Boomtown Chapter 1: The Gathering

Jp2021

18 hours ago, Harry3 said:

I think I had assumed that when they said they were moving everything to the bowl again, they were also halving the capacity, but recently Ive read that the capacity will still be around ~60,000 including crew. That seems like a huge number of people to squeeze into the bowl? Wont sound bleed between stages be an issue?

15 minutes ago, Supermerv said:

Where did you read that? 

On their FAQ theres these two bits (my bold edit):

Are you reducing the size and capacity?

Yes! There will be less than half the tickets available for Boomtown 2022, mainly due to the amount that have rolled over from 2020, but also due to reducing the numbers in attendance slightly. The festival perimeter is shifting and the main ‘City’ and its unique districts will all be located in what has previously been known as ‘Downtown Boomtown’. For the first time, we are using absolutely every inch of the Downtown valley area to produce the most detailed, creative festival city we’ve ever dreamed up. 

If the footprint is smaller, will there be enough space for everyone?

Yes. Over the last few months we have explored the parts of the Downtown Valley area that we have not previously used in great detail. It has meant that we have been able to redesign the site utilising areas of what was once wasted space. We have changed the flow of the site layout, and created chill out spaces that allow you to break away from the main hustle and bustle and have moved all camping to surround the city.  Check out the update on camping locations here

So less than half the tickets for 2022 were on sale, but only due to rolled over tickets, so thats half of the original capacity of 77,000, which is maybe like 25,000. Plus rolled over tickets. Plus their usage of the word "slightly". Leads me to believe capacity will be 50-60,000 still?

9 minutes ago, Harry3 said:

On their FAQ theres these two bits (my bold edit):

Are you reducing the size and capacity?

Yes! There will be less than half the tickets available for Boomtown 2022, mainly due to the amount that have rolled over from 2020, but also due to reducing the numbers in attendance slightly. The festival perimeter is shifting and the main ‘City’ and its unique districts will all be located in what has previously been known as ‘Downtown Boomtown’. For the first time, we are using absolutely every inch of the Downtown valley area to produce the most detailed, creative festival city we’ve ever dreamed up. 

If the footprint is smaller, will there be enough space for everyone?

Yes. Over the last few months we have explored the parts of the Downtown Valley area that we have not previously used in great detail. It has meant that we have been able to redesign the site utilising areas of what was once wasted space. We have changed the flow of the site layout, and created chill out spaces that allow you to break away from the main hustle and bustle and have moved all camping to surround the city.  Check out the update on camping locations here

So less than half the tickets for 2022 were on sale, but only due to rolled over tickets, so thats half of the original capacity of 77,000, which is maybe like 25,000. Plus rolled over tickets. Plus their usage of the word "slightly". Leads me to believe capacity will be 50-60,000 still?

Sounds like a reasonable assumption, seems like a lot of people in quite a small area.

With regards to capacity, see info from a trustworthy source below. However this information was from a fair few months ago. It appears they might not have sold the full allocation of 46k in the end, as they are now seeking more volunteers instead.

just a heads up that we will have 46k public and 15k or so crew or thereabouts for the next year - so about 60k which is down from the usual 66k it has been the last few years! we will then build up around 3000 per year for 4 years into our new licence so we can always bring a more exciting show each year!

That's the plan anyway haha

Edited by Sku

10 hours ago, Sku said:

With regards to capacity, see info from a trustworthy source below. However this information was from a fair few months ago. It appears they might not have sold the full allocation of 46k in the end, as they are now seeking more volunteers instead.

Slight reduction in capacity then, I dont really understand why they'd be looking for more volunteers after selling less tickets? 

The bowl is actually a huge area when used to it's full capacity. Homelands used to only use the bowl and had 8 arenas and capacity of 50000 and it never felt over crowded, or suffered from sound bleed. Boomtown has the whole bowl and forest areas as well, so are using way more space than Homelands ever did. Camping is outside of the bowl, so I think space won't be an issue.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Supermerv said:

Slight reduction in capacity then, I dont really understand why they'd be looking for more volunteers after selling less tickets? 

Volunteers are in short supply this festival season. If you stop selling tickets, you can encourage people who still want to come to fill volunteer roles.

52 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

Anyone know if there is a way to still grab a car park ticket? They seemed to exclusively advertise the deadline through social media and it was during Glasto week...

