Boomtown Chapter 1: The Gathering

Jp2021

1 hour ago, TheFullShaboo said:

After a weekend catching up with friends, having a few drinks and pondering this summers plans, this is one hell of a kickback. 

I knew that the government backed insurance was pivotal early on in the year, but ive always assumed that once the restrictions end on the 21st, then its full steam ahead with nothing left to block our festival-heavy summer. 

😞 

I'm exactly the same. I wasn't looking at things with a ridiculously unrealistic, over-optimistic perspective. I've tried to stay across the factual detail of infection rates, vaccination rates, comparison with other countries (Aus and NZ, mainly) etc., and I am 'so confident' that, come mid-late summer, all these events will be able to take place. If most of them have already been pulled by then because of a complete lack of support by this sham of an administration, then they will be guilty of unnecessarily decimating a massive part of this country's cultural heritage.

And for what? £37billion for a piece of shit IT, amongst their other object failures. 

No Power Without Accountability

😞

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

ive always assumed that once the restrictions end on the 21st, then its full steam ahead with nothing left to block our festival-heavy summer. 

😞 

It's not been said restrictions will end on the 21st though. Just that would be the earliest date.

There will still be ongoing test events till that date and probably beyond, to see what if any restrictions will be needed for mass gatherings.

14 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

It's not been said restrictions will end on the 21st though. Just that would be the earliest date.

There will still be ongoing test events till that date and probably beyond, to see what if any restrictions will be needed for mass gatherings.

Step 4 (June 21st) says that the government hopes to 'remove all legal limits on social contact'. And, as things are going, surely theres nothing in the data to suggest the restrictions need to be extended past the 21st. 

Regardless of that, the head guy said "we won’t be able to go ahead with the next addition of the festival this august, even if restrictions are eased in June" . Why? Incase theres another outbreak which forces the government to bring back restrictions?

I hope im not coming across as crass and flippant, but if festivals aren't going to go ahead once all restrictions end, then when can we expect them to return?

23 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Step 4 (June 21st) says that the government hopes to 'remove all legal limits on social contact'. And, as things are going, surely theres nothing in the data to suggest the restrictions need to be extended past the 21st. 

Regardless of that, the head guy said "we won’t be able to go ahead with the next addition of the festival this august, even if restrictions are eased in June" . Why? Incase theres another outbreak which forces the government to bring back restrictions?

I hope im not coming across as crass and flippant, but if festivals aren't going to go ahead once all restrictions end, then when can we expect them to return?

The key word is 'hopes'. And yes as no event can get covid cancellation insurance, so many are not willing to risk their future on a potential 3rd wave and there would be massive loses to organisations.

This is why there is a series of trial events starting later this month and to run into the summer, with the first lot of results known by the end of May for the first round of events. 
None of those initial events include mass gatherings such as camping festivals, outdoor concerts and all include pre-testing. 
I suspect the 2nd group of test events might have a better range of scenarios that will allow festivals to return, hoping for late July/August personally.

I've been speaking about this on other threads and some people are probably getting bored of me haha... 

It's the supply chain as a whole, it's not just about the festival, the brand of the festival. Its the freelancers, the contractors, the traders, the logistics of putting the events together. A lot of people in the events industry and the stakeholding supply chain have been on furlough, just part time or found other jobs and forms of income. 

They just can't click their fingers and these events will happen they take months and months to plan and get the logistics in place. Deadlines are fast approaching for deposits and large sums of money having to be paid out with no guarantee the event will go ahead, no covid related insurance... 

It's going beyond the point of Covid cases, vaccines, passports, government opening things up it's now about time frames, logistics, cash flow. 

Edited by JBarbour
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

I've been speaking about this on other threads and some people are probably getting bored of me haha... 

It's the supply chain as a whole, it's not just about the festival, the brand of the festival. Its the freelancers, the contractors, the traders, the logistics of putting the events together. A lot of people in the events industry and the stakeholding supply chain have been on furlough, just part time or found other jobs and forms of income. 

They just can't click their fingers and these events will happen they take months and months to plan and get the logistics in place. Deadlines are fast approaching for deposits and large sums of money having to be paid out with no guarantee the event will go ahead, no covid related insurance... 

