Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just seen loads of the old school raver/clubbing pages I follow on Facebook losing their shit about needing two jabs to get into nightclubs.

Gotta say, not completely shocked to see a load of people who spent their formative years doing class As developing paranoia/conspiracy issues.

“and other big events by end of September”

looks like it could be mandatory for festivals? Should have been relaxed by next summer in theory, but I thought it would be over by May 2019 so don’t ask me 

Just now, Old_Johno said:

looks like it could be mandatory for festivals? Should have been relaxed by next summer in theory, but I thought it would be over by May 2019 so don’t ask me 

Very Nostradamus of you 😉

9 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Yeah, haha. Last March at the lockdown announcement, I was looking at the calendar counting the weeks until my May weekend break in Ibiza wondering whether the pandemic would be over by then.

ive currently miscalculated by 14 months haha.

17 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

If it allays your fear at all, there was mass crowding under tents during spells of rain, long queues for tightly-packed shuttles, and they only had a 48hr negative test requirement rather than a more useful 24hrs — which the organisers admitted was a fuck-up.

A botched test, basically.

16 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yep everything said here plus - they classified vaccinated as anyone who'd had one jab...immediately after they'd had it. Outdoors you'll be fine

16 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I was going to post this. That's a massive number and they reduced to time previous from 40 hours down to 24 hours which I believe means that a PCR test or covid test isn't guaranteed to get back to you in time. Only the LFT is which is silly anyway. 

Also it's no coincidence that the British cases soared through the roof within the 4 days following the final of the euros.

Many thanks for your comments.

For all the inappropriate measures that shouldn’t have been taken at the Dutch festival, worries still remain there.

Do all these people reveling in their freedom in nightclubs and gigs not have slightest concerns that may go beyond themselves, family members who don’t share interest with them having to isolate as well if things turn out wrong, I wonder?

1 minute ago, zzzfest said:

For all the inappropriate measures that shouldn’t have been taken at the Dutch festival, worries still remain there.

Do all these people reveling in their freedom in nightclubs and gigs not have slightest concerns that may go beyond themselves, family members who don’t share interest with them having to isolate as well if things turn out wrong, I wonder?

In the UK, most older people should be vaxxed. So if younger people want to risk clubs, up to them 

15 hours ago, Homer said:

Just seen loads of the old school raver/clubbing pages I follow on Facebook losing their shit about needing two jabs to get into nightclubs.

Gotta say, not completely shocked to see a load of people who spent their formative years doing class As developing paranoia/conspiracy issues.

Yea but you would say that cus you are paid by the illuminati to spread this kind of misinformation

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

In the UK, most older people should be vaxxed. So if younger people want to risk clubs, up to them 

Hope so...

The problem is, even double vaccination is not effective enough against Covid, especially AZ which is reported to be appx 60% effective, more or less.

Let’s see what will happen (or not, hopefully) next few weeks.

7 minutes ago, zzzfest said:

Hope so...

The problem is, even double vaccination is not effective enough against Covid, especially AZ which is reported to be appx 60% effective, more or less.

I'm curious as to what the answer would be if you're suggesting it's not safe for a club full of vaccinated people to dance? 

If this isn't safe then presumably it'll never be safe and so mass events, Glastonbury included, should cease to exist? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, El Matador said:

I'm curious as to what the answer would be if you're suggesting it's not safe for a club full of vaccinated people to dance? 

If this isn't safe then presumably it'll never be safe and so mass events, Glastonbury included, should cease to exist? 

I don’t have a concrete answer myself, obviously.

All I can do is see how things are going for the time being.

48 minutes ago, zzzfest said:

It's an interesting one. I wouldn't even consider Latitude if I still lived at my Dad's place, or had to see him in those couple of weeks after. He's a healthy just under mid 60s, but i feel the same that we're not even close to out of it. We're taking what we believe is our one and only chance to properly escape iy all this summer but morally it's not exactly above board imo - it's incredibly selfish and indulgent. We'll mitigate the best we can but we still need to get the train back etc.

Edited by efcfanwirral

30 minutes ago, zzzfest said:

Hope so...

I’m pretty sure the reported effectiveness of AZ against the delta variant is 90%+.

30 minutes ago, zzzfest said:

Hope so...

Just out of curiosity where did you get the 60% figure for the AZ double jab? Most of the numbers I have seen have suggested 92-96% for two shots (after the 2 week period).

