Will Kendal Calling go ahead?

debted

43 minutes ago, debted said:

Wondering if Kendal Calling will go ahead this year. After todays Leeds & Reading Announcement what are peoples feelings? I thinking yes it will but I'm an optimist ! 

I’m gonna say yes. The dates seem to be in a good spot for it to go ahead. Saying that i’ll do anything to give myself hope for it 😁

Not convinced ! I think Reading and Leeds are being extremely optimistic there is a government think tank being formed to discuss how to make major events covid secure , and if they come up with you must of had a test or the vaccine and take a lateral flow to gain entry i think it could be a logistical nightmare . plus its only a date at the moment if we fail at one of these steps and everything is paused for 5 weeks that would be way to close . If there is a government backed cancelation scheme added then maybe organisers will crack on , its way to risky at present to commit to the loses could be huge 

8 hours ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

Not convinced ! I think Reading and Leeds are being extremely optimistic there is a government think tank being formed to discuss how to make major events covid secure , and if they come up with you must of had a test or the vaccine and take a lateral flow to gain entry i think it could be a logistical nightmare . plus its only a date at the moment if we fail at one of these steps and everything is paused for 5 weeks that would be way to close . If there is a government backed cancelation scheme added then maybe organisers will crack on , its way to risky at present to commit to the loses could be huge 

There's plenty of hurdles in the way to pass between now and June, I think its inevitable that the government will mess up along the way but what im clinging onto is that by the end of July almost everyone will have had chance of a vaccine so number of hospitalisation so be low enough to make events possible. Plus the government are under pressure from within to open back up so I think they'll hit the end date. There was no need to mention on at all so they must be optimistic of making it 

9 minutes ago, Sawat said:

One of the main issues is not about set up or dates, it’s about the insurance. Of the insurance company won’t underwrite because of risks, it won’t go ahead. Rumour has it, L and R has gone ahead without sorting their insurance first.

The insurance they can't get is cancellation insurance where the cancellation is due to covid.

It's not actually a big issue as such, providing the promoter is prepared to carry that risk themselves (although understandably some won't want the risk).

In the end it's just one of many risks a promoter takes on when trying to run an event, and right now the covid risk for midsummer onwards doesn't look too bad.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The insurance they can't get is cancellation insurance where the cancellation is due to covid.

It's not actually a big issue as such, providing the promoter is prepared to carry that risk themselves (although understandably some won't want the risk).

In the end it's just one of many risks a promoter takes on when trying to run an event, and right now the covid risk for midsummer onwards doesn't look too bad.

I could be wrong but I heard live nation were insured for last year add in the financial grants they received from the arts grants it puts them in a total different position to most . Only relevant festivals that have announced this week are live nation owned . As I say I may of been miss informed over insurance 

1 hour ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

I could be wrong but I heard live nation were insured for last year add in the financial grants they received from the arts grants it puts them in a total different position to most . Only relevant festivals that have announced this week are live nation owned . As I say I may of been miss informed over insurance 

Live Nation would have been insured for last year, every festival would have had insurance including cancellation insurance.

The issue is as Neil said is that the specific cancellation policy due to communicable dieseases would not have been covered as a geneal rule once Covid was declared a pandemic. It basically null and voids any cancellation, unless they had that specific policy in place. 

Not even sure Live Nation got any of the ACE grants in the UK, not actually checked the list but would love to know for sure?

Oh and lots of festivsals announcing (and selling out this week) that are not owned by LN. 

Edited by Paul ™

3 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Not even sure Live Nation got any of the ACE grants in the UK, not actually checked the list but would love to know for sure?

Don't think they did. Against expectation, it was mostly independents that were given grants.

Off the top of my head, neither LN or AEG, or any of their events got Cultural Recovery grants. The only Festivals owned by a major company that did are were Love Supreme (owned by Universal Music) and some of the Superstruct events.

Though there's another round of grants due to be announced in a few weeks, so that may change.

38 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Live Nation would have been insured for last year, every festival would have had insurance including cancellation insurance.

The issue is as Neil said is that the specific cancellation policy due to communicable dieseases would not have been covered as a geneal rule once Covid was declared a pandemic. It basically null and voids any cancellation, unless they had that specific policy in place. 

