New arena layout with two main stages - Reading

Benj

Where do people think the new 'main stage' will go?? 

All the below is on the huge assumption, that capacity remains as is/ will increase somewhat and no other stages are lost.

Here is the current layout (2019). Assuming no loss of stages its hard to imagine the additional stage could fit in anywhere, so the only real option would be losing the second stage (tent), even then would there be enough room for another outdoor stage there on a scale similar to the current main stage?? Hard to imagine without also losing the dance stage

Reading Map 2019.png

An option without infringing on the current camp site would be to extend the arena behind where the second stage currently sits, resituating the One Extra and Cabaret tent there, and having a second mainstage up where they used to be. A new entrance from the camping could go in where the One Extra etc have been moved to, replacing 2019s entrance that would now sit behind the 'Main Stage West'

Reading Map alt option.png

1 minute ago, Benj said:

An option without infringing on the current camp site would be to extend the arena behind where the second stage currently sits, resituating the One Extra and Cabaret tent there, and having a second mainstage up where they used to be. A new entrance from the camping could go in where the One Extra etc have been moved to, replacing 2019s entrance that would now sit behind the 'Main Stage West'

Reading Map alt option.png

That seems like a perfect solution tbh. I don't know the permissions the festival has, but I can't see the use of that field being a problem? Nice suggestion

Another option, you'd assume they'd only go for if they had more capacity would be to extend into the campsite, creating a whole new, larger section of arena that would allow them to spread everything out more, maybe have a larger dance tent

The Orange camping and adidtional white could be created to replace/ increase upon the lost capacity

Reading Map large option.png

They’ll either be side by side or facing each other. The whole point in having two stages (like lots of Euro festivals) is so one band can set up and another start in quickly succession. There would be no point having no clashes and maximising the amount of Main Stage acts punters can see to then have the stages either ends of an arena. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

They’ll either be side by side or facing each other. The whole point in having two stages (like lots of Euro festivals) is so one band can set up and another start in quickly succession. There would be no point having no clashes and maximising the amount of Main Stage acts punters can see to then have the stages either ends of an arena. 

They aren't next to each other because of the East/West thing is assuming they don't move the current main stage (which seems unlikely given the ground is shaped perfectly downwards for a main stage)

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

So another main stage around where the stalls are currently if its to be an east and west stage? I feel like that would be a logistical nightmare with people needing to walk round it

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

They aren't next to each other because of the East/West thing is assuming they don't move the current main stage (which seems unlikely given the ground is shaped perfectly downwards for a main stage)

This was mentioned before. If two stages are literally side by side, that is Easy and West on a compass. 

I really can’t see them having two Main Stages at either ends of the arena. People would be walking back and forth all day. Congestion would be unfathomable. 

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

This was mentioned before. If two stages are literally side by side, that is Easy and West on a compass. 

I really can’t see them having two Main Stages at either ends of the arena. People would be walking back and forth all day. Congestion would be unfathomable. 

Side by side would make them north and south, no?

5 minutes ago, stanh said:

if it is like that, will be interested to see how they control the crowds to stop there being a stampede between stages

With a fenced off pen at each end, I feel like the people desperate to get to the front will be funneled round the sides rather than crushing everyone in the middle, while the rest of the crowd can turn round and make their way towards the other stage. But that is very wishful thinking haha

5 minutes ago, stanh said:

if it is like that, will be interested to see how they control the crowds to stop there being a stampede between stages

I should think there will be barriers like there is with the Main Stage usually, just at either end. They’re not just going to have a wide, open space between the two stages as it would, as you’ve said, cause a stampede. It’ll be cool, it’ll be well thought out. 

38 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

If they are facing each other,when fully busy

39 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

If they are facing each other, assuming no other changes to the arena, I think it will deffo be sayonara to the second stage, with the dance tent moving down where that is

They could potentially move it up to where the One extra is and maybe squeeze those in with the the dance stage down where the second stage used to be. 

The interesting thing if it is face to face, is what will it be like behind it!

33 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

xBv6oac.png

Reading posted this in a video a few months ago

forgot about this whoops - guessing they wont be anywhere near this close together. also no sound tower, i wonder if the speakers of both stages will be used for the act playing 1 stage.

A very obv scale may not quite be right! mock up of what a back to back could look like  assuming both stages are the same size as now.

Dance tent would move to second stage, second stage would disappear? Second stage become Dance/ second stage hybrid?

Access from Main stage east to second stage area would be an utter bitch, as would second stage over to the FR/ Lock up

Reading aerial back to back.png

6 minutes ago, Benj said:

A closer single sound tower option, that would allow more of the just turn round type of thing

Reading aerial back to back-close.png

these mockups are sick mate, the second one seems more logical for space efficiency, opens up the access to the tent on the right. It would be a shame to lose the R1 though, I feel like there are always some really great future headliners in there 😕

25 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Is there one single person who would prefer 2 main stages and no radio one tent, over 1 main stage and keeping the radio one tent? I thought not. 

Me. I’ve always looked at European festivals with two Main Stages with a bit of jealousy because it’s not something we tend to have over here. Slam Dunk have recently introduced side by side / end to end stages and they work brilliantly but there’s nothing on the scale of R&L with two Main Stages over here. I’m really looking forward to it. After 10 years of gong to Leeds, I’m welcoming a bit of a radical change. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Quorn said:

That seems like a perfect solution tbh. I don't know the permissions the festival has, but I can't see the use of that field being a problem? Nice suggestion

That field is full of staff and contactor camping (see last image above)