Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

I agree with @Zoo Music Girl, we can't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Roughly 1% of the population has covid atm, so you'd expect roughly 400 of the 40,000 Latitude attendees to have the virus (On one hand, it may be < 1% as the attendees might be careful for the previous ten days. On the other hand, those choosing to attend a festival may be naturally more risk-takers so we could have > 1% prevalence)

You'd hope that the majority of the 400 who test positive on the LFT's would go ahead and own up rather than try to fake it. There will be some who will fake the LFT, but it's better to catch most of the cases and go ahead with an overall reduced risk than to cancel the event altogether surely.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Sample size of 1, but as a double jabbed Latitude goer I’m still taking an LFT before I leave tomorrow even though it’s not in my interests to. I’d like to think most people will do the same. Don’t massively like the idea of being personally responsible for an outbreak.

I've packed another one to take before I come back, too. Don't want to unnecessarily transmit it to anyone I bump into on the way home or when I get home

2 minutes ago, foolee said:

Even if some goers did fake the system to get in would the virus even spread due to the majority of the festival being outside? 

I was thinking this. If you're really that worried, just don't go in any small tents.

I'm sure even the comedy tent will be fine (it's huge).

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've packed another one to take before I come back, too. Don't want to unnecessarily transmit it to anyone I bump into on the way home or when I get home

I’m taking the train so not sure what I can do there. It’s not as if I can stay in Latitude if I test positive. LFT and PCR when I get home though, and not going out till they’re both negative.

It's a strange old world.  As a child I was labelled Pikey Scum by some of my classmates and their parents due to the fact I lived in a caravan with my mum and dad.  Many years later I'm now part of a group being referred to as Elite Tory Scum because I'm going to a (admittedly middle class) festival this weekend.  

I suppose that the Scum part has stayed a constant throughout most of my life though 😃

43 minutes ago, Homer said:

I was thinking this. If you're really that worried, just don't go in any small tents.

I'm sure even the comedy tent will be fine (it's huge).

Yeah I was thinking the same, Latitude seem to have gotten rid of several completely indoor stages and spaced out some of the other arenas too so there's more space and the tents left are usually pretty well ventilated so I imagine it won't be as bad 

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On a similar note we've received guidance from Shambala's Camp Kin event saying we will need to do LFTs beforehand. For that they just want us to register the result online and then bring the NHS text or email as proof. Also very open to abuse but I think this is all more about the event organisers looking to be seen to do something than anything.

Which was exactly what was going on at Wembley for the England games....

Slamtent, a 3 day dance music event by Fly Open Air in Edinburgh that was scheduled to happen on “the first day it was allowed” which eventually settled on August 22nd has just been rescheduled to March 2022 due to lack of clarity from ScotGov on whether it would be able to go ahead. 

Says in their statement that there’s no advice for large scale events like it.

832E2D53-4BEC-41AD-8AB2-ACCAB978BA10.jpeg

Fatboy tonight is recommendation of lateral flows … all done and all clear for me and friends … I’m not sure it’s gonna be capacity … as I’m sure some nervous people may not turn up and the tickets can’t really be resold and a new ventilation for cheese and grain which changes air every 6 mins sounds good 🙂 

Edited by crazyfool1

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Fatboy tonight is recommendation of lateral flows … all done and all clear for me and friends … I’m not sure it’s gonna be capacity … as I’m sure some nervous people may not turn up and the tickets can’t really be resold and a new ventilation for cheese and grain which changes air every 6 mins sounds good 🙂 

i've no idea why improving ventilation hasn't been a bigger concern, offering grants to businesses to install better systems 

21 minutes ago, august1 said:

i've no idea why improving ventilation hasn't been a bigger concern, offering grants to businesses to install better systems 

To be honest there was a case for that even before the pandemic. That there wasn't legislation passed for it 6+ months ago is a disgrace.

16 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

How was it? 😃

OutCider is going ahead - sold out but there's a waitlist for returns they're getting through. We've had to drop out due to a friend's wedding being rescheduled the same weekend. Lovely little festival if you've never been. Imagine the Avalon area at Glastonbury with the cider bus dropped in.

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

With so many events / festivals going ahead it does make the panning of the September event at Worthy Farm sting a little bit more!

So happy for all of those taking the plunge.

It does … we will never know the things /thing that made them pull the plug … 

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It does … we will never know the things /thing that made them pull the plug … 

If the Foo Fighters rumor was true, then it could be as simple as international travel uncertainty.

1 minute ago, incident said:

If the Foo Fighters rumor was true, then it could be as simple as international travel uncertainty.

I wouldn't buy that though, there are plenty of British based acts capable of headlining so they could simply replace them, I reckon it was logistics of it so close to the event