Oh and lots of festivsals announcing (and selling out this week) that are not owned by LN. 

Yeah I know other festivals have announced mate just saying the 2 obvious ones that have been reported on bbc news .

yes on insurance obviously they would be insured but I was told they were paid out for covid LN in America have also started legals against their insurance over there. Could be BS though which I said.

depends how you look at it on grant payout take a rather large promoter from Manchester errr think of a blur tune they are LN and 342k loads 

29 minutes ago, incident said:

Don't think they did. Against expectation, it was mostly independents that were given grants.

Off the top of my head, neither LN or AEG, or any of their events got Cultural Recovery grants. The only Festivals owned by a major company that did are were Love Supreme (owned by Universal Music) and some of the Superstruct events.

Though there's another round of grants due to be announced in a few weeks, so that may change.

Which superstruct? 

On 2/28/2021 at 12:11 PM, sisco said:

I’m currently looking for another festival to go to next year and this is right at the top of the list at the moment if it goes ahead.  

Presuming those on this forum would overwhelmingly recommend it?

Yeah it's really good - a nice atmosphere most of the time, really cool intimate main stage area and (I think) a good selection of food. Real ale tent too if you like that sort of thing. 

Guess it's down to your music tastes really- it's perfect MoR stuff for me personally!

38 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah it's really good - a nice atmosphere most of the time, really cool intimate main stage area and (I think) a good selection of food. Real ale tent too if you like that sort of thing. 

Guess it's down to your music tastes really- it's perfect MoR stuff for me personally!

Hoping it goes ahead, I am after a late july/early august festival.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Hoping it goes ahead, I am after a late july/early august festival.

Yeah I'm getting tickets next couple of days- if the lineup is even half of what it was meant to be last year ill want to go so may as well just buy them, and if they end up being for 2022 I'll just save some money next year! 

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah I'm getting tickets next couple of days- if the lineup is even half of what it was meant to be last year ill want to go so may as well just buy them, and if they end up being for 2022 I'll just save some money next year! 

One of the reason I am being a little cautious buying tickets with early August festivals, as I will no doubt do Sziget festival next year. If Kendal does get announced and then cancelled it could be a little tricky, then again I would imagine it will sell out quickly.

I think I’m missing something.....isn’t the plan for full lifting of restriction at the end of June? I acknowledge that there’s a few hurdles to overcome re: vaccines and I recognise that variants may halt things, but on balance I think KC will go ahead 

5 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

I think I’m missing something.....isn’t the plan for full lifting of restriction at the end of June? I acknowledge that there’s a few hurdles to overcome re: vaccines and I recognise that variants may halt things, but on balance I think KC will go ahead 

Vaccination proof is the issue - not everyone will have had two by then, and they may not meet the as yet unknown government guidelines/or even get insurance if they let people in without two (no it makes no sense to me either).

Personally I really want these things to happen and would go to one even without a vaccine by that point, but I'm not convinced- they'd have to say people who've had one dose can come to festivals (like myself by then most likely), but that indicates you don't actually need your second if you're safe to go to events  

It's a mess and I don't think we're going to like the outcome. I'm buying my tickets tonight but to help the festival, but I'm well aware it's likely for 2022 or even that I may be ineligible to go 

Edited by efcfanwirral

I’m not seeing ‘proof of vaccination’ being the way forward. I think it’s all about rates of infection and hospitalisation.....as vaccination increases, infection rates and hospitalisation rates decrease. That’s the way out and a return to normality for me. Not proof of vaccination

Edited by SloopJohnB

12 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

I’m not seeing ‘proof of vaccination’ being the way forward. I think it’s all about rates of infection and hospitalisation.....as vaccination increases, infection rates and hospitalisation rates decrease. That’s the way out and a return to normality for me. Not proof of vaccination

Problem is organisers know there will procedures and restrictions but the government won’t tell them what they are going to be ! You could organise and sell out Kendal book a line up on 35k ticket sales then come end of June get told they can only have 50 % capacity which would make it in a loss situation. 

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/mar/06/fans-and-artists-must-have-covid-vaccine-before-attending-music-festivals-say-organisers