Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

17 minutes ago, sisco said:

I’d imagine my last festival (Victorious) will be getting cancelled soon then!

I think the crunch will be when the PM says, we are hoping to end things on July 19th. If he doesn't confirm with absolute certainty then the summer festival season is gone. And I just don't think he will. It'll be 30 mins of explaining rather than yes or no. My August event said they are confident it'll go ahead, but they can't guarantee it.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

I think the crunch will be when the PM says, we are hoping to end things on July 19th. If he doesn't confirm with absolute certainty then the summer festival season is gone. And I just don't think he will. It'll be 30 mins of explaining rather than yes or no. My August event said they are confident it'll go ahead, but they can't guarantee it.

Even if he stands up on 12th July and says 19th is happening, without insurance events can't happen even after that date, because the government still has the power to shut everything down at a moment's notice. And they won't insure events because they can't guarantee they won't do that 

19 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Even if he stands up on 12th July and says 19th is happening, without insurance events can't happen even after that date, because the government still has the power to shut everything down at a moment's notice. And they won't insure events because they can't guarantee they won't do that 

Pretty much this.

I'm on the Womad mailing list too (signed up for a load a while back when thinking I might get to one but never actually bought tickets):

To our WOMAD Family,

Following today's update and the Government’s unwillingness to provide insurance support for festivals, we are very sadly out of time and have no option but to cancel WOMAD 2021.

Peter Gabriel said: “It is with great regret that we are cancelling WOMAD '21 today. Without the simple support of a government insurance scheme or the guarantee of Test Event status, we cannot continue and put WOMAD’s long term future at risk. We feel that our audience, artists, staff, and contractors, who have been amazingly supportive throughout all this, will understand the need for us to act to guarantee our survival."

Since the government decision to extend the Phase 3 restrictions by at least four weeks (to the 19th of July, 72 hours before WOMAD should open its gates) we have been seeking urgent clarification from the DCMS and Public Health England as to what this means for large scale events such as WOMAD. Whilst the Prime Minister and his colleagues say there will be no restrictions on society at that point, we have been unable to get any confirmation of what the plan is. Nor is there any clarity on how what is being learned from the Event Research Programme might affect the guidance for festivals and how they are required to operate.

A few days after that extension the DCMS sought applications from festivals taking place within that extension period to join the next stage of its Event Research Programme. As WOMAD takes place after that period, we did not qualify. Subsequently and on hearing rumours that events outside that period had been granted “Event Research Programme - Test Event” status we immediately applied and contacted the DCMS and have had no response despite repeated requests.

On the BBC news last Friday, we heard that Latitude and Tramlines Festivals have been granted Test Event status on the same weekend as WOMAD which clearly implies that only approved test events will be protected and guaranteed the right to go ahead as normal – even though this flies in the face of the Prime Minister’s statements.

It is the lack of government backed insurance along with these actions that have forced WOMAD to cancel. We have not been asking for financial support; all we have wanted is certainty in the form of insurance against cancellation (that we’d be happy to pay for). We need an understanding of the realities how our industry works and the benefits that we bring. The industry should see equal access to support and a much less opaque way of deciding who gets help. 

It does seem a little bizarre that a five-day camping event at Silverstone is a risk worth taking and independent festivals alas are not. With 140,000 people attending the Silverstone Grand Prix it certainly doesn’t seem to be supported by science – as even Lewis Hamilton has commented.

At WOMAD, we are indebted to our audiences, artists, and suppliers for the love and support we have received, which has only increased as we have tried to climb the mountain that kept growing in front of us.  We hope you will continue to hang in there with us, and as for the options of ticket refunds or rollovers to 2022, we hope as many of you as possible will consider rolling your tickets over to join us next year from 28 - 31st July 2022 - It’s easy, do nothing and your ticket will automatically roll over.

WOMAD 2022 here we come! 

Peter Gabriel and The WOMAD Team x

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm on the Womad mailing list too (signed up for a load a while back when thinking I might get to one but never actually bought tickets):

To our WOMAD Family,

Following today's update and the Government’s unwillingness to provide insurance support for festivals, we are very sadly out of time and have no option but to cancel WOMAD 2021.

Peter Gabriel said: “It is with great regret that we are cancelling WOMAD '21 today. Without the simple support of a government insurance scheme or the guarantee of Test Event status, we cannot continue and put WOMAD’s long term future at risk. We feel that our audience, artists, staff, and contractors, who have been amazingly supportive throughout all this, will understand the need for us to act to guarantee our survival."

