Van crew - assemble

blutarsky

30 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

This van has a tail lift which is putting people off buying apparently. I'm tempted to buy it, remove the tail lift and sell it on eBay to hopefully make a few hundred quid back.

Had a tail/wheelchair lift on the back of the old transit, it worked fine but was not certified (which I think they need to be done annually/bi-annually) and isn't a cheap thing.

Without the certification, it's worthless scrap metal and would probably cost more to remove than it would make, I ended up letting a company take it off for me for spare parts just to lessen the overal weight 

5 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

The original VW bus was built on the same chassis as the Beetle so that gives you an idea of the size. 

There was a poster/t-shirt/tea towel (for all I know) that shows the outline of a beetle superimposed onto one of the original type 2 van and demonstrates this point. I thought would be easy to find on the web but my search engine fu has failed me.  IIRC only the original prototype used the Beetle chassis, the later changed to a ladder chassis.

But time moves on and once the van got to the 4th generation (T4) and the engine was put in the front like its competitor's its essentially the same as a Transit, Vivaro etc. However VW van history seems to have given the modern incarnations a following and a premium price in the camper conversion market. It often seems to be the case you can get a cheaper van to convert if it doesn't have a VW badge on the front, at least in the Transporter size.

Edited by DarrenVonBoathook

15 hours ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

There was a poster/t-shirt/tea towel (for all I know) that shows the outline of a beetle superimposed onto one of the original type 2 van and demonstrates this point. I thought would be easy to find on the web but my search engine fu has failed me.  IIRC only the original prototype used the Beetle chassis, the later changed to a ladder chassis.

But time moves on and once the van got to the 4th generation (T4) and the engine was put in the front like its competitor's its essentially the same as a Transit, Vivaro etc. However VW van history seems to have given the modern incarnations a following and a premium price in the camper conversion market. It often seems to be the case you can get a cheaper van to convert if it doesn't have a VW badge on the front, at least in the Transporter size.

but wheelbase has zero to do with carrying capacity / load area.

my mondeo estate has the same wheelbase as the saloon, but I can mysteriously get a sofa in the back of mine that wouldn't fit in the saloon.

Anyway, VW scene tax is a real thing (I have owned a few VW vans and currently have a T2 and a T5) so the recommendation to get a not-VW is good if you want to spend more on converting a van to a camper.

The insurance thing is really not an issue any more. My T5 is a panel van, in real life and on the V5, and it's not more expensive to insure than the mondeo.

The DVLA will now only register a van as a camper if has a FIXED high top.

Personally, I can't see any advantage in getting a van re-regged, other than being able to go a bit faster on dual carriagways, but I'm rarely in a hurry when im in my van anyway.

22 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

The original VW bus was built on the same chassis as the Beetle so that gives you an idea of the size. 

They absolutely weren't. 🙂 The beetle has a floorpan, the bus has always been a monocoque design.

Edited by ClementsMike
typo
  • Upvote 1

image.png.236e2a1b9954b12f8bc5348da8145d99.png

18 hours ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Does anyone have any experience of the Iveco Daily? 

We had 2 LWB versions where I used to work (5 years ago), one of which was used as a mobile workshop by the fitter and the boss used the other as his rally support vehicle (he had an Impreza which he rallied) as well as a general workhorse. They were reliable if that's what you need to know.

We’re looking at getting a minibus to convert as you seem to be able to get a lot more for your money at the moment. Generally lower mileage and better nick than panel vans, plus they’ve often had an easier life. 

One concern is that they have windows all round. On the one hand this is good as it means they’re light and saves money on fitting windows. It seems to me it should be easy enough to cover the windows we don’t want with insulation and furniture. 

On the other hand, this could lead to condensation possibly? 
Also, the windows will be single glazed and with conversions where you fit your own windows you can choose double glazed, although obviously this costs. 

Any pearls of wisdom? 

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

We’re looking at getting a minibus to convert as you seem to be able to get a lot more for your money at the moment. Generally lower mileage and better nick than panel vans, plus they’ve often had an easier life. 

One concern is that they have windows all round. On the one hand this is good as it means they’re light and saves money on fitting windows. It seems to me it should be easy enough to cover the windows we don’t want with insulation and furniture. 

On the other hand, this could lead to condensation possibly? 
Also, the windows will be single glazed and with conversions where you fit your own windows you can choose double glazed, although obviously this costs. 

Any pearls of wisdom? 

I'd go with a minibus or combi van (i use a NV200 Combi) You can easily cover the unwanted windows with insulation as you say and you have the benefit of a proper roof lining which you can remove, insulate underneath and replace, saves time on fitting a custom ceiling. If you're just occasional fairweather camping, Spring to Autumn festivals etc. I wouldn't worry too much about condensation, if you're cooking you'll have the door or rooflight open and any overnight moisture soon evaporates once you open up in the morning. If you were using it year round or full-time it would warrant more attention. On my van I cover the windows at night with insulated covers I have wind deflectors on the front doors so we can keep the front windows down a couple of inches at night to get air in, there will be a bit of condensation on the front screen in the morning but as I say it soon goes, some people use the Karcher window vacs to clear it but it's not really been an issue for us.

2 hours ago, gizmoman said:

I'd go with a minibus or combi van (i use a NV200 Combi) You can easily cover the unwanted windows with insulation as you say and you have the benefit of a proper roof lining which you can remove, insulate underneath and replace, saves time on fitting a custom ceiling. If you're just occasional fairweather camping, Spring to Autumn festivals etc. I wouldn't worry too much about condensation, if you're cooking you'll have the door or rooflight open and any overnight moisture soon evaporates once you open up in the morning. If you were using it year round or full-time it would warrant more attention. On my van I cover the windows at night with insulated covers I have wind deflectors on the front doors so we can keep the front windows down a couple of inches at night to get air in, there will be a bit of condensation on the front screen in the morning but as I say it soon goes, some people use the Karcher window vacs to clear it but it's not really been an issue for us.

