New arena layout with two main stages - Reading

Benj

3 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I think Radio 1 Stage has been binned. 

Hopefully some of the acts that were booked to play that stage last year have managed to fit in somewhere else (Rex, Wallows, Joy Crookes, Sam Fender, Easy Life, Inhaler, Idles, Fontaines DC) they were some of the acts i was most looking forward to and if they haven't been rebooked then that's a heavy loss

20 minutes ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

Hopefully some of the acts that were booked to play that stage last year have managed to fit in somewhere else (Rex, Wallows, Joy Crookes, Sam Fender, Easy Life, Inhaler, Idles, Fontaines DC) they were some of the acts i was most looking forward to and if they haven't been rebooked then that's a heavy loss

Agreed, especially Sam Fender. I’ll be upset if the R1 stage goes, I really liked it.

Thinking about it, for 6 headliners sacrifices have to be made. I imagine some of the acts on the R1 cost a pretty penny so to get 6 decently sized headliners is probably why they’ve got rid of it as well as the logistics side 

4 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

What makes you think that?

Two reasons:

I can't envisage Reading's arena fitting two Main Stages as well as it's usual ones. I don't see where that space comes from.

The Dance Stage is going to be there: Solardo and MK. I think the FR will be, with Girl In Red and Beabadoobee. The Pit/Lock-Up is there - Gallows, Fever 333, Hot Milk will play there. 1xtra too, probably with Dreya Mac and maybe KSI. 

I might be way off. I hope so. As@OnlyRevolutionssays, some exciting bookings for that stage last year.

Two Main Stages may be a strategy to get attendees in the arena earlier.

R&L may want their attendees in the arena earlier, spending cash. The Radio 1 tent is usually pretty quiet until 16:00 onwards. The first three or four acts could take a sideways step into a slot later in the day on another stage. Then the acts who'd be playing later on Radio 1 could be enticed into play earlier on a Main Stage. If Brockhampton had played MSE at 13:00, rather than 16:00 on Radio 1, you'd have more people getting into the arena earlier, paying the ridiculous prices for a Tuborg or whatever. It can't be preferable for those opening Radio 1 acts to play to a tiny crowd in a massive tent either.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

That was pretty poorly explained but yeah. 

I think we'll be short changed with less acts if I've guessed correctly. But who cares really. Party of the summer.

No I think it was a good explanation, I definitely got what you were saying.

However, I’m inclined to disagree more out of hope than anything! Either way, party of the summer!

Perhaps the R1 tent will just finish earlier, before the 2nd headliner or maybe even both headliners. That would save them a lot of money while getting people into the arena even earlier to see the R1 'headliner'

Could it be possible that they keep all the stages but there is a tent near/next to one of the main stages e.g. dance stage and acts only play that stage while there is no one playing on the nearest main stage. So the acts alternate like on the main stages to avoid sound clashes. 

They'll need something to suck up some of the crowd from the headline sets though, otherwise it will be utterly mobbed, potentially perilously so in the smaller tents if the only alternative is someone you have little interest in.

Loads of the kids wont give an eff about Liam Gallagher will they, so the Dance tent could be utterly mobbed when he's on

33 minutes ago, Benj said:

They'll need something to suck up some of the crowd from the headline sets though, otherwise it will be utterly mobbed, potentially perilously so in the smaller tents if the only alternative is someone you have little interest in.

Loads of the kids wont give an eff about Liam Gallagher will they, so the Dance tent could be utterly mobbed when he's on

Is it possible they make the dance tent the same size as the Radio 1 though? Not sure how popular it is. 

42 minutes ago, Benj said:

Liam Gallagher will get one of the biggest crowds of the entire weekend. Both he and Oasis are absolutely massive with R&L’s young audience. 

