Jump to content

Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...


Chrisp1986
 Share

Recommended Posts

I attended ValleyFest at the weekend.  A bloody lovely little festival (I think about 5-10K people) in a stunning location.  Everyone there was in great spirits, the festival had done everything in its power to make it as COVID safe as possible; increased space, two main stages were open to the elements, plenty of toilets and sanitiser and vaccine checks on the way-in.

Only saw a couple of people wearing masks all weekend and I am currently symptom free and LFT is clear.  The music was pretty decent too with every band genuinely happy to be playing live (apart from The Snuts who had a bit of a chip on their shoulder!).  Even saw the great man Michael Eavis on site!

Very happy to be back and looking forward to BD in a few weeks now.

Edited by Maurice Mecca
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Paul ™ said:

Would rather Bearded did what they did and not risk the future of the festival tbh

Think everyone can recognise that Bearded took the correct decision for them based on the information they had available. The fault here is with the Government actively refusing to provide guidance or any type of certainty to Bearded and other event organisers in a useful timescale.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kusy said:

As the campaign spokesperson quote says, this is just spin. There is no new deal, our musicians remain in the same default position as any other non-EU countries.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

As the campaign spokesperson quote says, this is just spin. There is no new deal, our musicians remain in the same default position as any other non-EU countries.

 

Heard an interview on LBC yesterday between Tory-apologist Iain Dale and a representative from the industry. Dale just could not, or would not allow himself to, acknowledge the other guy's constant, repeated position that (a) things are much worse for touring musicians to the EU since Brexit, (b) absolutely nothing has changed in the last few weeks, no negotiations have taken place and the pre-existing, significantly worse arrangements have been in place since January and (c) this is just blatant, disingenuous spun-lies from the Tories in an attempt to claim they have done something, whilst once again failing to own the shit show that their championing of Brexit has produced.

Truly the most duplicitous, deceitful government of my lifetime. And I grew up with Thatcher in power.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone fancies APE on Bank Holiday Monday (Foals/Bombay Bicycle Club/Caribou) - I’m selling our two tickets for £65 each. We ended up going to Latitude and can’t now justify travelling from Liverpool for it, cheers.

Edited by mikegday
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Good news but about 5 months too late 

Runs until September next year. Will save lots of winter productions, tours and provide reassurance to festivals early next year. 
 

could have been set up a few months ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chapple12345 said:

Good news but about 5 months too late 

 

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

Runs until September next year. Will save lots of winter productions, tours and provide reassurance to festivals early next year. 
 

could have been set up a few months ago. 

"The scheme doesn’t, however, cover a festival needing to reduce capacity or cancel due to social distancing restrictions being reintroduced, so it remains imperative that Government continues to work with the sector in areas such as COVID certification to try and avoid such an eventuality and ensure that organisers can plan with increased confidence for 2022.”

hopefully just an oversight...

Good to see steps in the right direction though 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

 

"The scheme doesn’t, however, cover a festival needing to reduce capacity or cancel due to social distancing restrictions being reintroduced, so it remains imperative that Government continues to work with the sector in areas such as COVID certification to try and avoid such an eventuality and ensure that organisers can plan with increased confidence for 2022.”

hopefully just an oversight...

Good to see steps in the right direction though 

 

So what does it cover?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Runs until September next year. Will save lots of winter productions, tours and provide reassurance to festivals early next year. 
 

could have been set up a few months ago. 

*should.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

 

"The scheme doesn’t, however, cover a festival needing to reduce capacity or cancel due to social distancing restrictions being reintroduced, so it remains imperative that Government continues to work with the sector in areas such as COVID certification to try and avoid such an eventuality and ensure that organisers can plan with increased confidence for 2022.”

hopefully just an oversight...

Good to see steps in the right direction though 

 

If the govt basically bans all festival or gig because of high infections.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

If the govt basically bans all festival or gig because of high infections.

But not "restrictions" on them - so my interpretation from what the industry people said on that quote is that none post mid-May would have been covered because technically they COULD have happened, they just needed to have less people and keep them 2 metres apart. Impossible, but they weren't mandated to cancel 

Not one festival this year was actually banned, they just had severe restrictions that made them unviable. The small print could be pretty important here. And actually even if we have winter restrictions, you'd expect them lifted to similar levels as mid May by the time any festival would happen anyway so sounds like it needs that tightening up 

Edited by efcfanwirral
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

 

"The scheme doesn’t, however, cover a festival needing to reduce capacity or cancel due to social distancing restrictions being reintroduced, so it remains imperative that Government continues to work with the sector in areas such as COVID certification to try and avoid such an eventuality and ensure that organisers can plan with increased confidence for 2022.”

hopefully just an oversight...

Good to see steps in the right direction though 

 

So government have produced an insurance scheme that will protect festival organisers in the event they have to cancel due to a general lockdown being imposed but it doesn't help when unlocked with restrictions still imposed, e.g. social distancing, attendance limits, additional testing etc. Provides clarity but there is still a large element of risk being carried by organisers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lycra said:

So government have produced an insurance scheme that will protect festival organisers in the event they have to cancel due to a general lockdown being imposed but it doesn't help when unlocked with restrictions still imposed, e.g. social distancing, attendance limits, additional testing etc. Provides clarity but there is still a large element of risk being carried by organisers. 

Exactly!

Its a token gesture, 6 months too late and inadequate for what it is required for. 

Typical of the Tories to hail this as doing the live events sector a favour...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, mikegday said:

If anyone fancies APE on Bank Holiday Monday (Foals/Bombay Bicycle Club/Caribou) - I’m selling our two tickets for £65 each. We ended up going to Latitude and can’t now justify travelling from Liverpool for it, cheers.

Hey - keen if these are still available! Cheers

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...