Van crew - assemble

blutarsky

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

Genuinely going to be disappointed if we meet up and you don't look like John Belushi

Prepare to be disappointed. I’ve a lot less hair and nose. 

3 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Pics when finished for those interested. 

Didn’t finish due to it absolutely fucking pissing down. Soz.

Well not a self build, though close to being a never-ending rolling restoration, I taxed the camper today ending 22 or so months of being on SORN. Its an old enough bus that sitting under a cover in the back garden for protracted periods of time undoubtedly does no good so hopefully by taxing it I'll get out and about getting the brakes and fluids moving and force me to do a service and deal with whatever else needs doing*. It would be nice to think it might be used for an overnight camp or two but its looking less likely as the summer rolls on.

*within reason. The synchro ring between gears 1&2 is  worn and I should do something about it, but I've learned to drive round the problem and I really don't fancy removing and rebuilding the gearbox in the back garden, so that particular issue is going to stay for a while.

1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

Lost a screw, but what can you do?

005B7109-9017-4DCF-AC4D-F2CC79817896.jpeg

Get a replacement? 

Yesterday I managed to finish fitting the water heater and it’s exhaust, finish fitting my toilet access door, panel part of the van ready for electrical components to be attached to it, build up and fit the shower tray and fit the shower drain and connect it to the waste tank. 
It was a productive day, but limited pics because I was rushing around like a mentalist! 

The next stage is going to be finishing all the ceiling fixtures, then building the bathroom, kitchen and all other furniture, so it should start to look like an actual campervan. All the hard work so far has been mostly on “unseen” essential components which make the van work as a living space but which don’t make it look like I’m making progress. 

No chance I will be finished in time for Beautiful Days so the challenge is just to have it comfortable enough to spend a few days. Plumbing, heating and electrics working and a bed. The current plan is to put mini-Blutarsky’s cot straight into the back as the rear seating area isn’t going to be done - I haven’t found any suitable seats yet! 

26C59FEC-4B03-4DDF-801D-EA94122E8288.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Nice. 

I have just “virtually” finished. Sat down for lunch and finally after 30 hours of F5 have managed to buy a camper van ticket to my only festival this year EOTR. 

I ended up paying for a large van because that was the first lucky F5 I got,  yet I will have one of the smallest vans on site. Should be comedy. 

Just need to properly string the lights and add a few fastener here and a bolt there. 

Scotland on Wednesday. 

Photo of the side door panel. 
FE615D75-867C-4F79-A8BA-16DECCCEA796.thumb.jpeg.6c285c711c5c6e2823ce8a3fe9f543b8.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2021 at 8:47 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

Ace! We have two friends who are cycling down Africa right now, Belgium to Turkey first, now done Cairo to Kenya, next stop Uganda. I love these intrepid people who do these adventures. What an amazing trip you have planned, best of luck.

That sounds like a lot of hard work, they are braver than me. 

our trip is something we have wanted to do for a long time but are just getting to the point where we can do it. We are probably not going for a few years yet, got a vehicle to build, money to save and we will wait until a certain you know what has buggered off for good.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 6:58 PM, ian the worm said:

Sounds like a great plan. How exciting. I assume you have a decent build budget and a half year or so for the trip?

We have a budget in mind, but we are only at the very start of figuring out what vehicle we want. I’d rather spend more before we go and have a tip top vehicle than keep costs low but have issues on route. I’m thinking 110 Land Rover  with the 300tdi as its the least complicated and actually considered pretty reliable, by LR standards anyway.

we are visiting a builder hopefully this weekend to have a chat and we are also going to an off road camper show in Germany in October.

we think 2 years is a reasonable length of time to allow for the trip. We know how long the group overland companies take and the pace they travel at so have basically doubled the length to allow us to do as we want and to allow a break halfway through.

Not able to do a conversion myself!! I would love a T4 but not confident enough to drive it!! 
so looking around at Caddy Van campervan conversions!! 
@Losing my hair has given me a few recommendations of places which do conversions which have been helpful!! 
as i know nothing about cars! Im thinking it wud be better to buy a van already converted rather than two separate purchases!!! 

1 hour ago, funkychick2007 said:

Not able to do a conversion myself!! I would love a T4 but not confident enough to drive it!! 
so looking around at Caddy Van campervan conversions!! 
@Losing my hair has given me a few recommendations of places which do conversions which have been helpful!! 
as i know nothing about cars! Im thinking it wud be better to buy a van already converted rather than two separate purchases!!! 

A SWB (Short wheel base) T4 / T5 is no longer than pretty much any estate car - if you get one with glass all round, it'll be just as easy to drive, plus you're higher up which means you can see over things 🙂

3 minutes ago, paulshane said:

A SWB (Short wheel base) T4 / T5 is no longer than pretty much any estate car - if you get one with glass all round, it'll be just as easy to drive, plus you're higher up which means you can see over things 🙂

Ahh thanks!! I was going to go for a SWB T4 but only drive automatics and a polo!! Finding an automatic VW is quite difficult! 

14 hours ago, Smeble said:

We have a budget in mind, but we are only at the very start of figuring out what vehicle we want. I’d rather spend more before we go and have a tip top vehicle than keep costs low but have issues on route. I’m thinking 110 Land Rover  with the 300tdi as its the least complicated and actually considered pretty reliable, by LR standards anyway.

we are visiting a builder hopefully this weekend to have a chat and we are also going to an off road camper show in Germany in October.

we think 2 years is a reasonable length of time to allow for the trip. We know how long the group overland companies take and the pace they travel at so have basically doubled the length to allow us to do as we want and to allow a break halfway through.

Something like this? 
image.thumb.jpeg.1b3eee43512cf9ac366cbeac19c7650c.jpeg

They are so cool. Would you rather have one that had the living space contained within the vehicle for security though?