It's going beyond the point of Covid cases, vaccines, passports, government opening things up it's now about time frames, logistics, cash flow. 

Of course! Im by no way suggesting that festivals are a quick fire process that can be set up at the drop of a finger, but when the roadmap came out and labelled the 21st June as the final stage for opening, i've naively accepted this was plenty of time for Boomtown, and others, commencing in August to take place? 

I have no experience of working in either the festival or logistics industry, but i've just assumed that under these exceptional circumstances, most would be able to hold off on any payments until around June 21st? And then once the 21st arrive and all restrictions are dropped the festival can crack on and start the serious legwork? 

14 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Of course! Im by no way suggesting that festivals are a quick fire process that can be set up at the drop of a finger, but when the roadmap came out and labelled the 21st June as the final stage for opening, i've naively accepted this was plenty of time for Boomtown, and others, commencing in August to take place? 

I have no experience of working in either the festival or logistics industry, but i've just assumed that under these exceptional circumstances, most would be able to hold off on any payments until around June 21st? And then once the 21st arrive and all restrictions are dropped the festival can crack on and start the serious legwork? 

The road map is the earliest things can open not the latest. The Government can still open most things up but put restrictions in place until Sept, so events are still not guaranteed. Each event will have a deadline for when they have no option but to cancel and that will likely be when they have to start paying out for things. 

Don't forget the industry got put on pause and most staff on furlough. Most of them staff are still on furlough or just working part time so they are still not at full capacity. 

You can't just think of the festival itself, its the whole industry and supply chain, there is no cash flowing. If it was as simple as just a date for reopening the likes of Glasto, BST and BlueDot wouldn't have cancelled. 

I'm hoping to get to an event or two this year. I would be worried events wouldn't be at their normal standards even if they can go ahead. That will weigh on organisers as well if they feel standards slip because the logistics aren't at the full capacity. 

Edited by JBarbour

On 4/7/2021 at 3:20 PM, JBarbour said:

The road map is the earliest things can open not the latest. The Government can still open most things up but put restrictions in place until Sept, so events are still not guaranteed. Each event will have a deadline for when they have no option but to cancel and that will likely be when they have to start paying out for things. 

Don't forget the industry got put on pause and most staff on furlough. Most of them staff are still on furlough or just working part time so they are still not at full capacity. 

You can't just think of the festival itself, its the whole industry and supply chain, there is no cash flowing. If it was as simple as just a date for reopening the likes of Glasto, BST and BlueDot wouldn't have cancelled. 

This.

With each day that passes, I'm less and less confident Boomtown will go ahead.

Fuck sake! Here's what they said on the email.

We are so sorry to bring another round of heartbreaking news to you all and sadly it feels a bit like déjà vu, as almost exactly a year ago we had to break some identical bad news… Unfortunately, we will no longer be holding Boomtown Chapter One: The Gathering this year and it will now take place from 10th - 14th August 2022. 

We have been doing everything within our power to try to find a solution to the mind-boggling conundrum of putting on a safe and well-run event to the sheer scale, complexity and intricate nature of Boomtown this summer. However, the time has simply run out for us to be able to proceed in a way that would live up to our high safety and production standards for the large scale event we had planned. 

Why Cancel Now? 

With less than four months to go until the event, and after almost half a year of collective campaigning to the government, sadly COVID specific cancellation insurance for events simply does not exist at this point in time. This means anyone putting on an event this year, will be doing so without the safety net of insurance to cover them should COVID prevent them from going ahead in any capacity. For an independent event as large and complex as Boomtown, this means a huge gamble into an 8-figure sum to lose if we were to venture much further forward, and then not be able to go ahead due to COVID.

Although we have recently been awarded a very generous grant from the Arts Council England, which we are incredibly grateful for and throws us a vital and necessary lifeline, the reality is it represents only a fraction of the costs (under 10%) involved in creating an event to the sheer scale and ambition of Boomtown, and only goes so far to plugging the deficit left from not being able to run our event, now for two years in a row, and most pressingly does not solve the problem of lack of insurance.

