Van crew - assemble

blutarsky

So, Mrs Blutarsky and I are pulling the trigger on a van in the very near future and I thought it might be a good idea to draw on the wisdom of the eFests hive mind to help us do so. I thought it would be a nice thread to have for all the van owners to share their set ups and how it works for them at Glasto and elsewhere. 

Apologies if it’s not appropriate Neil @eFestivals

Mrs B and I are now a trio with Mini-Blutarsky so decided it’s the right time to get one, to make Glastonbury a little more comfortable with a little one in tow. It’s also a lifestyle decision, as we live near the coast and would get good use out of a camper throughout the winter and even on weekday evenings. We’re fortunate to live in a beautiful part of the country. I’m also a teacher so we’re eyeing up six weeks of cruising Europe each summer. 

We’re settled on buying a panel van and converting it ourselves so we can configure it to our needs. Ideally we’re looking for a Mercedes Sprinter, VW Crafter or Fiat Ducato (which I know is the same as a Peugeot Boxer or Citroen Relay but Mrs B is prejudiced against French vehicles because she owned a crap 206 once). 

We want a LWB (want extra room as we want a shower for freedom camping), high roof (I can’t face having to stoop), low-mileage, good nick van. And the moon on a stick. 

With the market as it is at the moment we’re finding it a bit difficult. Frustratingly we had a Sprinter lined up through a friend of a friend who runs a greengrocers with a fleet of 12, but he’s had to keep it in service due to lockdown. 

We’ve got an eye on a few which are up for auction this evening, so hopefully we’ll have some success. 

I guess what I wanted to ask is whether there’s anything in particular we should look out for, ask about or know before buying? 

It’d also be great to hear what vans people have, how you’ve got them set up and any pearls of wisdom when it comes to converting. 

Old commercial vans tend to be sold when their ongoing maintenance costs start to become more than the vehicle is worth. The majority of used vans generally tend to be at the end of their working life so be prepared to spend a lot of time maintaining the vehicle and keeping it roadworthy.

Place where I used to work had a Crafter and it was notorious for breaking down. Also very wise advice to avoid French built vehicles as the lack of reliability around them is well known. They are also very difficult to maintain, even changing bulbs can become an expensive job due to how inaccessible the lights are on some of the vehicles. 

Don't get a VW if you want room,,, don't get a Bedford cf like mine if you want to get anywhere fast.. If building get a ldv or Ford... If buying straight off get a good talbot,,, Ford but if I had a choice and wasn't so in love with my Bedford cfs ....... I've had 6 over the last 25 years..... I'd get a hymer.... And for god sake make sure you have enough windows these new things are just beds on wheels with no character... That's my baby parked up in glastonbury camp site after the festival.. 

Edit.... Just a thought as well think of the hight.. With mine you can't sneak into the car parks but with a pop up basically you have a van.. Until the roof goes up and you got a camper.. All my other Beddies were pop ups and they are great also better on fuel a... See pic 

000009712827.Jpeg

P6271530.JPG

images.jpeg

Edited by guypjfreak
  • Upvote 1

I have to put in an alternative shout of considering a caravan.  A great deal more space for your money and the flexibility, once you've parked up, of just jumping into the car to explore the surrounding area. 

For me it's the 'Tenby Test.'  Tenby is a delightful beach resport in West Wales.  You go down in your motorhome/camper and set up at the caravan site, which is about three miles out of town.  You've unpacked and had a light meal and you fancy going into Tenby for the evening.

So, with a camper or a motorhome, you have to pack everything away and drive into Tenby town.  First problem are the low archways into the walled town.  You finally find the one high enough to get your vehicle under only to find that there isn't a parking space in the town big enough for your vehicle.  So you end up with a shrug and driving back to the campsite.

However, with a caravan, you arrive at the campsite, set up and then head off in your car.

Caravans require a lot less maintence, don't need an annual MoT and allow you to have a sensible car for every day use and things like popping out to the supermarket.

So on the same theme, I've been thinking of going down the campervan/caravan route. As I'm a solo traveller I didn't want anything too big and would struggle to justify the expense of a second vehicle just for going off to festivals. I've been looking at conversion kits for small MPVs e.g. Citroen Berlingo, Fiat Doblo, Ford Connect. These kits can be slid in and out leaving the vehicle free for normal use the rest of the time. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience of these and opinions on would they meet the Glastonbury campervan criteria (MUST have purpose-built fitted sleeping facilities and either fitted cooking or washing facilities.)? I would say that the sleeping facilities are fitted and it has cooking facilities but I'm not sure how rigorously Glastonbury enforce the rules. It would also have an awning at the rear.

