Van crew - assemble

blutarsky

On 8/9/2021 at 6:09 PM, funkychick2007 said:

Not able to do a conversion myself!! I would love a T4 but not confident enough to drive it!! 
so looking around at Caddy Van campervan conversions!! 
@Losing my hair has given me a few recommendations of places which do conversions which have been helpful!! 
as i know nothing about cars! Im thinking it wud be better to buy a van already converted rather than two separate purchases!!! 

T4 & T5 just like driving a car tbh, I was a bit nervous about driving our T5 to start with because of the size but in all honesty it doesn't feel much different - the actual driving experience, gears/steering/dash set up etc all very much the same as most VWs, and the wing mirrors are enormous so seeing behind is no bother😉  I too had a Polo, until last week when the feckin deer wrote it off☹ and yes the van is definitely bigger it doesn't feel too much😁

7 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Just round the corner from me. 

I'm assuming everyone else has left cos there's no way you'd get that spot to yourself in August

Nice spot. Arrived at 11pm after silly sat nav failed to take me to my fwiends fwiends house like it should have.  I was third in. 
Woke up and saw a heron at 5am. 

More progress today. Battery connected up to solar and I was able to charge my phone in the van! Also built bench seats (not quite finished - some temporary spacers in place in the photo) and wired up our fridge (65L Chinese knock off of a Waeco). 
A lot

of faff with the benches as I initially built them too deep and too high, until my aunt, who’d popped by for a cuppa, suggested measuring a dining chair and copying the measurements. So basically I built them twice. 

2DD6C888-F628-486A-8E19-46C3A7651DDD.jpeg

Edited by blutarsky
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

Its looking great!! 👍🏻

Thanks. Another good day today:

- the benches have hinges seats on them and are properly supported with noggins. 

- noggins added to the bathroom studwork. 

- a cupboard/wardrobe built on the end of the bathroom.

- constructed the footprint of the kitchen worktop. 

- fuse box arrived so we can have a working power supply. 

- Fiamma vent extension kit arrived so I can finish connecting it and we can have electrical ventilation. 

8EDAE3CA-2902-49EF-80B8-A0A81C7C156B.jpeg

1AA810FB-5905-47D7-933A-76C5E88B7E31.jpeg

A2C15FAD-C769-4930-A455-76F99F7A09FF.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Just now, blutarsky said:

Thanks. Another good day today:

- the benches have hinges seats on them and are properly supported with noggins. 

- noggins added to the bathroom studwork. 

- a cupboard/wardrobe built on the end of the bathroom.

- constructed the footprint of the kitchen worktop. 

- fuse box arrived so we can have a working power supply. 

- Fiamma vent extension kit arrived so I can finish connecting it and we can have electrical ventilation. 

8EDAE3CA-2902-49EF-80B8-A0A81C7C156B.jpeg

1AA810FB-5905-47D7-933A-76C5E88B7E31.jpeg

A2C15FAD-C769-4930-A455-76F99F7A09FF.jpeg

do you have a schedule to hit ? is it coming to Beautiful days ? 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

do you have a schedule to hit ? is it coming to Beautiful days ? 

It is coming to BD but will be a long way short of finished. We’ll have some of the electrical components including lights and fridge, and a working toilet, but the shower and kitchen won’t be running and it obviously won’t have finishing touches. After BD we have 3-4 days then off to Worthy Pastures, hence slogging my guts out atm! And all this on the back of very little sleep as baby-Blutarsky has decided she doesn’t need more than an hour or two on one go…! 

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

It is coming to BD but will be a long way short of finished. We’ll have some of the electrical components including lights and fridge, and a working toilet, but the shower and kitchen won’t be running and it obviously won’t have finishing touches. After BD we have 3-4 days then off to Worthy Pastures, hence slogging my guts out atm! And all this on the back of very little sleep as baby-Blutarsky has decided she doesn’t need more than an hour or two on one go…! 

It’s looking great, must be very satisfying. It’ll look amazing when done. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

We did our first family trip in the van at the weekend, down to Beautiful Days and the van did a fantastic job despite only being half finished. 

In terms of utilities we had lights, a few 12v sockets, and a working toilet. We also had a very comfy bed, a semi enclosed bathroom cubicle and a makeshift kitchen worktop. 

That meant Baby Blutarsky had a very comfortable time of it, we all slept well and we were able to cook breakfast on a camp stove in the van. 

It did get a bit cold overnight so I’m currently making sure the night heater is installed before we go to Worthy Pastures this Thursday. 

