Self Confirmed 2022

FloorFiller

58 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’ve got it in my head they’re going to be bumped to Sunday and higher up. Especially if Swift is back.

This is based on nothing but guesswork obv.

Whilst it makes sense on paper I think glasto tends to shake it up a bit. I can’t remember a time (other than with Kanye and Pharrell, or The Who and Paul Weller) where they put very obvious warm-up acts before the headliner.

I also think the Who and Paul weller isn’t a good example as they both came as a package deal with BST right?

Edited by Matt42

40 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Whilst it makes sense on paper I think glasto tends to shake it up a bit. I can’t remember a time (other than with Kanye and Pharrell, or The Who and Paul Weller) where they put very obvious warm-up acts before the headliner.

I also think the Who and Paul weller isn’t a good example as they both came as a package deal with BST right?

Yeah they do like to mix it up don’t they? I remember in 2010 it was Scissor Sisters/Muse on the Pyramid and Editors/Pet Shop Boys on the Other. We watched both Other Stage acts and I think we were the only ones-the stages pretty much swapped crowds 😀.

Did we ever find out who was supposed to sub Swifty? I can see them getting bumped to second if she wants a say in who plays before her (like Radiohead with Flaming Lips or (IIRC) the Stones with Primal Scream). I could also see them working really well after D Ross into an on-paper-wildly-inappropriate Sub like Nick Cave.

I often misjudge these things but I thought 4th was maybe a bit low for HAIM even below 3 really big acts and given their prominence on LAWF a step up could happen IMuninformedO.

13 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yeah they do like to mix it up don’t they? I remember in 2010 it was Scissor Sisters/Muse on the Pyramid and Editors/Pet Shop Boys on the Other. We watched both Other Stage acts and I think we were the only ones-the stages pretty much swapped crowds 😀.

Did we ever find out who was supposed to sub Swifty? I can see them getting bumped to second if she wants a say in who plays before her (like Radiohead with Flaming Lips or (IIRC) the Stones with Primal Scream). I could also see them working really well after D Ross into an on-paper-wildly-inappropriate Sub like Nick Cave.

I often misjudge these things but I thought 4th was maybe a bit low for HAIM even below 3 really big acts and given their prominence on LAWF a step up could happen IMuninformedO.

No idea. To this day we don’t even know who was subbing Swift. Big ? That one.

HAIM would have technically been 3rd down with a secret set between them and Noel but I get what you mean. Actually playing 4th is pretty low for them. Way too low now. I understood it as them being friends of the festival and not worrying about where they are placed. However I think they are in the right place in their career now to sub. Their latest album has actually been a right hit and deserves to be reflected in their placement.

Whilst them before Taylor makes sense on paper it wasn’t part of the plan for 2020 so maybe it won’t be for 2022. We shall have to see!

Edited by Matt42

@Matt42

Good point about them technically being third down! I agree on all of that, they could definitely be higher, being a Friend of the fest could work in terms of getting a high placing too, though it’s unlikely Emily is going to struggle to fill slots next year. One of the reasons it being even harder to guess than normal.

Using the very unscientific measure that ‘I Don’t Wanna’ is my 3-year-old sons favourite song, they’ve definitely penetrated the mainstream.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Probably worth adding @MEGABOWLthat I thought their slot in 2017 was pretty low for their size too. They went on to sub coachella the next year! Maybe they don’t put up a fuss with where they are billed.

Historically, whoever was booking them was pretty shite as they have taken low billings at a lot of festivals where they probably could have pushed for better. They also definitely weren't booked to sub last year which doesn't bode well

Objectively, I dont think they are that dissimilar to Vampire Weekend nowadays, although I did think VW were a smaller sub too. Plus, getting a female band subbing the pointy one would obviously look good, and they also did a slot for the live event which would have built up good will with Emily...

Could go either way

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Historically, whoever was booking them was pretty shite as they have taken low billings at a lot of festivals where they probably could have pushed for better. They also definitely weren't booked to sub last year which doesn't bode well

Objectively, I dont think they are that dissimilar to Vampire Weekend nowadays, although I did think VW were a smaller sub too. Plus, getting a female band subbing the pointy one would obviously look good, and they also did a slot for the live event which would have built up good will with Emily...

Could go either way

I think VW had a pretty horrendous slot in 2019. A comedown from Kylie and Miley and just before the headliner. Seemed like a lot of people went for a loo break, a drink, or to get some food during their set. 

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think VW had a pretty horrendous slot in 2019. A comedown from Kylie and Miley and just before the headliner. Seemed like a lot of people went for a loo break, a drink, or to get some food during their set. 

I was sat at the top of the hill for VW. The place was packed out and everybody was having a great time. 

In my top 5 of the weekend. 

15 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Probably worth adding @MEGABOWLthat I thought their slot in 2017 was pretty low for their size too. They went on to sub coachella the next year! Maybe they don’t put up a fuss with where they are billed.

They got the worst spot of the whole festival which was playing before Beyonce. Haim did their best but the crowd was not having it. And Post Malone was on at the same time on a diff stage.

I think we're all assuming Wolf Alice will be there next year anyway, but the end of this interview certainly suggests so:

• “Playing Glastonbury was really nice, though — it was the first festival I was ever at, at 17, and we’ve played it a few times before. So, there was something lovely about being in that field and part of a unique experience — but it will be even better when everyone can come along as normal. Hopefully next year. Nothing beats that.”

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/wolf-alices-ellie-rowsell-i-no-longer-shroud-my-lyrics-in-ambiguity-because-of-being-afraid-40500017.html

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I think we're all assuming Wolf Alice will be there next year anyway, but the end of this interview certainly suggests so:

• “Playing Glastonbury was really nice, though — it was the first festival I was ever at, at 17, and we’ve played it a few times before. So, there was something lovely about being in that field and part of a unique experience — but it will be even better when everyone can come along as normal. Hopefully next year. Nothing beats that.”

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/wolf-alices-ellie-rowsell-i-no-longer-shroud-my-lyrics-in-ambiguity-because-of-being-afraid-40500017.html

Yup, I believe Emily also name dropped them on the lead up to the stream about acts that could make an appearance next year. I can see them either 3rd down Pyramid (as Pyramid is already seeming pretty full) or headlining Other. 

7 hours ago, nikkic said:

I was sat at the top of the hill for VW. The place was packed out and everybody was having a great time. 

In my top 5 of the weekend. 

Packed out for VW?, I walked right down to almost the barrier and left part way through for an easy walk out.

23 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

I’ve since listened to their new album (that I’d missed the existence of) and retract my statement.

@chazwwe

haha, I get that! They played 4th down in 2016 and that was off just 1 album, which I thought at the time was too high. My only concern with them on the Pyramid is getting lost in the 'chair sitters' but I know if its Kendrick/Macca/Taylor I wouldn't be seeing them if they were on Other, so its more of a selfish guess.

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

haha, I get that! They played 4th down in 2016 and that was off just 1 album, which I thought at the time was too high. My only concern with them on the Pyramid is getting lost in the 'chair sitters' but I know if its Kendrick/Macca/Taylor I wouldn't be seeing them if they were on Other, so its more of a selfish guess.

Sorry being that guy but they played 5th down 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Skelts said:

Harry whatshisname off mcfly just self confirmed on the one show. 
“we finally got invited to play Glastonbury but then it got cancelled. Maybe next year”

not sure if this is new news? Where would they play? 

Avalon Stage.

Not taking the piss, there's precedent there.

• 3 weeks later...