We probably will use it in the winter but not got overnight sleeping - parking up by the beach after a dog walk and making a brew etc. Would that be an issue? 

8 hours ago, blutarsky said:

We probably will use it in the winter but not got overnight sleeping - parking up by the beach after a dog walk and making a brew etc. Would that be an issue? 

No more than using any vehicle in winter, if you're parked up it will steam up a bit but as soon as you are moving you'll have the heater and blower on and any damp air will soon disperse. On that note, when you are insulating the van make sure you don't block the vents, there will be some at the rear (on mine they are concealed behind the rear bumper at the sides).

• Upvote 1

Did I say I might turn that VW thing into the clock..... 

Anyway on a serious note and someone will tell you exactly what is what but to camp in the campers field and I'm sure this applies to alot of festivals YOU HAVE TO HAVE a bed not just a mattress on the floor,, a sink with running water and a toilet.. 

So you must bare this in mind... 

I hope this post helps ANYONE thinking of doing a van build. 

On 2/28/2021 at 8:29 AM, blutarsky said:

So, Mrs Blutarsky and I are pulling the trigger on a van in the very near future and I thought it might be a good idea to draw on the wisdom of the eFests hive mind to help us do so. I thought it would be a nice thread to have for all the van owners to share their set ups and how it works for them at Glasto and elsewhere. 

Apologies if it’s not appropriate Neil @eFestivals

Mrs B and I are now a trio with Mini-Blutarsky so decided it’s the right time to get one, to make Glastonbury a little more comfortable with a little one in tow. It’s also a lifestyle decision, as we live near the coast and would get good use out of a camper throughout the winter and even on weekday evenings. We’re fortunate to live in a beautiful part of the country. I’m also a teacher so we’re eyeing up six weeks of cruising Europe each summer. 

We’re settled on buying a panel van and converting it ourselves so we can configure it to our needs. Ideally we’re looking for a Mercedes Sprinter, VW Crafter or Fiat Ducato (which I know is the same as a Peugeot Boxer or Citroen Relay but Mrs B is prejudiced against French vehicles because she owned a crap 206 once). 

We want a LWB (want extra room as we want a shower for freedom camping), high roof (I can’t face having to stoop), low-mileage, good nick van. And the moon on a stick. 

With the market as it is at the moment we’re finding it a bit difficult. Frustratingly we had a Sprinter lined up through a friend of a friend who runs a greengrocers with a fleet of 12, but he’s had to keep it in service due to lockdown. 

We’ve got an eye on a few which are up for auction this evening, so hopefully we’ll have some success. 

I guess what I wanted to ask is whether there’s anything in particular we should look out for, ask about or know before buying? 

It’d also be great to hear what vans people have, how you’ve got them set up and any pearls of wisdom when it comes to converting. 

Fuck that shit man. Go for a T2.

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2021 at 11:17 AM, grumpyhack said:

I have to put in an alternative shout of considering a caravan.  A great deal more space for your money and the flexibility, once you've parked up, of just jumping into the car to explore the surrounding area. 

For me it's the 'Tenby Test.'  Tenby is a delightful beach resport in West Wales.  You go down in your motorhome/camper and set up at the caravan site, which is about three miles out of town.  You've unpacked and had a light meal and you fancy going into Tenby for the evening.

So, with a camper or a motorhome, you have to pack everything away and drive into Tenby town.  First problem are the low archways into the walled town.  You finally find the one high enough to get your vehicle under only to find that there isn't a parking space in the town big enough for your vehicle.  So you end up with a shrug and driving back to the campsite.

However, with a caravan, you arrive at the campsite, set up and then head off in your car.

Caravans require a lot less maintence, don't need an annual MoT and allow you to have a sensible car for every day use and things like popping out to the supermarket.

Or this. Don't believe the hate.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:49 PM, guypjfreak said:

VWs are crap sorry but it's true . Hitler wagons.... When they go wrong.. Which they do it costs a fortune..... BECAUSE THERE VWs

Go British 

Actually, scrap my above alignment to your caravan comment, unless you're taking the piss. Can't believe you're so pissed at 2149...

10 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Did I say I might turn that VW thing into the clock..... 

Anyway on a serious note and someone will tell you exactly what is what but to camp in the campers field and I'm sure this applies to alot of festivals YOU HAVE TO HAVE a bed not just a mattress on the floor,, a sink with running water and a toilet.. 

So you must bare this in mind... 

I hope this post helps ANYONE thinking of doing a van build. 

Doesn't need to have a toilet. Can't imagine many vans at festivals have them. Just a bed and fitted cooking or washing facilities

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Doesn't need to have a toilet. Can't imagine many vans at festivals have them. Just a bed and fitted cooking or washing facilities

Cheers old son I knew there was some sort of thing they had to have.. 

On 03/01/2021 at 10:10 AM, guypjfreak said:

... In the UK they hate you parking anywhere you don't have to pay the tight sods.. 

You should try Glastonbury (the town, not festival). There are for example, a couple of vans who have been at the base of the Tor since around April 2020. Been moved on for a day maybe twice.  Couple of vans on the side streets have been there (on and off) for what must be getting on 2 years now.  Kennard Moor Drove has dozens of vans that have been there for years - gardens and all.  Council did a "clean out" once there since 2016, but that is it.