"Real world data from PHE, published as a pre-print, demonstrated two doses of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca are 92% effective against hospitalisation due to the Delta variant and showed no deaths among those vaccinated. The vaccine also showed a high level of effectiveness against the Alpha variant (B.1.1.7; formerly the ‘Kent’ variant) with an 86% reduction of hospitalisations and no deaths reported".

Source: astrazeneca.com - 15/06/21

That's good enough for me. See you in the fields and on the floor...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

"Real world data from PHE, published as a pre-print, demonstrated two doses of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca are 92% effective against hospitalisation due to the Delta variant and showed no deaths among those vaccinated. The vaccine also showed a high level of effectiveness against the Alpha variant (B.1.1.7; formerly the ‘Kent’ variant) with an 86% reduction of hospitalisations and no deaths reported".

stewart-lee-facts.gif?1622727161

32 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Just out of curiosity where did you get the 60% figure for the AZ double jab? Most of the numbers I have seen have suggested 92-96% for two shots (after the 2 week period).

UK GOV website for instance (22/05/2021). They say 60% (2 doses against Indian variant).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vaccines-highly-effective-against-b-1-617-2-variant-after-2-doses

But, yeah, I did a quick search and some information source says something like 90%.

What’s to rely on, really?

46 minutes ago, gibble said:

I think the 60% is against symptomatic disease (rather than hospitalisation)

Ah, now I know what you mean. 

The GOV UK clearly states “60% against symptomatic disease”. As far as I understand, while AZ is effective enough to keep most people from going bad as to the extent that they need to be hospitalized (90%, more or less), it only protects people from being infected by coronavirus (i.e. Indian — Delta — variant) up to 60%. Am I correct?

If so...worrying enough for me.

Edited by zzzfest

3 hours ago, zzzfest said:

Hope so...

No, AZ is quoted as being 92% effective against hospitalisation. It is established that becoming infected (or less likely, re-infected) after double vaccination with AZ or Pfizer is possible, especially with the delta variant. However, on a population level, vaccination has reduced the risk of this to not more than mild illness in almost all cases. Translated, that means that if you're vaccinated, you now have the choice to accept what many would consider a perfectly reasonable level of risk, by going into environments where there is a known likelihood of some transmission.

As things stand, that makes clubbing, gigging and other indoor activities for the double vaccinated an 'acceptable risk' for most/many who would have done that stuff pre-pandemic. It's important to look at personal risk-stratification now in a post-vaccination model. It is almost pointless to look at it and the daily figures with any reference to, say, autumn 2020.

Ben

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Sorry, @Supernintendo Chalmers - jumping on your coattails there as I responded before reading to the end of the thread - always fraught with danger!

Ben

2 hours ago, zzzfest said:

Ah, now I know what you mean. 

The GOV UK clearly states “60% against symptomatic disease”. As far as I understand, while AZ is effective enough to keep most people from going bad as to the extent that they need to be hospitalized (90%, more or less), it only protects people from being infected by coronavirus (i.e. Indian — Delta — variant) up to 60%. Am I correct?

If so...worrying enough for me.

It's always going to be a personal consideration. What is acceptable to one may be horrifying to another. There is no right or wrong in that and we all need to be respectful of one another's choices. Saying that, it is important that policy is based on data and not feelings. As an almost pointless, anecdotal example - my next-door neighbour became mildly symptomatic on Thursday. He feels a bit rough. He's OK, pottering about and doing stuff, but a bit under the weather. He's positive. He's double AZ vaccinated. He's 74. Yes, this is what we often refer to disparagingly as an n=1 study, but it's an indication. 

Young, double vaccinated, healthy people are overwhelmingly likely to be asymptomatic or only mildly affected should they contract CV, delta or any other current variant. On that basis, many will decide that they can manage that risk, and return to pre-pandemic activities.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

No, AZ is quoted as being 92% effective against hospitalisation. It is established that becoming infected (or less likely, re-infected) after double vaccination with AZ or Pfizer is possible, especially with the delta variant. However, on a population level, vaccination has reduced the risk of this to not more than mild illness in almost all cases. Translated, that means that if you're vaccinated, you now have the choice to accept what many would consider a perfectly reasonable level of risk, by going into environments where there is a known likelihood of some transmission.

As things stand, that makes clubbing, gigging and other indoor activities for the double vaccinated an 'acceptable risk' for most/many who would have done that stuff pre-pandemic. It's important to look at personal risk-stratification now in a post-vaccination model. It is almost pointless to look at it and the daily figures with any reference to, say, autumn 2020.

Ben

We should pin this for anyone nervous about the current scenario. Absolutely spot-on. Facts, with zero bias, clearly put.  Ever thought of a career in healthcare Ben? 😉