93D8B9EC-E25E-4B00-8DA0-5CD6230B6F58.jpeg

33D2E019-327A-4B8A-8618-BC71A6FF5F23.jpeg

25DA8FA4-BCA1-4A46-B826-B1E7BB6261A5.jpeg

1ACFF739-9A11-41DB-AABA-0F088EACE1AE.jpeg

C7F176C2-661B-4EB8-9001-D0208DD79C85.jpeg

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

And here is my van tour video……

Love it! Excellent work mate! You should be really proud of your work. 

Edited by blutarsky
Used wrong punctuation mark and changed entire tone of my post!

• 1 month later...

Thinking of putting in a bid for this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bedford-CF-Motorhome-a-reminder-of-some-terrible-life-choices-/265345781696?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

To save you a click, this is the description...

Well, well, well. Where do I start with this?

Up for sale is my 1984 Bedford CF camper van. A perfect restoration candidate for another coerced partner, or sadist.

I never wanted a campervan, my now ex girlfriend did. So we comprised and purchased a camper, without ever laying eyes on it first might I add. It was intended to be a "joint" project which in reality turned into her standing round for half a day complaining about the shed we'd brought, and the remainder of the time on my back about how long it was taking to transform it into her "perfect tranquil cabin on wheels". Yikes.

Fast forward a few months and she decided to up and leave (probably for a man with a much more impressive motorhome than mine) leaving only behind this sad slab of misery on wheels. Apart from being an eyesore and driving down local property prices, it serves as a personal reminder that the last few years of my life have truly and utterly been a waste.

As you can probably tell by this point I'm eager to get this thing off of my drive and draw a line under this turbulent chapter. So without further ado here's a little more about the van.

The Good:

-It's rock solid underneath.
-The wooded frame of the living area has been totally rebuilt, as it had signs of rot from previous leaking.
-It's been sealed and doesn't leak anymore.
-It's been fully insulated with a moisture barrier too.
-The brakes worked well (I can't vouch for this now but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be.
-It comes with everything you need to make this your own "perfect tranquil cabin on wheels" (eugh, that description will haunt me eternally) This includes loads of wiring tackle, 240v hook up, battery charger, circuit boards,  isolator switches, fuseboxes and a whole load of other crap. Bathroom fixtures and fittings including the worlds most expensive bog, taps, shower and shower tray, 2 water tanks (one for clean water and one for waste), water pump, water filter, cladding to finish off the bathroom wall and some form of water heater/boiler. It comes with cooker with hobs and a fridge, although I'm unsure if these work as they came with the van and I haven't ever got around to testing them, although I can't see why they wouldn't work.
-All in all everything you need to complete the van is there.

The Bad:

-It's unfinished.
-Theres some bubbling to one of the wings, I can't remember which side and it's too cold to go out and check.
-It doesn't run anymore, I stole the coil and leads to fix something else that I actually cared about, replace these and a see no reason why it won't fire straight back up.
-It needs body work and paint, it has previously been brush painted and has an incomplete repair on the rear but believe me the brush painting is probably the least of your concerns.
-It's profoundly ugly.
-It taunts me daily of my past failures and lost love.

The Ugly:

-See above. 

If you've made it this far you are probably mentally unwell or still being forced into making a perfect love den for those romantic weekend getaways, either way I applaud the dedication. If you do decide to bid on it and God forbid you actually win, you will have to get it transported or collect it yourself as I have neither the time, the means or the will to deliver it for you. I will do my best to answer any serious queries, but if you ask me about the flow rate of the shower for example; I probably won't. Its not perfect (far from it) nor road ready so don't expect it to be and you won't be disappointed, it's a cheap project and a good way to break into the world of motorhome owning. I'm just trying to get a little money back so I can go on a heavy night of drinking, perhaps visit a lady of the night depending on how well the auction goes and then close this awful chapter of my life. 

Happy bidding and good luck (God knows you're gonna need it)

Edited by Gnomicide

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Thinking of putting in a bid for this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bedford-CF-Motorhome-a-reminder-of-some-terrible-life-choices-/265345781696?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

To save you a click, this is the description...

Well, well, well. Where do I start with this?

Up for sale is my 1984 Bedford CF camper van. A perfect restoration candidate for another coerced partner, or sadist.

I never wanted a campervan, my now ex girlfriend did. So we comprised and purchased a camper, without ever laying eyes on it first might I add. It was intended to be a "joint" project which in reality turned into her standing round for half a day complaining about the shed we'd brought, and the remainder of the time on my back about how long it was taking to transform it into her "perfect tranquil cabin on wheels". Yikes.

Fast forward a few months and she decided to up and leave (probably for a man with a much more impressive motorhome than mine) leaving only behind this sad slab of misery on wheels. Apart from being an eyesore and driving down local property prices, it serves as a personal reminder that the last few years of my life have truly and utterly been a waste.

As you can probably tell by this point I'm eager to get this thing off of my drive and draw a line under this turbulent chapter. So without further ado here's a little more about the van.