Since the government decision to extend the Phase 3 restrictions by at least four weeks (to the 19th of July, 72 hours before WOMAD should open its gates) we have been seeking urgent clarification from the DCMS and Public Health England as to what this means for large scale events such as WOMAD. Whilst the Prime Minister and his colleagues say there will be no restrictions on society at that point, we have been unable to get any confirmation of what the plan is. Nor is there any clarity on how what is being learned from the Event Research Programme might affect the guidance for festivals and how they are required to operate.

A few days after that extension the DCMS sought applications from festivals taking place within that extension period to join the next stage of its Event Research Programme. As WOMAD takes place after that period, we did not qualify. Subsequently and on hearing rumours that events outside that period had been granted “Event Research Programme - Test Event” status we immediately applied and contacted the DCMS and have had no response despite repeated requests.

On the BBC news last Friday, we heard that Latitude and Tramlines Festivals have been granted Test Event status on the same weekend as WOMAD which clearly implies that only approved test events will be protected and guaranteed the right to go ahead as normal – even though this flies in the face of the Prime Minister’s statements.

It is the lack of government backed insurance along with these actions that have forced WOMAD to cancel. We have not been asking for financial support; all we have wanted is certainty in the form of insurance against cancellation (that we’d be happy to pay for). We need an understanding of the realities how our industry works and the benefits that we bring. The industry should see equal access to support and a much less opaque way of deciding who gets help. 

It does seem a little bizarre that a five-day camping event at Silverstone is a risk worth taking and independent festivals alas are not. With 140,000 people attending the Silverstone Grand Prix it certainly doesn’t seem to be supported by science – as even Lewis Hamilton has commented.

At WOMAD, we are indebted to our audiences, artists, and suppliers for the love and support we have received, which has only increased as we have tried to climb the mountain that kept growing in front of us.  We hope you will continue to hang in there with us, and as for the options of ticket refunds or rollovers to 2022, we hope as many of you as possible will consider rolling your tickets over to join us next year from 28 - 31st July 2022 - It’s easy, do nothing and your ticket will automatically roll over.

WOMAD 2022 here we come! 

Really feel so sorry for them, it's gonna be an absolute kick in the teeth if after all this farcical behaviour from the government  the 19th goes ahead and the fest could have happened but as has been said insurance is a big issue. I feel so lucky as I'm going to Latitude but part of me will feel a sense of guilt knowing so many other festivals won't be happening because of the shit treatment and lack of advice to the music sector 

21 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

To our WOMAD Family,

WOMAD 2022 here we come! 

@sisco

This might basically tell us where we stand. Latitude and Tramlines approved, the rest are in the sinking ship for 2022 returns. The 19th July I feel is going to be too late for August.

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

@sisco

This might basically tell us where we stand. Latitude and Tramlines approved, the rest are in the sinking ship for 2022 returns. The 19th July I feel is going to be too late for August.

Reckon Reading and Leeds will be miraculously turned into a test event but will lose half the lineup as there's a fair few international acts on there 

Just now, Chapple12345 said:

Reckon Reading and Leeds will be miraculously turned into a test event but will lose half the lineup as there's a fair few international acts on there 

Yeah, I think R&L is going to end up being halved in size personally so it's much closer to Latitude to go ahead. I think they will offer out to people wo wish to delay their ticket to 2022 in the hope that enough people agree or refund so to speak to bring the numbers down as choosing a lesser amount is impossible.

Reading, regardless of Silverstone won't be able to happen at 90k, I just can't see it. Silverstone will always have that angle that it's a seated event. You aren't jumping at moshing to Stormzy and QOTSA are you lol, or running in circles at Oasis songs.

13 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah, I think R&L is going to end up being halved in size personally so it's much closer to Latitude to go ahead. I think they will offer out to people wo wish to delay their ticket to 2022 in the hope that enough people agree or refund so to speak to bring the numbers down as choosing a lesser amount is impossible.

Reading, regardless of Silverstone won't be able to happen at 90k, I just can't see it. Silverstone will always have that angle that it's a seated event. You aren't jumping at moshing to Stormzy and QOTSA are you lol, or running in circles at Oasis songs.

Silverstone is also a massive camping event though. I think we are back on track by August. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, BrizzleRob said:

Also booked in at Victorious in the blind hope that some still get to go ahead towards the end of the festival season. Fingers crossed!

Victorious is not a camping festival and everything finishes at 11pm so it maybe more straight forward and manageable - I think it is more likely to be going ahead than not.