Boomtown Chapter 1: The Gathering

Jp2021

29 minutes ago, stuie said:

I'm against control and government, especially at parties. 

I have several methods of payment available to me and I don't need a fake bank to control or hold my money. 

Have a good festival. 

Watch out for that machine! 

Totally agree.

Shame, as Boomtown lineup is usually right up my street as they say, but this is just another reason not to bother.

8 minutes ago, Hawky93 said:

Keep up with the times, ya dinosaur. 

final point on this... look at the state of this forum and Facebook.

for weeks now, it's just been masses of people trying to sell their tickets before the line up is announced.

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

final point on this... look at the state of this forum and Facebook.

for weeks now, it's just been masses of people trying to sell their tickets before the line up is announced.

Don’t talk about the Machine whilst admitting to having FB in the same breath.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stuie said:

There's no reason why people in vans shouldn't use gas stoves.  They have paid for this privilege. 

Boomtown is fucked.  It's so far removed from what it used to be.  Top up the fake Boomtown Bank to buy expensive food and you can't even cook your own in your camper. 

They are gonna struggle next year. 

What has changed?

To your argument, it seems to be quite an overreaction to one aspect which is pretty simply health and safety, surely? And then there's a number of festivals going 'cashless'. You get any unspent cash back at the end - what's the big deal......

5 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

What has changed?

To your argument, it seems to be quite an overreaction to one aspect which is pretty simply health and safety, surely? And then there's a number of festivals going 'cashless'. You get any unspent cash back at the end - what's the big deal......

Cooking facilities in campervans are safe.  It's either an overreaction or a money making scheme. 

I don't have an issue with 'cashless' festivals - there's existing options for cashless payments, without inventing a new one designed to control and take more money from the traders. 

It's a bit annoying but I think the reason they've given is that it's more reliable than WiFi for payments (i.e. the WiFi the card machines need to access to facilitate successful payments).  I remember at Reading last year, and Glastonbury this year, there were times when the WiFi was so bad that traders had to resort to cash payments, so I think it's more of a stability thing than anything else.  Although I've not seen good things (maybe here or on Reddit) about trying to get leftover cash back once the weekend is over.  

Definitely a lot of tickets seemingly going unused but think that is more down to the typically younger Boomtown demographic x severe lack of hype with no line up/no festival from last 2 years to look back on.

It might hit the festival in the pocket a bit but I'm sure no one is going to complain about a couple of thousand less in the Downtown area.

I think a lot of the tickets for sale are from people who have rolled over their tickets from 2020. That's over 2 years ago, so there's bound to be a lot of people who would have changed circumstances or perhaps have just decided to not go.

That being said, if Boomtown don't nail this years festival, it'll be very tough for them next year. However, every festival is only one bad festival away from struggling, so this isn't anything new.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mjfromthelane said:

Definitely a lot of tickets seemingly going unused but think that is more down to the typically younger Boomtown demographic x severe lack of hype with no line up/no festival from last 2 years to look back on.

It might hit the festival in the pocket a bit but I'm sure no one is going to complain about a couple of thousand less in the Downtown area.

People reselling their tixs seems to be quite common this year, lots of festivals not just Boomtown have rolled over tickets so people are changing thier minds two years later as well as some people are still worried about covid and the heat.

3 hours ago, stuie said:

I can pay just fine using my apple wallet thanks. 

• Rages against centralised payment systems
  • Uses apple wallet

To be fair, I'm not exactly a fan of it either. But it's also not a deal breaker, it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I'll give it a go. I had some pretty abysmal experiences this year trying to pay for things at festivals using contactless, so happy to try it out and see if it works any better.

The team have already said they won't bring it back next year if it doesn't work, and people don't like. They have been to other festivals in Europe introduced it, and it was well received. Seems to be a bit of Brit thing to dislike these payment systems, people were also quite slow to use cards in the pub in this country, preferring cash for nights out. Same same.

• Upvote 1

As I recall, in 2016 no one was cooking in their cars and yet a whole load of them went up in flames. I understand people's frustration at being restricted from doing what they want to but it's very selfish to say "I am prepared to risk it," when you're not just taking that risk for yourself.

And if the food you get to eat is your big priority, why aren't you going to the Feastival thing with Alex James? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sku said:
  • Rages against centralised payment systems
  • Uses apple wallet

To be fair, I'm not exactly a fan of it either. But it's also not a deal breaker, it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I'll give it a go. I had some pretty abysmal experiences this year trying to pay for things at festivals using contactless, so happy to try it out and see if it works any better.

The team have already said they won't bring it back next year if it doesn't work, and people don't like. They have been to other festivals in Europe introduced it, and it was well received. Seems to be a bit of Brit thing to dislike these payment systems, people were also quite slow to use cards in the pub in this country, preferring cash for nights out. Same same.

Apple don’t hold my money, my banks do. And I am in control of it. Apple gives me the security of facial recognition being required to access my money. 

if someone steals my phone they can’t get my money but if someone steals my wristband they can. 

I also have visibility of what I’ve spent on each transaction but the wristband won’t tell me that whether its been scanned for five drinks or one.

i’m not the only one that thinks that the wheel doesn’t need to be reinvented… this level of control just leaves a bad taste. If there is a problem with Wi-Fi or 5G to process card transactions and make that better you don’t need to invent a whole new system. 

30 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

As I recall, in 2016 no one was cooking in their cars and yet a whole load of them went up in flames. I understand people's frustration at being restricted from doing what they want to but it's very selfish to say "I am prepared to risk it," when you're not just taking that risk for yourself.

And if the food you get to eat is your big priority, why aren't you going to the Feastival thing with Alex James? 

I think its bonkers people kick off about this stuff given the circumstance, it just reaks of an entitlement that I'm fed up of these days...

If you don't like it, don't fucking go.... It's a private event ffs.

Surely this stove ban can't include fixed cookers within lie-in vehicles. 

A large percentage of crew and stallholders that I know from various festivals cook nearly all their meals and make nearly all their hot drinks at "home".

They'll seriously kick off

Edited by Skip997

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Surely this stove ban can't include fixed cookers within lie-in vehicles. 

A large percentage of crew and stallholders that I know from various festivals cook nearly all their meals and make nearly all their hot drinks at "home".

They'll seriously kick off

It's only 'ground level' flames affected I'm told. 

8 hours ago, stuie said:

There's no reason why people in vans shouldn't use gas stoves.  They have paid for this privilege. 

Boomtown is fucked.  It's so far removed from what it used to be.  Top up the fake Boomtown Bank to buy expensive food and you can't even cook your own in your camper. 

They are gonna struggle next year. 

Yeah it is. Its a lot better than it used to be.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry3 said:

Yeah it is. Its a lot better than it used to be.

Yeah pretty much this.

Boomtown was a lot of fun in the old days. But it was also amateur hour back then with a lot of infrastructure issues, and pretty basic set designd.

Boomtown is pretty much world class now when it comes to production quality, and infrastructure provision.

• Upvote 1