The Good:

-It's rock solid underneath.
-The wooded frame of the living area has been totally rebuilt, as it had signs of rot from previous leaking.
-It's been sealed and doesn't leak anymore.
-It's been fully insulated with a moisture barrier too.
-The brakes worked well (I can't vouch for this now but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be.
-It comes with everything you need to make this your own "perfect tranquil cabin on wheels" (eugh, that description will haunt me eternally) This includes loads of wiring tackle, 240v hook up, battery charger, circuit boards,  isolator switches, fuseboxes and a whole load of other crap. Bathroom fixtures and fittings including the worlds most expensive bog, taps, shower and shower tray, 2 water tanks (one for clean water and one for waste), water pump, water filter, cladding to finish off the bathroom wall and some form of water heater/boiler. It comes with cooker with hobs and a fridge, although I'm unsure if these work as they came with the van and I haven't ever got around to testing them, although I can't see why they wouldn't work.
-All in all everything you need to complete the van is there.

The Bad:

-It's unfinished.
-Theres some bubbling to one of the wings, I can't remember which side and it's too cold to go out and check.
-It doesn't run anymore, I stole the coil and leads to fix something else that I actually cared about, replace these and a see no reason why it won't fire straight back up.
-It needs body work and paint, it has previously been brush painted and has an incomplete repair on the rear but believe me the brush painting is probably the least of your concerns.
-It's profoundly ugly.
-It taunts me daily of my past failures and lost love.

The Ugly:

-See above. 

If you've made it this far you are probably mentally unwell or still being forced into making a perfect love den for those romantic weekend getaways, either way I applaud the dedication. If you do decide to bid on it and God forbid you actually win, you will have to get it transported or collect it yourself as I have neither the time, the means or the will to deliver it for you. I will do my best to answer any serious queries, but if you ask me about the flow rate of the shower for example; I probably won't. Its not perfect (far from it) nor road ready so don't expect it to be and you won't be disappointed, it's a cheap project and a good way to break into the world of motorhome owning. I'm just trying to get a little money back so I can go on a heavy night of drinking, perhaps visit a lady of the night depending on how well the auction goes and then close this awful chapter of my life. 

Happy bidding and good luck (God knows you're gonna need it)

LOVE LOVE LOVE the brutally honest marketing schtick 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It’s been all quiet on the van front more or less since we went to Worthy Pastures - no more work completed and no overnight trips. 

However, we have been able to use it for days out and it’s been a huge help when the weather’s been bad, and fitting in stuff around Baby Blutarsky’s nap. 

We spent New Year's Eve (first day out of covid isolation) in an AONB, went for a nice walk and had lunch in the van hiding from the rain. 

We've been to the beach for a walk then had lunch in or coffee in it while Baby Blutarsky naps.

We've also left home really early and had breakfast in it before walking somewhere.

Most recently we took it out on Valentine's Day. Grandma Blutarsky had Baby Blutarsky while we parked in a layby overlooking the sea, cooked an Asian inspired meal and had a drink together. 

Pics below - can't wait to get the plumbing and kitchen sorted ahead of a trip to France this summer. 

9B8E5A86-35BE-4F07-9EA9-B05F5C2AA9BD.jpeg

BD4A78CD-0082-42A5-9871-E6BB0006CBCE.jpeg

063E153E-AB34-4688-A804-5324ED35E91A.jpeg

EDIT: That face-in-hole job on my daughter may be my finest work ever. What do you think @Graphic Design Pete?

Edited by blutarsky
Pic edit
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

It’s been all quiet on the van front more or less since we went to Worthy Pastures - no more work completed and no overnight trips. 

However, we have been able to use it for days out and it’s been a huge help when the weather’s been bad, and fitting in stuff around Baby Blutarsky’s nap. 

We spent New Year's Eve (first day out of covid isolation) in an AONB, went for a nice walk and had lunch in the van hiding from the rain. 

We've been to the beach for a walk then had lunch in or coffee in it while Baby Blutarsky naps.

We've also left home really early and had breakfast in it before walking somewhere.

Most recently we took it out on Valentine's Day. Grandma Blutarsky had Baby Blutarsky while we parked in a layby overlooking the sea, cooked an Asian inspired meal and had a drink together. 

Pics below - can't wait to get the plumbing and kitchen sorted ahead of a trip to France this summer. 

9B8E5A86-35BE-4F07-9EA9-B05F5C2AA9BD.jpeg

BD4A78CD-0082-42A5-9871-E6BB0006CBCE.jpeg

063E153E-AB34-4688-A804-5324ED35E91A.jpeg

EDIT: That face-in-hole job on my daughter may be my finest work ever. What do you think @Graphic Design Pete?

Outstanding pic work. I also like the van.

• 1 month later...