They are £40 cash payment on the door. I missed the deadline too!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sku said:

Volunteers are in short supply this festival season. If you stop selling tickets, you can encourage people who still want to come to fill volunteer roles.

Makes sense, I'm surprised festivals are short of volunteers, I'd have thought that more people would be keen to volunteer rather than paying for a ticket as a result of the cost-of-living crisis. 

1 hour ago, Harry3 said:

My partner and I volunteered with MyCause in 2019 and had a great time, the volunteer campsites were so good. But shes an EU citizen, so guess what.. she cant volunteer this time! The gift that keeps on giving.

Without knowing her specific legal situation, she might be able to volunteer for other groups still.

People in the UK under a Standard Visitor Visa (or equivalent terms) are able to volunteer for up to 30 days for a registered charity, as long as their volunteering isn't the primary reason for the visit to the country. Oxfam is certainly able to accept EU/US/other citizens, on the understanding that the person ensures their own compliance with those conditions, whereas some other groups can't.

5 hours ago, incident said:

Without knowing her specific legal situation, she might be able to volunteer for other groups still.

People in the UK under a Standard Visitor Visa (or equivalent terms) are able to volunteer for up to 30 days for a registered charity, as long as their volunteering isn't the primary reason for the visit to the country. Oxfam is certainly able to accept EU/US/other citizens, on the understanding that the person ensures their own compliance with those conditions, whereas some other groups can't.

My understanding is volunteering for festivals is "Voluntary Work" rather than "Volunteering", the former requiring you to be in certain places at certain times and receiving something in return. MyCause dont accept any EU citizens without a residency visa but interesting that Oxfam does.

Anywho, we're going to be in the Quiet Camping but will sorely miss the hot water boiler, showers and clean toilets!

15 hours ago, Harry3 said:

My understanding is volunteering for festivals is "Voluntary Work" rather than "Volunteering", the former requiring you to be in certain places at certain times and receiving something in return. MyCause dont accept any EU citizens without a residency visa but interesting that Oxfam does.

Anywho, we're going to be in the Quiet Camping but will sorely miss the hot water boiler, showers and clean toilets!

The short version is that Oxfam are a Charity, whereas MyCause technically aren't - so the rules they have to adhere to are different.

The government specifically use "UK-registered Charity" as the requirement for people on the standard visitor terms.

21 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Got the festival fever from glasto, how does this compare?

Decent people generally?

Good nightlife?

This year is going through some changes but my past experiences with it have been fantastic, probably my favourite fest even if I'm not going this year. Good people, there's stages run into late into the night, loads of different genres, atmosphere is amazing, you will discover loads of new music, good food and drink options etc.

The best tip I can give you is thinking of it as a free flowing overall experience and don't focus in too much on following a clashfinder as you will discover and enjoy yourself so much more that way.

19 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Got the festival fever from glasto, how does this compare?

Decent people generally?

Good nightlife?

As jump said, this year is a bit of an unknown, but Boomtowns attention to detail and theatrical stuff in the past isnt really matched by any other festival. Theres so many weird side venues to explore and get dragged into (rubbing slime on each other with a bunch of people dressed as slugs, or my partner being led off by robed priestesses where I think she was shut in a coffin and "reborn"?) Its like SE Corner: The Festival, but more varied. People can be more on the younger, roadman, bucket-hat-wearing side, but its also easy to avoid them by going to the non-dnb areas, and Ive never seen any trouble, the atmosphere is always very positive. I think its only gotten better since it started.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 10:52 AM, Sku said:

if you stop selling tickets you know what the income is, so can then budget spending just-that-income-and-nothing-more, so shouldn't run at a loss.

14 hours ago, Sku said:

Seems the map is coming this Friday

Nice. Feel like they need to start giving us some tangible bits as there is little to get excited about at the moment. A lot of my group are still assuming the line up is going to be a disappointment because of the last minute reveal.

1 hour ago, mjfromthelane said:

Nice. Feel like they need to start giving us some tangible bits as there is little to get excited about at the moment. A lot of my group are still assuming the line up is going to be a disappointment because of the last minute reveal.

It's not a disappointment. It's very solid Boomtown line up, but I wouldn't expect any massive shocks, or huge headline sized acts either.