Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

It's always going to be a personal consideration. What is acceptable to one may be horrifying to another. There is no right or wrong in that and we all need to be respectful of one another's choices. Saying that, it is important that policy is based on data and not feelings. As an almost pointless, anecdotal example - my next-door neighbour became mildly symptomatic on Thursday. He feels a bit rough. He's OK, pottering about and doing stuff, but a bit under the weather. He's positive. He's double AZ vaccinated. He's 74. Yes, this is what we often refer to disparagingly as an n=1 study, but it's an indication. 

Young, double vaccinated, healthy people are overwhelmingly likely to be asymptomatic or only mildly affected should they contract CV, delta or any other current variant. On that basis, many will decide that they can manage that risk, and return to pre-pandemic activities.

Ben

Thanks Ben this helps me loads for my gig at cheese and grain tomoro anxiety is there for sure and I kinda needed to see something like this 🙂 although I’m not young anymore 🙂 

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

We should pin this for anyone nervous about the current scenario. Absolutely spot-on. Facts, with zero bias, clearly put.  Ever thought of a career in healthcare Ben? 😉

Ha! Ooh, no - couldn't cope with those hours.

Out of upvotes so a virtual ⬆️

Ben

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Thanks Ben this helps me loads for my gig at cheese and grain tomoro anxiety is there for sure and I kinda needed to see something like this 🙂 

My pleasure. I'd hate for anyone to think that I was presenting anything I say as 'gospel', but I have realised over the last 18 months just how hard it is for people to navigate this stuff, especially the stats etc. So, if I can offer what I hope is an objective perspective at times, it's the least I can do.

Who are you seeing? I'm a bit of a groupie to a post-rock band from the Frome area and saw them at the C&G a few years ago - drove all the way down from the Midlands on a school night just for the gig and regretted nothing.

Ben

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

My pleasure. I'd hate for anyone to think that I was presenting anything I say as 'gospel', but I have realised over the last 18 months just how hard it is for people to navigate this stuff, especially the stats etc. So, if I can offer what I hope is an objective perspective at times, it's the least I can do.

Who are you seeing? I'm a bit of a groupie to a post-rock band from the Frome area and saw them at the C&G a few years ago - drove all the way down from the Midlands on a school night just for the gig and regretted nothing.

Ben

Fatboy slim 🙂 reopening night party .. grabbed some last minute tickets yesterday … and then wondered what the hell have I just done with the anxiety … double jabbed with Pfizer .. but if it’s gonna be around and we are all gonna get it … I need to deal with anxiety fairly soon as more of a priority if that makes sense .. so went sod it let’s go for it .. Im llateral flow testing in the run up and will be after .. so I’m not risking anyone else too much and I’m pretty hooked into distancing and wear a mask at work without fail 

Edited by crazyfool1

3 hours ago, El Matador said:

I'm curious as to what the answer would be if you're suggesting it's not safe for a club full of vaccinated people to dance? 

If this isn't safe then presumably it'll never be safe and so mass events, Glastonbury included, should cease to exist? 

It's as safe as it can be if everyone going in has had a chance to be double vaccinated. If not, then they are opening up to problems, and when they come it'll have been known. That's my view anyway.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Fatboy slim 🙂 reopening night party .. grabbed some last minute tickets yesterday … and then wondered what the hell have I just done with the anxiety … double jabbed with Pfizer .. but if it’s gonna be around and we are all gonna get it … I need to deal with anxiety fairly soon as more of a priority if that makes sense .. so went sod it let’s go for it .. Im llateral flow testing in the run up and will be after .. so I’m not risking anyone else too much and I’m pretty hooked into distancing and wear a mask at work without fail 

Norman, in a venue that small. After a year and a half of gig starvation. It's. Gonna. Go. Off.

Have a brilliant, safe time.

Ben

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

It's always going to be a personal consideration. What is acceptable to one may be horrifying to another. There is no right or wrong in that and we all need to be respectful of one another's choices. Saying that, it is important that policy is based on data and not feelings. As an almost pointless, anecdotal example - my next-door neighbour became mildly symptomatic on Thursday. He feels a bit rough. He's OK, pottering about and doing stuff, but a bit under the weather. He's positive. He's double AZ vaccinated. He's 74. Yes, this is what we often refer to disparagingly as an n=1 study, but it's an indication. 

Young, double vaccinated, healthy people are overwhelmingly likely to be asymptomatic or only mildly affected should they contract CV, delta or any other current variant. On that basis, many will decide that they can manage that risk, and return to pre-pandemic activities.

Ben

Cheers for your comment.

