Boomtown Chapter 1: The Gathering

Jp2021

4 hours ago, Harry3 said:

I assume they mean literally just the Psy Forest, which was miles away from the bowl and makes sense why its not going to be there. But if we go by what it was like the last time it was all in the bowl, you should still have Tribe of Frog, Tangled Roots and the Hidden Woods.

This is correct. All forest parties other than the Psy-forest will be open, and maybe some more as well 👀

1 hour ago, mr flow said:

This is correct. All forest parties other than the Psy-forest will be open, and maybe some more as well 👀

Which just makes it even weirder to me why they sent an email to all ticket holders saying "we're removing the Psy-forest" rather than "we're keeping our forest parties close to the main arena this year"

They could even add "to do this we'll be replacing the Psy-forest with forest parties that capture the beating heart of BoomTown that let you party all night long" or words to that effect. 

They founders messages don't seem to be going through a comms professional which is a massive red flag.

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Which just makes it even weirder to me why they sent an email to all ticket holders saying "we're removing the Psy-forest" rather than "we're keeping our forest parties close to the main arena this year"

They could even add "to do this we'll be replacing the Psy-forest with forest parties that capture the beating heart of BoomTown that let you party all night long" or words to that effect. 

They founders messages don't seem to be going through a comms professional which is a massive red flag.

I think you’re over analysing this. All the info today has already been public knowledge, and Boomtown are just using this as an opportunity to reaffirm this. Honesty is the best policy and all that.

Trust me, this year is going to absolutely blow your mind. I’ve seen snippets of the line up (which I won’t be revealing), and it’s stacked. New areas and stages look incredible and they will be knocking it’s out the ball park this year. They can’t afford not to, and they are well aware of it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I think you’re over analysing this. All the info today has already been public knowledge, and Boomtown are just using this as an opportunity to reaffirm this. Honesty is the best policy and all that.

Trust me, this year is going to absolutely blow your mind. I’ve seen snippets of the line up (which I won’t be revealing), and it’s stacked. New areas and stages look incredible and they will be knocking it’s out the ball park this year. They can’t afford not to, and they are well aware of it.

Hmm maybe, I still think Boomtowns Comms are doing too much justifying why the changes are good and not nearly enough to promote the awesome benefits of the new format.

There is a new video out today, exploring the theatrical direction for this year, with lots of details about the new stages/districts:

Honestly, this Boomtown is a complete reset, and I know the team are a bit anxious about it all. I think the message from the founders was intended as a bit of expectation management. It's been known for at least 2 years now the Psyforest and Lions Den were being axed, but not everyone obsessively follows the festival, so might have been disappointed when they got there and found it missing.

The plan is to set some realistic expectations ahead of the new event, and then (hopefully) exceed those expectations. I agree maybe the founders message doesn't quite land right, but they just wanted to have an honest conversation about the changes and challenges of putting on a festival like this. It's easy to try and gloss over everything and just try and hype the festival, but they already sold the tickets, so I kind of appreciate the honesty, even if it does seem like an unusual approach.

The main Boomtown comms manager who has been around for years has recently left the business, so we might see a direction change in comms now. They recently recruited for two new comms team members to fill that gap, and likely they are still finding their feet. It will be interesting to see how they manage comms going forward, with a fresh team.

It's a very big event, run by a small and independent team. It grew very fast. I can't imagine the pressure they are under to deliver something that lives up to the dizzying heights reached in 2019 festival, with all the additional challenges and pressures now faced. They don't have the corporate backing, or bank balance to weather the storm like some of the other fests.

It's a make or break year for Boomtown. I really hope they smash it out the park, they normally do. The line up at least is shaping up to look like one of the strongest ever, at least based on what we are slowly learning.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sku said:

There is a new video out today, exploring the theatrical direction for this year, with lots of details about the new stages/districts:

Honestly, this Boomtown is a complete reset, and I know the team are a bit anxious about it all. I think the message from the founders was intended as a bit of expectation management. It's been known for at least 2 years now the Psyforest and Lions Den were being axed, but not everyone obsessively follows the festival, so might have been disappointed when they got there and found it missing.

