up with super on the motorway.

Removed the dead solar panel. Before 2019 I used to have a  rigid solar panel mounted on a  rack on the rear section of the roof. It worked ok but the problem was, depending on the direction of the sun, the panel was often in shade when the pop top was raised - which is whenever we are in the van. So for Glastonbury 2019 I fitted an ETFE flexi solar panel on top of the pop top which solved the problem and worked well keeping the leisure battery charged up pop top up or down. ETFE flexi panels are supposed to be more robust than the earlier versions but this one had lasted just over a year before it died, possibly from overheating as it turns out. I had stuck it down with VHB 5952 tape which provided the surfaces are clean, sticks like sh*t, and proved to be an absolute PITA to remove. Reassuringly difficult really, as I'm now happy there is no way the panel is going to come off on the motorway.  However, once it was removed I found a couple of hundred small blisters in the fibreglass under the panel area. Solar panels get hot and since flexis don't have an air gap, so does whatever they are attached too. I'm guessing in this causing the blisters. I should sand the whole are back and fix the blisters with epoxy resin or similar but that's another big job I'll have to leave until I'm sure the more important stuff is done.

So todays choice, do I go for another flexible solar panel mounted on the poptop, or go back to the reliable but less useful rigid panel on the back of the roof. I can't put a decent size rigid panel on the pop top as they weigh a lot more and the pop top mechanism won't hold the roof up. I can probably mount a flexi panel on some 4mm polycarb or similar on the pop top to allow some air underneath which might stop the overheating issue.

Next job has to be oil and filter change, even though its done less than 400 miles since the last one. I checked my Amazon orders and its 3 years to the day I ordered the last oil filter, so apparently I'm no later in my prep than usual, though it definitely feels like it. Glad I've started but I'm not sure what I will find next. Fingers crossed its reliable for BT and Glastonbury.

I had a flexi panel which I fitted just before covid hit which died before anything opened up again! Typically it was just out of warranty but the very nice people at Bimble Solar (who also run the Bimble Inn) replaced it with a rigid one for free. The rigid one does weigh more but the pop top still works fine. So I’d highly recommend seeing what they have to offer before you choose.

This is the panel I now have.

https://www.bimblesolar.com/solar/individual/victron-solar-mono-175

And the flexi one was a nightmare to get off! I had to get a metal ruler under it and slowly work my way around but it took ages. It’s still a bit of a mess underneath the rigid one but it wasn’t worth the effort to tidy up somewhere nobody can see.

Edited by t0paz
Added panel link

9 hours ago, t0paz said:

I had a flexi panel which I fitted just before covid hit which died before anything opened up again! Typically it was just out of warranty but the very nice people at Bimble Solar (who also run the Bimble Inn) replaced it with a rigid one for free. The rigid one does weigh more but the pop top still works fine. So I’d highly recommend seeing what they have to offer before you choose.

This is the panel I now have.

https://www.bimblesolar.com/solar/individual/victron-solar-mono-175

And the flexi one was a nightmare to get off! I had to get a metal ruler under it and slowly work my way around but it took ages. It’s still a bit of a mess underneath the rigid one but it wasn’t worth the effort to tidy up somewhere nobody can see.

Thanks for the link, I had no idea of the link between Bimble solar and the inn. Their "used" 260w panels look very tempting for the garage though shipping is half as much again. 

I used some isopropyl alcohol to soften the vhb tape and a thin metal flexible blade (for applying car body filler) to prise it apart and scrape. It probably took around 1.5 hours with gaps whilst the isopropyl did its thing to get it off and similarly its still a bit messy.

Some quick and dirty experiments with bits of wood sitting on the pop top tells me it can only take approx 4 kg max or the pop top* won't stay up. 4 kg would be a moderate rigid panel, maybe 40w or so, plus fixings and wires. It might be just enough for all day battery charging. I'll have a think.

*Pop top may be overstating it it. Its one of this type, just raises in the middle to give you some standing room. Or as the bloke I bought the camper from said; "just enough room to wear a top hat when cooking breakfast".

Eitherway as its so small, and old,  the springs aren't particularly strong. 

pop top.jpg

Edited by DarrenVonBoathook

11 hours ago, t0paz said:

I had a flexi panel which I fitted just before covid hit which died before anything opened up again! Typically it was just out of warranty but the very nice people at Bimble Solar (who also run the Bimble Inn) replaced it

I had exactly the same thing! Wasn’t their 150w own brand flexible one was it?

4 hours ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

Thanks for the link, I had no idea of the link between Bimble solar and the inn. Their "used" 260w panels look very tempting for the garage though shipping is half as much again. 