2 hours ago, Benj said:

Liam / Oasis are huge with teens

It's definetly possible that the R1 finishes earlier. I reckon they could have a differential to the second headliner as an r1 headliner. Lets be honest Disclosure, Catfish and Queens won't attract a crowd as big as the other three. It would make sense for an artist of a different genre to headline the r1 stage as they play

5 minutes ago, stanh said:

might get some hate for this; but as huge and popular both LG and Oasis are with teens and the general R&L crowd, I still think out of the headliners this year him and QOTSA will get the smallest crowds out of the others (yes, including Disclosure) - this isnt anything against them, i just think there will still be a fair bit of demand for a different option; and if let's say MK is against LG, the dance stage will be absolutely rammed imo.

and as much as Disclosure do kinda look out of place as a headliner, i am convinced they will get a pretty big crowd

In a normal year I'd potentially agree, but we don't really know who actually got tickets, it could be a completely different crowd. I however agree with Queens being the least popular

8 minutes ago, Dave-Bboard said:

It's definetly possible that the R1 finishes earlier. I reckon they could have a differential to the second headliner as an r1 headliner. Lets be honest Disclosure, Catfish and Queens won't attract a crowd as big as the other three. It would make sense for an artist of a different genre to headline the r1 stage as they play

If there is an R1, which is very very unlikely. The space is the problem, not the clashes or bagging a decent lineup, there's literally no physical space to expand at Reading without getting licensing for a new field to move a campsite.

2 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

In a normal year I'd potentially agree, but we don't really know who actually got tickets, it could be a completely different crowd. I however agree with Queens being the least popular

If there is an R1, which is very very unlikely. The space is the problem, not the clashes or bagging a decent lineup, there's literally no physical space to expand at Reading without getting licensing for a new field to move a campsite.

I agree, you also have to consider how that is the most likely stage to leave as well

5 minutes ago, stanh said:

id imagine it'll be a fairly similar crowd as per usual, i reckon there will be a couple more creamfields regulars as well who missed out on tickets for that; and potentially a slightly younger crowd as from what ive seen R+L has become a tiktok trend (?? apparently) - i guess time will tell though!

I think any live music performances at festivals have become Tik Tok trends really, not just R&L. But yh maybe that’s fair enough, there probably won’t be as mush disparity to the usual crowd as I expected 

10 minutes ago, stanh said:

id imagine it'll be a fairly similar crowd as per usual, i reckon there will be a couple more creamfields regulars as well who missed out on tickets for that; and potentially a slightly younger crowd as from what ive seen R+L has become a tiktok trend (?? apparently) - i guess time will tell though!

3 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I think any live music performances at festivals have become Tik Tok trends really, not just R&L. But yh maybe that’s fair enough, there probably won’t be as mush disparity to the usual crowd as I expected 

I think there could be a few more older people than the usual really young crowd as I'm going for the whole weekend for the first time since 2014 and I'm 28. Our groups ages range from 25-28. I think due to the festivals being so in demand due to covid-19 and some of the line-up already being released the remaining tickets could've gone to all age ranges and people not wanting to miss out of the festival experience this year.

13 minutes ago, foolee said:

I think there could be a few more older people than the usual really young crowd as I'm going for the whole weekend for the first time since 2014 and I'm 28. Our groups ages range from 25-28. I think due to the festivals being so in demand due to covid-19 and some of the line-up already being released the remaining tickets could've gone to all age ranges and people not wanting to miss out of the festival experience this year.

I was thinking that the overall age of attendees might be a little higer because of how quickly it sold out and generally the older you get, the more savings/disposable income you have compared to teenagers.

We’ve got a group of 15 going (9 full weekend, 6 day tickets) and our age range is 24-31.

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, stanh said:

yeah you both have very valid points, pretty much all my mates who i was wanting to go with managed tickets (18-20 age range). might be more mixed than usual then? very interested to see for sure come summer

Yeah there's about 15 of us all 18 come August, to be honest i'm not bothered about age that much I just want more chilled out people there. I don't mean drugs and stuff but I mean robbing tents, fights etc. 

4 hours ago, foolee said:

Aye, kids waiting on parents to get together to buy tickets may have missed out.

That said my 17 year old niece got tickets...