The plan is to set some realistic expectations ahead of the new event, and then (hopefully) exceed those expectations. I agree maybe the founders message doesn't quite land right, but they just wanted to have an honest conversation about the changes and challenges of putting on a festival like this. It's easy to try and gloss over everything and just try and hype the festival, but they already sold the tickets, so I kind of appreciate the honesty, even if it does seem like an unusual approach.

The main Boomtown comms manager who has been around for years has recently left the business, so we might see a direction change in comms now. They recently recruited for two new comms team members to fill that gap, and likely they are still finding their feet. It will be interesting to see how they manage comms going forward, with a fresh team.

It's a very big event, run by a small and independent team. It grew very fast. I can't imagine the pressure they are under to deliver something that lives up to the dizzying heights reached in 2019 festival, with all the additional challenges and pressures now faced. They don't have the corporate backing, or bank balance to weather the storm like some of the other fests.

It's a make or break year for Boomtown. I really hope they smash it out the park, they normally do. The line up at least is shaping up to look like one of the strongest ever, at least based on what we are slowly learning.

That video is more like it though! Something to get more excited about!

There was a really good bit of the website I found the other day with loads of info, but it’s been taken down or I’ve lost it. The camp orchid campsite sounds like it’s where kids town/ whistlers green/ family camping was. Think it said located to the south of the main bowl 

the current info/ faq doesn’t have it 

30 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

There was a really good bit of the website I found the other day with loads of info, but it’s been taken down or I’ve lost it. The camp orchid campsite sounds like it’s where kids town/ whistlers green/ family camping was. Think it said located to the south of the main bowl 

the current info/ faq doesn’t have it 

The essential guide?

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/news/2022-05-25-essential-guide-2022/

Throughout the main arena you will have access to our main facilities, these include:
Gender Neutral Toilets
Water
Cash....

I think they do intend for you to be able to to top up with cash

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

The essential guide?

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/news/2022-05-25-essential-guide-2022/

Throughout the main arena you will have access to our main facilities, these include:
Gender Neutral Toilets
Water
Cash....

I think they do intend for you to be able to to top up with cash

Yeah that’s the one, thanks.

there’s cash machines so you can get out cash and then transfer it to your wristband. They sent out another email over the weekend on it

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 6:13 PM, joeltg said:

I'm so excited for this year now, I think they are gonna smash it out the park! 

I hope so. Really intrigued by how it will all look, just hoping the technology they're using for transactions, works. It's been my favourite festival since I first went in 2016.

Anyone got an idea where their ticket number for the National Express coach to Boomtown would be? I want to change my coach to an hour earlier but can’t seem to do so without a ticket number - yet TicketSellers & National Express never sent me this?

Edited by alf13

13 minutes ago, Lipschitz said:

You’d think Chemical Brothers are a strong possibility given they’re out on the festival circuit this summer and have a big space in their schedule in mid-August.

Also, why is it that boomtown doesn’t have a rumours page on efestivals, @eFestivals ?

Boomtown source is your best place for rumours. 

https://boomtownsource.com/boomtown-line-up-2022/#more-1683

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Supermerv said:

What are the chances of Death Grips playing? There was some talk about new music from them a month or so ago and they seem like the might be a pretty good fit for Boomtown.

They have 0 dates (to my knowledge)

Thoughts on Disclosure? They're headlining Boardmasters on the Saturday which gives them the rest of the weekend to make an appearance at Boomtown. Even a DJ set on Nucleus/Relic/Whatever massive trippy stage with loads of lights and pyro they've got this year would be pretty special. 

On 6/24/2022 at 1:56 PM, benjamingepage said:

Thoughts on Disclosure? They're headlining Boardmasters on the Saturday which gives them the rest of the weekend to make an appearance at Boomtown. Even a DJ set on Nucleus/Relic/Whatever massive trippy stage with loads of lights and pyro they've got this year would be pretty special. 

I'm pretty sure they aren't playing

I think I had assumed that when they said they were moving everything to the bowl again, they were also halving the capacity, but recently Ive read that the capacity will still be around ~60,000 including crew. That seems like a huge number of people to squeeze into the bowl? Wont sound bleed between stages be an issue?