I used some isopropyl alcohol to soften the vhb tape and a thin metal flexible blade (for applying car body filler) to prise it apart and scrape. It probably took around 1.5 hours with gaps whilst the isopropyl did its thing to get it off and similarly its still a bit messy.

Some quick and dirty experiments with bits of wood sitting on the pop top tells me it can only take approx 4 kg max or the pop top* won't stay up. 4 kg would be a moderate rigid panel, maybe 40w or so, plus fixings and wires. It might be just enough for all day battery charging. I'll have a think.

*Pop top may be overstating it it. Its one of this type, just raises in the middle to give you some standing room. Or as the bloke I bought the camper from said; "just enough room to wear a top hat when cooking breakfast".

Eitherway as its so small, and old,  the springs aren't particularly strong. 

pop top.jpg

Is there room to fit one behind the pop top, directly to the roof? The rigid ones come with mounting brackets on each corner so might work?

Not wanting to change the subject, but something I need to get sorted before I put the van on the road in a months time, other than the the tax, is the insurance and getting some breakdown cover... Who should I be getting quotes from, and am I right in hearing that joining the caravan club is good idea to make things a little more cost effective?

Will post some more progress & an update on the van soon. Shitting it as time is going so quick and still so much more to do!

10 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

Not wanting to change the subject, but something I need to get sorted before I put the van on the road in a months time, other than the the tax, is the insurance and getting some breakdown cover... Who should I be getting quotes from, and am I right in hearing that joining the caravan club is good idea to make things a little more cost effective?

Will post some more progress & an update on the van soon. Shitting it as time is going so quick and still so much more to do!

the best time to get insurance for cars is about 1 month before ..... i always use sites like go compare .... not sure if its the same for campers but they hike the prices up close to the time as they presume people become more desperate 

2 hours ago, t0paz said:

Is there room to fit one behind the pop top, directly to the roof? The rigid ones come with mounting brackets on each corner so might work?

There is, that was my original pre 2019 setup, which was fine except that when the pop top was raised it it meant the solar panel could be in full  or partial shade depending on the angle of the sun in relation to the pop top. The Flexi solution was supposed to be my works no matter what is up or down solution. It worked well for about 12 months, which judging by the answer's above seems to be a common experience.  😀

8 hours ago, yehbutnobut said:

If you’re after campervan insurance then I’ve always got the best price from Brentacre.

https://www.brentacre.co.uk/campervan-insurance/

Quite often considerably cheaper than anything on the comparison sites.

The comparison sites don't seem to work for campers. Or at least they haven't for me. The very attractive quote you initially get falls apart very quickly.

I've used Adrian Flux for the last few years. Seem OK but I've never had to make a claim. Their sales people are a bit "salespersony" (I imagine their office has a big 'Coffee's for Closers' sign) but the price has always been fine.

I use One Answer - mainly because they were really helpful when I rang them from the side of the road needing to insure the van I'd just bought, a little over a year ago. They were really helpful in insuring the van as a camper rather than a minibus, even though it wasn't insured at that stage - halved the price. 

http://www.1answer.co.uk/ 

Brentacre seem to be well recommended in the VW groups i'm in, as are Just Kampers.

I use Direct Dial, I can't remember why, but they are pretty good - someone ploughed into the back of my van two years ago when it was parked up outside my house and it got written off as a Catagory S, but they allowed me to buy it back as well as giving me an agreeable payout, so wins all round really. It's been MOTd since and is still insured with them, I applied for a new V5, ticking the 'cat s' options on the DVLA site, new V5 came back, exactly the same as the old one...

But anyway, Direct Dial handled a legit claim very well, so thumbs up from me.

+1 for Brentacre - brilliant service, really helpful.  Last 4yrs has been same premium even after a total loss on my car last year, they didn't even charge me an admin fee when I rang to tell them!  

Did a minor repair only van last weekend, silicon glued the air deflector back kn above the windscreen that stops sir getting under the poptop - was previously held on with gorilla tape!  Not on the same level as you lot and your hand built total van conversion but I will be hand painting some waves as rust touch up next bank hols - I'll post pics if you want?

5 hours ago, paulshane said:

Always appreciate pics 🙂

Will do when he's finished - I used Hammerite straight to rust paint on my old T2 (RIP, he was written off in a horrendous accident) so think I'll use the same again - if anyone has any better suggestions hit me up, will be sourcing paint in next couple of weeks and painting over bank hols, with paint brushes none of your spray paint malarkey.