One of the points I made in my previous post and you missed out entirely in yours is a concern about household. Should I unfortunately contract CV and return home, symptomatic or not, then what will happen?

I know, ultimately it is a question I have to give an answer for and make a decision by myself.

5 minutes ago, zzzfest said:

Cheers for your comment.

One of the points I made in my previous post and you missed out entirely in yours is a concern about household. Should I unfortunately contract CV and return home, symptomatic or not, then what will happen?

I know, ultimately it is a question I have to give an answer for and make a decision by myself.

Absolutely, and apologies for not picking up on that point. Yes, you're absolutely correct. Again, it's part of a personal risk assessment. One of one's considerations should unquestionably be the possibility of introducing infection to personal contacts (family, household or otherwise) who are vulnerable. A colleague of mine is double vaccinated and has a vulnerable, vaccinated adult daughter at home. Her perspective on personal activities is, appropriately and understandably, considerably different to mine, as I am fortunate not to have to factor that in. 

It's about being informed with the best available factual information and forming one's own model from that. More complex for some compared to others.

Ben
x

Think my anxiety levels may have been reduced tenfold by @bennyhana22 calm & considered postings above - thank you. 

Heading to Latitude tomorrow - an actual festival for the 1st time in nearly 2 years😁 - having swung from being extremely excited to extremely apprehensive almost hourly for the past few months.

Right now, this minute, I'm pretty excited 🕺🎶💜

19 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

Think my anxiety levels may have been reduced tenfold by @bennyhana22 calm & considered postings above - thank you. 

Heading to Latitude tomorrow - an actual festival for the 1st time in nearly 2 years😁 - having swung from being extremely excited to extremely apprehensive almost hourly for the past few months.

Right now, this minute, I'm pretty excited 🕺🎶💜

Just spoken to my type 1 diabetic , diabetes nurse sister , and she’s told me to go for it … vaccines work for these variants … who knows what the future brings … as safe as I’m going to be … I’m type 1 too … so you should be lower risk than me 🙂 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just spoken to my type 1 diabetic , diabetes nurse sister , and she’s told me to go for it … vaccines work for these variants … who knows what the future brings … as safe as I’m going to be … I’m type 1 too … so you should be lower risk than me 🙂 

My risk isn't the worry, it's my comprised immune system partner, if it was just me I'd be running straight in to that mosh pit & hugging all the strangers 😅😅

Have the best time at Fatboy, it really will be off the frickin chain, old Norm is awesome at any time but this is going to be something special, dance your little socks off!

8 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

My risk isn't the worry, it's my comprised immune system partner, if it was just me I'd be running straight in to that mosh pit & hugging all the strangers 😅😅

Have the best time at Fatboy, it really will be off the frickin chain, old Norm is awesome at any time but this is going to be something special, dance your little socks off!

And you at latitude 🙂 … think I’ve forgotten how to dance … actually that’s a lie I never could to start with … 😜but give it a damn good go 

This is the procedure for Oxfam volunteers for latitude, photos of the tests and your id so difficult to fake. 

Oxfam COVID-19 Testing Procedure 

You are required to take a lateral flow test (LFT) before you arrive and share the results with us to prove that you do not carry the virus. You can order tests online for free HERE or you can ask at your local pharmacy for a pack. You can find your nearest pharmacy HERE.

The test must be carried out on TUESDAY 20th July between 4pm and 10pm

Please can we ask you to do the test as close as possible to 4pm and email it through to us as soon as it is complete.  This will enable us to do as much checking as possible during Tuesday evening – which will be a big help! 

In order for this to be valid we need you to follow the instructions below. This should take around 30 minutes:

- Take a picture of the test next to your photo ID (which shows your name and face) before taking the test. This needs to show your ID alongside the LFT so that the digits underneath the QR code can be read in the picture.

- Take the test as per the instruction booklet and wait the 30 minutes required to show the result.

- Upload your results to the official NHS website HERE. Please make sure to fill in your email address to get a copy of the record.

- Take a picture of your ID alongside the completed test, again making sure the digits underneath the QR code are legible.

- If your test is negative, forward your NHS email confirming your negative test result with the subject line "Latitude LFT Results" to us at festivals@oxfam.org.uk and attach the before and after pictures of the LFT with your photo ID. Please you send just one email, with the subject line above. 

- If your test is positive, please forward the NHS email confirming this test result and attach the before and after pictures of your test to festivals@oxfam.org.uk and we will cancel your place. You will need to self isolate in line with government guidance 

Please make sure you email your proof on Tuesday evening before 10pm, otherwise you will not be granted access to site. As mentioned above, please do this as soon as you possibly can on Tuesday. 