We had planned Chapter One: The Gathering with our values front and centre and the safety and comfort at the top of the agenda for all in attendance, those living in the local area, as well as those working on the event. However, it does not feel that at this critical point in time, we have enough of an understanding of what the conditions will be in order for us to safely operate, or the time left to be able to implement it all to put on the show we know we were all waiting for this summer.

Tickets

All tickets for 2021 will automatically roll over to the 2022 event, and refunds will be available to those who wish.  We are so grateful to everyone who has kept their ticket with us over the past year, you really did save the festival, and will continue to do so if you are able to roll them over for another year. 

For more details please head here.

We are truly devastated to not be able to all come together to celebrate in the way we’d all like to this summer, and we know how hard this will be for the thousands of you who have supported us and kept the faith that we could collectively reunite in the beautiful fields this year.

The resale for all refunded 2021 tickets will go ahead as planned on 1st June, so if you weren’t able to get a ticket this year before we sold out, then this might be the golden opportunity to get your hands on a ticket to come and join us when we get to reset the clock to Chapter One and are all finally able to dance together once more in August 2022. 

BIG LOVE,
Boomtown

I love Boomtown and gutted not to be going, but I'm more gutted for the organisers, team, third parties and freelancers that depend on events for a living. I hope they can pull it round for next year. I think the problems for the events industry is going to run deep for years to come. 

If politicians had an interest in festivals either financially or emotional this would be a whole different story. There would be gov cancellation insurance and more guidance/support. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

increasingly looking like boomtown is going to be the biggest fest (not counting Glasto months ago) to be cancelled? so gutting.

Download is bigger, arguably TRNSMT and BST as well depending on how you define them.

Unfortunately I wouldn't say we're out of the woods yet, there'll inevitably still be others that fall.

8 minutes ago, incident said:

Download is bigger, arguably TRNSMT and BST as well depending on how you define them.

Unfortunately I wouldn't say we're out of the woods yet, there'll inevitably still be others that fall.

Fair point on Download! Although not sure that ever had a chance with a June date....

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mr flow said:

Boomtown Lite is looking like it will go ahead as long as government restrictions don't prevent it from happening. 8k people and only in the bowl from what I understand.

Think a mini Boomtown would work? 8k seems a really low capacity, especially comparing to one stage, one field, one day Glastonbury events of 40-50k. 

Edited by JBarbour

15 hours ago, JBarbour said:

Think a mini Boomtown would work? 8k seems a really low capacity, especially comparing to one stage, one field, one day Glastonbury events of 40-50k. 

It's only going to be for crew and local residents primarily. I think it's more of a way of keeping people active than putting on a full scale event. If they did a mass event, people would just moan it's not like a normal Boomtown.

11 minutes ago, mr flow said:

It's only going to be for crew and local residents primarily. I think it's more of a way of keeping people active than putting on a full scale event. If they did a mass event, people would just moan it's not like a normal Boomtown.

Any chance of tickets being available to the wider public? 

Im hoping a few more festivals who have pulled the plug may try and put on something similar 

7 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Any chance of tickets being available to the wider public? 

Im hoping a few more festivals who have pulled the plug may try and put on something similar 

I don't really have any info on tickets being available to wider public, but they are seeing it very much as a sort of "friends and family" sort of event.

4 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I don't really have any info on tickets being available to wider public, but they are seeing it very much as a sort of "friends and family" sort of event.

Thats a shame, but completely understandable. 

Both my 'big party' festivals have cancelled already - beat herder and boomtown - and it feels the only ones still left are more family orientated. Im in desperate need of some impromptu day raves being organised! 

On 5/26/2021 at 11:06 AM, dumski said:

is the 2022 plan still down in the bowl? taking kids this time so could be interesting 

They have the option to do the full blown festival as that's what the licence allows them, with the bigger capacity and whole site. 

I imagine it will depend on the budget and risks the organisers are wanting to take. I don't see why they can't sell some more tickets next year if the demand is there and expand the festival site according.   

With it billed as Chapter 1 and a rebirth/re-imagined event they may want to kick off without the added pressure of booking expensive acts, loads of staff, massive build... Then build on the capacity year on year again.