Fiat-Doblo-Solo-1.jpg

Solo-Micro-Camper-1.jpg

kampa-travel-pod-tailgater-rear-micro-camper-awning-000-600x600.jpg

Converted an old ford transit hicube minibus in 2015.

Blogged the whole process, might give you some ideas.

http://trademarkmobile.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-beginning.html

Used it for a year or so then upgraded to a coach built motorhome that we now live in full time for 2 years now.

Edited by Paul ™
Typo
  • Upvote 2

You should be aware the DVLA have recently changed their rules on classification for campervan/motorhome, they are now pretty strict on what you have to have in place before they will change the registration from van to live in vehicle. You don't have to apply for the change of vehicle type if you don't want, but the insurance on a van will be a fair bit higher. There are plenty of sites and Youtubers covering this so it should be easy to check on what you need to do.

6 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

So on the same theme, I've been thinking of going down the campervan/caravan route. As I'm a solo traveller I didn't want anything too big and would struggle to justify the expense of a second vehicle just for going off to festivals. I've been looking at conversion kits for small MPVs e.g. Citroen Berlingo, Fiat Doblo, Ford Connect. These kits can be slid in and out leaving the vehicle free for normal use the rest of the time. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience of these and opinions on would they meet the Glastonbury campervan criteria (MUST have purpose-built fitted sleeping facilities and either fitted cooking or washing facilities.)? I would say that the sleeping facilities are fitted and it has cooking facilities but I'm not sure how rigorously Glastonbury enforce the rules. It would also have an awning at the rear.

Fiat-Doblo-Solo-1.jpg

Solo-Micro-Camper-1.jpg

kampa-travel-pod-tailgater-rear-micro-camper-awning-000-600x600.jpg

You'll be fine for Glastonbury, I use a NV200 with removable bits, if it's a smaller vehicle they will probably want to have a look inside, as long as it looks like a campervan I.E. they can see a bed sink etc. they're happy.

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Don't get a VW if you want room

I've had 3 old design Transporter size (2 bays and a T25) and I have to agree. If you've got the space to park it then the crafter/sprinter size is the way to go, though at almost 7m long, the LWB version is getting close to the maximum length some festivals allocate for live in vehicles (BT for example is 7m). I go to the campervan shows a lot and the modern VW Transporters conversions have even less space than my old T25 (like for like wheelbase). 

If you are organised, the transporter size can work for 2, but once DVB jnr came along its much longer process to organise and having a large awning has become essential. As a Glastonbury/festival solution its still ok but I am going to change the pop top for a longer one to give a decent sleeping space in the roof.

A mate who has had LT35 campers in the past now has owns a LWB high top Vivaro solution. I think he finds it a good compromise between the length of the bigger vans and the relative lack of space in the smaller VWs.

42 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

However, with a caravan, you arrive at the campsite, set up and then head off in your car.

Caravans require a lot less maintence, don't need an annual MoT and allow you to have a sensible car for every day use and things like popping out to the supermarket.

This really. I love my camper and I dislike caravans, but if I wasn't so bloody minded a caravan would have saved lots of time, money and skinned knuckles over the years.

camper.jpg

50 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

You should be aware the DVLA have recently changed their rules on classification for campervan/motorhome, they are now pretty strict on what you have to have in place before they will change the registration from van to live in vehicle. You don't have to apply for the change of vehicle type if you don't want, but the insurance on a van will be a fair bit higher. There are plenty of sites and Youtubers covering this so it should be easy to check on what you need to do.

Not really looked into it as mine met the criteria for classification as a camper(wouldn't now though I don't think) but I think some of the camper insurance companies are starting to do sort of "halfway" policies that recognise the fact it's converted, just not got the class change

As mine is DVLA registered as motor caravan and with a limited millage policy (2000 PA) the insurance is approx £100 this year. I couldn't have got that particular policy or anywhere near that pricewise  on my particular camper if it was just registered as a van.

I've had friends use insurance companies like Adrian Flux for campers they were slowly self-converting and not re-registering as they seem happy to provide cover on that basis (disclaimer - I've not used them myself, can't say if they are good or bad).

I'd also recommend joining the Caravan and Motorhome Club.  They've got some excellent sites and you get good discounts on things like insurance and the RAC Arrival scheme.  I was an AA member for years until I had a breakdown with my old trailer tent.  The AA's response was 'tough we don't do trailers or caravans'.  I changed to the RAC through the Caravan Club and haven't had any problems.

