Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

50 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

So glad I went for it when Oxfam released more stewarding places a few weeks ago. Could end up being my only festival this year. Wouldn't be my first choice, but needs must. 

I've been a few times but only really because a group of friends go, but even then I haven't been since around 2018 as it wasn't my favourite of places and it's a pig to get to for me (6/7 hours), but as you say, needs must. 

If Lekkido and Mik A were the headliners I'd still probably seize the opportunity to get out and see some music and sink a few ciders in the rain with some mates.

16 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Yes, one of the drawbacks with another pilot festi being allowed to proceed is that it might be waved an excuse for a lack of progress over the issues that affect the rest...

Thats exactly what it is - how long after - 2-3 weeks for the results if they even bother to publish them? Reading added as a final "bigger" test event, results mid September so all others cancel due to no certainty, schools go back then oh sorry, nhs is in trouble so winter lockdown and booster jabs. What's left next late spring/summer then?

That isn't a far fetched scenario considering what we're seeing play out 

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I've been a few times but only really because a group of friends go, but even then I haven't been since around 2018 as it wasn't my favourite of places and it's a pig to get to for me (6/7 hours), but as you say, needs must. 

If Lekkido and Mik A were the headliners I'd still probably seize the opportunity to get out and see some music and sink a few ciders in the rain with some mates.

I was at the last one (my only one) and it was fine, but I didn't love it the way I do with my favourite festivals. And same, its 6+ hours for me too. I am still excited for it though. Honest.

27 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Thats exactly what it is - how long after - 2-3 weeks for the results if they even bother to publish them? Reading added as a final "bigger" test event, results mid September so all others cancel due to no certainty, schools go back then oh sorry, nhs is in trouble so winter lockdown and booster jabs. What's left next late spring/summer then?

That isn't a far fetched scenario considering what we're seeing play out 

Ah yes, forgot about Reading being under Benn's umbrella too. Being raised in the news today as well when all these testing pilot results are actually going to be published.

From a BBC report on Professor Neil Ferguson's resignation:

Prof Ferguson, whose advice to the prime minister led to the UK lockdown, said he regretted "undermining" the messages on social distancing.

The Telegraph reported that a woman he was said to be in a relationship with visited his home in lockdown.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said it was "extraordinary" and that he "took the right decision to resign".

He told Sky News that it was "just not possible" for Prof Ferguson to continue advising the government.

Mr Hancock said the social distancing rules "are there for everyone" and are "deadly serious".

This is the full data that we were discussing yesterday about what would make people more/less likely to attend an event - nabbed from the link in the report. The really scary thing for promoters is that it looks like you'll lose a big chunk of audience regardless of what you do. And indoor standing gigs would seem to be in real trouble if this data is true: 

image.png.d4ac1da21277ef3c650dfccf922854d4.png

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

James o brien has been discussing all this on LBC this morning- he's on the side of what you're saying and what others were saying yesterday  - that it's got to be malicious to so utterly destroy an industry (this and the brexit thing)

Q. Perhaps if we all promise to sing the the One Britain One Nation song (but with our fingers crossed behind our backs) instead of O Jeremy Corbyn they might relent?

Ans. No you follicly challenged idiot - of course they won't! They're a bunch of philistine morons!

25 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

This is the full data that we were discussing yesterday about what would make people more/less likely to attend an event - nabbed from the link in the report. The really scary thing for promoters is that it looks like you'll lose a big chunk of audience regardless of what you do. And indoor standing gigs would seem to be in real trouble if this data is true: 

The only one that would stop me was if I had to spend an extra 2 hours at the venue. Especially if some of that time was after the gig

35 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Who were they asking though? People who generally go to standing gigs, or the population as a whole? You ask the 80% of people who never see live music, during a pandemic, whether they would go to an event without social distancing, obviously the vast majority will say no. You ask the 20% of people who have been going to gigs for years, after everyone is double vaxxed would you go back to attending events like you used to, the vast majority will say yes. No problems for the future of standing gigs as far as I can see.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Do we know the make up of those being asked? Are they regular gig goers? I'd love to see data from the same questions asked of people as they left the Download pilot!

I don't know where I am now. I had four festivals booked this summer at various points - G, Boomtown, Shambala and Green Man (booked in that order).

Only Green Man left, and I am entirely uncertain as to my levels of optimism/pessimism. I guess the one saving grace is that, cautious as he seems, Drakeford is in no way the cock that Johnson is.

BUT...then cancelled Shambala and Boomtown BOTH go and create and offer to me mini-versions of themselves for the same weekends they would have been on. What does that mean?! Is it that they can afford to develop these events and then not lose massively if forced to cancel? It certainly isn't because they know that these new events are absolutely guaranteed - there are no indications to suggest there'll be a differential plan for events of different sizes (not that we know anyway), if 19 July (or whatever) doesn't lead to lifting of all legal restrictions.

I know that people are annoyed at the ERP results finally coming out but there being no guidance - but these arseholes were never going to do that, were they? Delay in publishing the results was almost without question as they demonstrated negligible risk and so undermines the decision to extend unlocking for four weeks. They were never going to change the rules for one sector before 5 July at the earliest (don't hold your breath). 

I'm ranting now, so I shall bugger off. I really need not to be thinking about this shit all the time. I'm at the end of a shitty week's leave, taken for Glastonbury, Mrs Benny at work all week, so we couldn't even do stuff together. I'm tired of this shit now.

Ben
x

19 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I don't know where I am now. I had four festivals booked this summer at various points - G, Boomtown, Shambala and Green Man (booked in that order).

Only Green Man left, and I am entirely uncertain as to my levels of optimism/pessimism. I guess the one saving grace is that, cautious as he seems, Drakeford is in no way the cock that Johnson is.

How does Green Man possibly get around this from Drakeford earlier?

20 minutes ago, Copperface said:

How does Green Man possibly get around this from Drakeford earlier?

Just looked at the Wales CV dashboard.

Average daily number of hospital admissions with COVID-19 related conditions for week of 17 June was 9. This was a massive increase from the previous week's average. Which was 8!

There probably will be a 'peak' in the number of admissions (and so deaths) in August, for this third wave. But it looks like it will be 'tiny' comparatively, and compared to other causes of illness and death. As of 14 June, nearly 60% of adults in Wales fully vaccinated, nearly 90% single vaccinated. On 23 May an estimated 83% of over-16s in Wales had COIVID-19 antibodies. Green Man is eight weeks away. Two months! I do not believe that, barring some new occurrence of enormous impact, there will be public health justification for any legal restrictions being in place in Wales in August.*

Ben

*which means bugger all in reality, I acknowledge.

21 minutes ago, mpdow2 said:

anyone know if Latitude will get sold out? Trying to round up some people. 

BBC news reporting it’s a test event that will go ahead for the next phase so i expect it will sell out shortly.