Boomtown Chapter 1: The Gathering

Jp2021

19 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Reading between the lines, there’s been some comms around how much costs have gone up relative to 2020, no income for 2 years, lots of emphasis on going back to their roots, all about the experience etc.

I wouldn’t expect any “big” headliners like gorillaz or groove armada this year. 

I personally think it’s a good idea, they’re trying to get their core audience back and shake off the “festival for 18 year olds on ket” reputation they’ve got. 

Boomtown are going to make a substantial loss this year. It's unavoidable due to the increase in costs and the fact they are working to budgets that were designed on 2020 prices.

However, they aren't cutting back on the line up budget or the budget for the show, as they want to ensure everyone has the best possible time and they don't want to jeopardise the future of the festival by cutting back and leaving punters unhappy.

I think you're right about the level of headliner, but by the sounds of it, the line up is pretty stacked. Before anyone asks, i don't know any names. From what I have heard, the new DNB and Reggae district and large main stage will be situated at the bottom of the hippy highway in front of the hidden woods, which will essentially be the redesigned lions den but moved across to that location.

6 hours ago, mr flow said:

From what I have heard, the new DNB and Reggae district and large main stage will be situated at the bottom of the hippy highway in front of the hidden woods

Crew bar will be handy for that, unless they move it. Let's hope there's not too much sound bleed into Tangled Roots in the daytime though. 

On 3/30/2022 at 10:01 AM, 1986 said:

First time this year and I'm looking forward to it but have no idea what to expect and with the reboot and blind line up it feels like a total mystery. 

People who have been before, tell me things. I know like the post above said it has a bit of a druggy rep but I also hear it's really friendly. Probably cus everyone is on drugs 😄 

We went in 2017 for the reggae/ska/hip-hop acts (Cypress Hill and Sublime were both there, bear in mind) and it was so funny to see an army of stoners trotting off to bed just as the ravers were getting ready to be up all night. Tons of drugs but that's a lot of festivals and honestly the atmosphere was super chill all the time, the worst drama was getting in after a 12 hour queue since it was not long after the Manchester bombings. 

On 3/30/2022 at 11:20 PM, jfaragher said:

Crew bar will be handy for that, unless they move it. Let's hope there's not too much sound bleed into Tangled Roots in the daytime though. 

Got a feeling crew bar will be moved, but would be perfect if it isn't!

I'm concerned about sound bleed with Tangled and Hidden woods, but guessing they have done their homework 🤞

9 hours ago, 1986 said:

Who else do we know is touring around the fest that is a good fit? Does Reading have much crossover?

If it turns out that the reason boom can't release the lineup is because they've booked rage against the machine then I'll do a back flip with joy

Edit: Ignore me they're in New York that weekend

Edited by ace56blaa

On 4/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, 1986 said:

Who else do we know is touring around the fest that is a good fit? Does Reading have much crossover?

I also did a lil research into who could be playing this year by whose touring around the time and who'd be coming back from the cancelled lineup. 
My predictions are : Damian Marley Jr, IDLES, Greentea Peng, Underworld, De La Soul, Princess Nokia, Ibibio Sound Machine, Biig Piig, The Skints (duh) Shy FX , Meute, all returning from the cancelled one.
With Gorillaz (again?), Kae Tempest, Kamasi Washington, Ezra Collective, Yves Tumor, Kurupt FM, Slowthai, Little Simz, Jungle, Chemical Brothers, BICEP as possibilities cause touring around that time. 

Haven't seen wutang clan or mura masa touring so can't see them returning at this point plus a few surprise big acts could be nice

• Thanks 2

On 4/7/2022 at 1:09 PM, Old_Johno said:

Assuming beans on toast will be there, can’t keep him out. 

In general layout terms I think it’s going campsites to the edge and everything in the middle of downtown (apart from Forest parties) 

As long as Old Town is still predominant I don't mind! Love that area. 

16 hours ago, tpark said:

Grandma's Living Room is my favourite microvenue, I'm hoping that's back in old town this year

Didn't that go last time out? I remember speaking to 'Grandma' and the lads before an impromptu limbo competition in 2018, and they said they'd been told that they weren't coming back after 2019 (possibly for 2019).

1 hour ago, 1986 said:

Who’s insightful enough to make a list of acts that fit the festival and are touring round that time? I know I’m not. 
the suspense of waiting for the 6th/7th is gonna build a lot 

Based on what people have already said in this thread we get:

Confirmed

Manidextrous

Kelvin 373

Possible carryover from 2020

Damian Marley Jr (also @Boardmasters)

Greentea Peng (also @Boardmasters)

Underworld (also @wilderness) 

De La Soul

Princess Nokia

Ibibio Sound Machine