Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

41 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

They are the only ones though who've acknowledged that the festival will be going ahead under a number of restrictions, with a full section on their website with how they're going to overcome everything from the rule of 30 to social distancing. 

Every other festival has explicitly stated that unless socially distancing was dropped they wouldn't be going ahead - BigFoot hasn't

Im fully aware that this may be some marketing ploy to completely sell out before cancelling, but still, the fact that they've addressed the issues they will face under the roadmap have provided me with some hope, however false it may be. 

Good point. I'm excited again now! 

15 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

It allows them to at least either get deposits or alternatively other work 

I’d guess that if they are offered other work with deposits they will take it. As you’ve said many times, there won’t be any work in July! 

I’ve got The Libertines in July at Rochester Castle (5,000 capacity), The Streets in August in Crystal Palace and Victorious Festival bank holiday weekend in August.  

Got a chance I suppose but even I’m feeling slightly negative now and a few weeks ago thought I’d defo get to them all

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

I’d guess that if they are offered other work with deposits they will take it. As you’ve said many times, there won’t be any work in July! 

By other work I mean closed door events etc or other industries. A lot of event freelancers are working in Covid testing centres, vaccination hubs etc.

I've got Yungblud at Kentish Town at the start of August, does anyone think gigs will go ahead as it doesn't rely on the insurance scheme? I know it's indoors but this Blossoms gig could pave the way for small indoor gigs. 

Also have Bath & Reading Festival in August as well as Slam Dunk, Burn It Down Festival and BMTH in September along with a host of other gigs after that. I was convinced all these would be happening but I'm beginning to become less confident. I suppose only time will tell. Fingers crossed all these will happen!

Edited by foolee

There must be an element that the recognised festival 'circuit' that contractors, performers and others would be used to is now so fragmented with cancellations that it does not become cost effective to put on isolated shows or festivals here and there etc, especially when the option of furlough has been further extended to September. 

Appreciate that furlough does not apply to everyone but mothballing everything until there is more certainty next year might be a far more attractive option.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Copperface said:

There must be an element that the recognised festival 'circuit' that contractors, performers and others would be used to is now so fragmented with cancellations that it does not become cost effective to put on isolated shows or festivals here and there etc, especially when the option of furlough has been further extended to September. 

Appreciate that furlough does not apply to everyone but mothballing everything until there is more certainty next year might be a far more attractive option.

Furlough is flexible at this point so you can take the people you want off furlough for an isolated event then put them back on after. But you're right that there's still the question of it's it's worth the faff.

41 minutes ago, sisco said:

I’ve got The Libertines in July at Rochester Castle (5,000 capacity)

Where are they setting the stage up? I'm intrigued, trying to picture how to get a stage and 5,000 capacity in place in the castle grounds!

1 hour ago, Paul ™ said:

By other work I mean closed door events etc or other industries. A lot of event freelancers are working in Covid testing centres, vaccination hubs etc.

I guess it’s Noisily taking the risk that they won’t be available then. They nearly went bankrupt last year and done a crowdfunder to survive, so not surprised they aren’t signing contracts which aren’t conditional. 

Edited by stuie

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

I guess it’s Noisily taking the risk that they won’t be available then. They nearly went bankrupt last year and done a crowdfunder to survive, so not surprised they aren’t signing contracts which aren’t conditional. 

Am aware of their circumstances and why the crowd funder was needed.

There will be people available, however there is a bigger picture than just some events and freelancers.

BTW I have never said there won't be any work in July

But you amongst a few others on here seemed to think everything would be fine and dandy come post 21st June, I've merely pointed out several times that it won't be and there would be a lot of disappointed ticket holders this summer.. and I'll guarantee there are a good few more to come. 

Edited by Paul ™
Typo

3 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

But you amongst a few others on here seemed to think everything would be fine and dandy come post 21st July, I've merely pointed out several times that it won't be and there would be a lot of disappointed ticket holders this summer.. and I'll guarantee there are a good few more to come. 

I guess you could call it blind optimism 😂 I still have some left too, it’s not over til it’s over! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFullShaboo said:

This is the dilemma. After BeatHerder cancelling this morning my immediate reaction was to look for another alternative. But then whats the point when that cancels, as all that'll happen is ill lose another booking fee on the refund. 

Conversely, if i don't commit, and they do go ahead, there's a very limited chance there'll be any tickets left when its become plainly obvious that its able to go ahead. 

I think day festivals / events are going to be the best compromise. Moovin and Waterworks festival are the two ive gone for. 

I had even considered the non-refunded booking fees!! Great point.

And I agree, day events may be the only hope this summer but even they require an enormous amount of planning and infrastructure.

Now could be the summer of our discontent...

33 minutes ago, sisco said:

29 minutes ago, Maurice Mecca said:

They typically have the stage facing the castle over by the back steps leading down to the river.

Can't see the file pic but that makes sense.  Had to go on google maps to remind myself, been so long since I was there that space was a lot smaller in my mind!

2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Had no idea that Jorja Smith is now big enough to headline festivals

Field Day gave her a first headline status a couple of years back (and it was pretty boring), but she's extremely popular amongst Gen Z music fans. Not sure she could fill the same level of headline venue that Gorillaz or Foals can but it's good to see a female artist up top like that anyway, which can't be said for many festivals this year.

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Oh yeah! So still a few out there. Fingers crossed for you all.

Everything I was thinking of booking got sold out before I could make a decision (and some of them have gone now), so it's just New Order at Heaton Park in September for me that I'm hanging on to. Still have one eye on Green Man but they are taking their time to announce.

I had rebooked tickets/gigs/festivals and flights since early last year mutiple times. If the New Order Heaton Park show does not happen nothing will happen this year I fear. But first I have to get there because this is also a bit uncertain. So really hope to see this concert as concerts in Austria are far more uncertain than this one. So fingers crossed.

7 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

I had rebooked tickets/gigs/festivals and flights since early last year mutiple times. If the New Order Heaton Park show does not happen nothing will happen this year I fear. But first I have to get there because this is also a bit uncertain. So really hope to see this concert as concerts in Austria are far more uncertain than this one. So fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed indeed! I'm hopeful it will happen as September is a long way away...

11 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

DC276259-B996-4E07-B2DC-5960A64A1F2B.jpeg

Not a bad little line up.

All in all, an interesting day - 2 line up drops and a cancellation.

What will tomorrow bring? 😃