5 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

This is the procedure for Oxfam volunteers for latitude, photos of the tests and your id so difficult to fake. 

You could just not swab yourself and stick the solution on the LFT for a guaranteed negative test ..

Not saying anyone should do this but not exactly fool proof for anyone trying to rig it.

The test events you had could to go to a centre and do a supervised test, or take it via skype with someone watching.

7 hours ago, august1 said:

You could just not swab yourself and stick the solution on the LFT for a guaranteed negative test ..

Not saying anyone should do this but not exactly fool proof for anyone trying to rig it.

The test events you had could to go to a centre and do a supervised test, or take it via skype with someone watching.

You could also still get someone else to do the test but just take a photo before and after next to your ID. Saying that I can't think of a foolproof way for them to do these. I guess it's just about the least risky option.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You could also still get someone else to do the test but just take a photo before and after next to your ID. Saying that I can't think of a foolproof way for them to do these. I guess it's just about the least risky option.

Honestly if any crowd is going to be honest about their results it will be Latitudes, the crowd is always so lovely and caring so whilst there's an element of risk I don't think people would try and cheat the system - I mean if they did what would the outcome be? Potential outbreak from the festival and the government bascially turn round and go 'you're a superspreader event, no events until its totally safe' - as Festival Republic have been responsible for  Sefton Park and Download (and are determined to get R+L on) they'll keep it as safe as possible so I think it'll be alright 

7 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Oxfam COVID-19 Testing Procedure 

That's slightly different from some of of the other workers procedures.  I've got to take a photo of the test next to my face.  Still the same issues with people faking it if they choose.  I've also got to go to a 30 minute talk when I arrive, and I've had to read all sorts of things around making sure I'm aware of electricity around the site if setting up tents and structures.  I'm going as press, so not sure quite why all that last bit is strictly necessary.  Apparently we also get a wristband that will be scanned around the site, to make sure our test status is up to date, and that we've filled in the daily questionnaire.

They're taking it seriously!

7 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Honestly if any crowd is going to be honest about their results it will be Latitudes, the crowd is always so lovely and caring so whilst there's an element of risk I don't think people would try and cheat the system - I mean if they did what would the outcome be? Potential outbreak from the festival and the government bascially turn round and go 'you're a superspreader event, no events until its totally safe' - as Festival Republic have been responsible for  Sefton Park and Download (and are determined to get R+L on) they'll keep it as safe as possible so I think it'll be alright 

Yeah I agree it's not that likely people will cheat it. There's no way to make it foolproof other than test people themselves at the gate which just isn't feasible.

Doesn't that produce a void result on the LFTs?

22 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

It's a strange one - I'm surprised the events have been allowed before they can use two jab proof, and maybe if they could go back they'd have done things differently. I still feel there could be some sort of u turn the next couple of weeks, with events then being given the choice of whether to use vaccine proof only or not happen. Such an easy thing for them to do in the face of their mess ups around reopening 

24 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I agree it's not that likely people will cheat it. There's no way to make it foolproof other than test people themselves at the gate which just isn't feasible.

Yeah exactly, and in Latitudes case getting 40,000 PCR tests done just isn't feasible as well considering the time frame they need to be done in and the capacity for testing needed, I wouldn't be surprised if most people just choose vaccination status instead as you're essentially guaranteed entry then rather than risking a test 

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's a strange one - I'm surprised the events have been allowed before they can use two jab proof, and maybe if they could go back they'd have done things differently. I still feel there could be some sort of u turn the next couple of weeks, with events then being given the choice of whether to use vaccine proof only or not happen. Such an easy thing for them to do in the face of their mess ups around reopening 

Yeah I reckon end of August they'll need proof of vaccination or testing before moving onto their original plan of vaccination only by the end of September 

Edited by Chapple12345

On a similar note we've received guidance from Shambala's Camp Kin event saying we will need to do LFTs beforehand. For that they just want us to register the result online and then bring the NHS text or email as proof. Also very open to abuse but I think this is all more about the event organisers looking to be seen to do something than anything.

20 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On a similar note we've received guidance from Shambala's Camp Kin event saying we will need to do LFTs beforehand. For that they just want us to register the result online and then bring the NHS text or email as proof. Also very open to abuse but I think this is all more about the event organisers looking to be seen to do something than anything.

Ultimately whatever system put in will be open to abuse but it's about taking reasonable steps to minimise that risk. 

Even elite athletes with the strictest testing regime in the world for performance enhancing drugs can find ways round it.