WOMAD 2021

westholtschic

With the final unlocking phase delayed, anyone got a WOMAD on/off prediction?

I see two major issues…. 1) international acts (the WOMAD blood) will still be hard to book re travel restrictions. 2) the festival will have to be built during restrictions. 

Anyone think that WOMAD would be an idea test event for the government?  

Edited by ian the worm

7 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

With the final unlocking phase delayed, anyone got a WOMAD on/off prediction?

I see two major issues…. 1) international acts (the WOMAD blood) will still be hard to book re travel restrictions. 2) the festival will have to be built during restrictions. 

Anyone think that WOMAD would be an idea test event for the government?  

The travel restrictions were planned to stay anyway, so I don't think anything has changed there.

The build could happen now, there's plenty of construction going on, so I don't think anything much has changed there either.

It's down to whether the organisers feel confident enough of the festival happening as planned to lay out money on the infrastructure etc. without a guarantee from Boris and his motley crew. The industry has been asking for a government underwriting scheme all year to no effect, but if that was in place then I'd be very confident of it taking place. I expect that they'll be trying to get some assurances from the government in the next few days. Latitude is the same weekend and I expect that Melvin Benn will also be seeking the same sort of assurances.

It might all depend on how the Download test event goes this weekend.

Dear friends of WOMAD,

Like everyone we have been waiting for the decision on the Government’s “Roadmap” and further lock down easing. With the announced 4-week delay in the lifting of restrictions we are not able to confirm WOMAD 2021 today without understanding the realistic level of Government support in the event of a forced Covid cancellation and the basis on which large scale events are going to be allowed to proceed. 

At this time, we need to look further into the details as they come out and talk some more to our suppliers and artists to understand what we can do and how much further we can travel down this road.

Despite this frustrating delay, the confidence expressed by ministers that restrictions will be lifted in the days before WOMAD is due to go ahead has given some optimism and we are trying to establish what, if any, Government backed financial underwrite will be available to enable WOMAD to extend and manage its already considerable risk.

Of course, our priority is to be able to present a safe event and to minimise any risks to our festival family and we will work tirelessly to achieve this goal.

Thank you for your continued support we would not have got this far without the extraordinary commitment of our suppliers, artists, and you our festival fans who put your hands in your pocket and make WOMAD possible.

We will get back to you later this week.

The WOMAD Team 

>> https://womad.co.uk/womad-festival-2021-update/

Peter Gabriel has told the BBC that Womad festival, which he co-founded, may have to be cancelled too, unless it gets support from the government.

Speaking to Radio 4's Today programme, Gabriel says: "If we're trying to restore cultural life and normality then we do need a bit of help here.

"It's a huge industry now and we would like to get some confidence and security from something like an insurance scheme, some sort of underwriting scheme."

Asked whether he's likely to cancel the festival this year if support isn't forthcoming, he says: "I think we have to. We've been faced with bankruptcy on two occasions previous to that and if we're trying to secure the future of the festival... we can't risk sinking it this year."

However, on the same programme, Treasury minister Jesse Norman says "an enormous amount of money" has already been poured into the arts during the pandemic "so it's important to recognise what has already been done".

Pressed if the underwriting insurance will be considered, Norman says: "Of course the government continues to monitor the way in which restrictions are playing out, and this is a matter for discussion, as the culture secretary has said, it's a matter for the sector to address with him."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57510061

Edited by glasto-worker

2 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

Seeing as latitude has secured itself as a test event, is there any chance womad may do the same? First year this year (I couldn’t face another year of no festivals)

I hope so, I guess that's why there's the delay on any announcement, if there's a go-ahead I'll immediately apply to work (Oxfam still recruiting) or just buy a ticket. 

So spurious information, I'll give you the source and you can judge it's validity. 

In the Oxfam festivals stewards WhatsApp group someone has posted screenshots of a conversation with a friend/acquaintance they say was booked to play. 

This friend/acquaintance has said the person who booked them has said it's cancelled. 

So, very 5th hand knowledge, not sure how trustworthy it is but not a great sign.

11 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

So spurious information, I'll give you the source and you can judge it's validity. 

In the Oxfam festivals stewards WhatsApp group someone has posted screenshots of a conversation with a friend/acquaintance they say was booked to play. 

This friend/acquaintance has said the person who booked them has said it's cancelled. 

So, very 5th hand knowledge, not sure how trustworthy it is but not a great sign.

If I was a betting man i'd go for that as reasonable. It stinks a bit that Latitude has managed to get approval as a test event but not Womad. Something fishy there, maybe the fact that Festival Republic has some sway in political circles whereas Womad.............................