I find membership particularly helpful for the Wychwood Festival at Cheltenham Racecourse.  The Caravan and Motorhome Club have a site alongside the Racecourse, so I go up the night before the festival and stay at their site.  That way I can charge up my leisure battery, fill all my water containers and empty the waste.  Then, the next morning when the festival opens it's a short trundle down to check in and get set up on site.

Really useful thread!!! A bit like @blutarsky Im liooking to buy a campervan!!! What i wud love is an Automatic T4 SWB as im not the most confident of drivers so dont want to go to big!!! But they are like gold dust to find at a reasonable price!! I do like the idea of the tent coming out the back of car idea!! Thanks for all the useful ideas!! 👍🏻

21 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

A mate of mine who runs the second hand caravan place where I bought mine is now increasingly switching to campers and motorhomes.  He reckons they are flying out as fast as he can get hold of them.

gonna be a summer of domestic travel ... people are preparing for that 

5 hours ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

I've had 3 old design Transporter size (2 bays and a T25) and I have to agree. If you've got the space to park it then the crafter/sprinter size is the way to go, though at almost 7m long, the LWB version is getting close to the maximum length some festivals allocate for live in vehicles (BT for example is 7m). I go to the campervan shows a lot and the modern VW Transporters conversions have even less space than my old T25 (like for like wheelbase). 

If you are organised, the transporter size can work for 2, but once DVB jnr came along its much longer process to organise and having a large awning has become essential. As a Glastonbury/festival solution its still ok but I am going to change the pop top for a longer one to give a decent sleeping space in the roof.

A mate who has had LT35 campers in the past now has owns a LWB high top Vivaro solution. I think he finds it a good compromise between the length of the bigger vans and the relative lack of space in the smaller VWs.

This really. I love my camper and I dislike caravans, but if I wasn't so bloody minded a caravan would have saved lots of time, money and skinned knuckles over the years.

camper.jpg

Yeah...but look how cool the VW looks 😍 nothing can replace the joy of driving/owning one for me - despite the functionality and maintenance issues! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ModernMan said:

Yeah...but look how cool the VW looks 😍 nothing can replace the joy of driving/owning one for me - despite the functionality and maintenance issues! 

VWs are crap sorry but it's true . Hitler wagons.... When they go wrong.. Which they do it costs a fortune..... BECAUSE THERE VWs

Go British 

Didn't manage to get a van at auction last night. There were two that went beyond our budget, one that we spotted some damage on we hadn't noticed when first browsing, which meant we weren't so keen on it and the fourth we were watching didn't have the mileage listed - we'd emailed asking for it but got no response. 

The hunt goes on.

3 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Didn't manage to get a van at auction last night. There were two that went beyond our budget, one that we spotted some damage on we hadn't noticed when first browsing, which meant we weren't so keen on it and the fourth we were watching didn't have the mileage listed - we'd emailed asking for it but got no response. 

The hunt goes on.

Keep at it old son.. Change your life... Its great to be able to go back to your wagon and if you have an awning sit down relax have a cider... 

I've been over France a few times and it's great cos they have things called Aires.. Anyway there just free places for you to park up for the night... UNFORTUNATELY the UK don't have these And UNFORTUNATELY all the European countries have now banned all wild camping which was another good thing on the continent.. In the UK they hate you parking anywhere you don't have to pay the tight sods.. 

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Keep at it old son.. Change your life... Its great to be able to go back to your wagon and if you have an awning sit down relax have a cider... 

I've been over France a few times and it's great cos they have things called Aires.. Anyway there just free places for you to park up for the night... UNFORTUNATELY the UK don't have these And UNFORTUNATELY all the European countries have now banned all wild camping which was another good thing on the continent.. In the UK they hate you parking anywhere you don't have to pay the tight sods.. 

Eye on a Peugeot Boxer now - need Mrs B to agree and try to swing the seller down by a couple of hundred quid. 

This van has a tail lift which is putting people off buying apparently. I'm tempted to buy it, remove the tail lift and sell it on eBay to hopefully make a few hundred quid back. Next-door neighbour is a commercial mechanic and happy to help so seems pretty feasible. Any cons you can think of? 

Anyone in Leicestershire? 

Edited by blutarsky

5 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Have you looked at the Mazda Bongo Friendee?  I know they're not made any more but they have a keen following.  And they're 4WD which might help in a muddy festival field.

Too small for us - we're trying to future proof and make sure we have a vehicle capable of accommodating a family of 4, plus perhaps the kids' friends.

They're also waaaay out of our league budget wise!

Edited by blutarsky