Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

23 hours ago, parsonjack said:

No I'm not saying that.  I'm well aware that a negative result is potentially a false negative, which is not the same as the test 'failing, and that I may be infected.  The potential for false negatives is around 52% I think, but it's generally down to the sensitivity of the test and inability to detect very low levels of viral load rather than test 'failure'.  With that in mind I view multiple tests as the way to mitigate this occurring.  

I have a ticket for Fat Boy Slim at Frome Cheese & Grain on Wednesday night and we are very carefully considering risk to ourselves, although both double vaccinated, and the risk to the likely high number of younger possibly unjabbed or one-dosed that will be there.  We don't want to miss this,  but with the potential for LFTs to be unreliable we certainly won't be relying on a single test and being 'good to go'.  Both of us currently have no symptoms,but we will now be doing LFTs daily from tomorrow (Sat) until Weds to be confident we are sure as we can be that we pose no risk to others.  We'll also be wearing our masks and staying in uncrowded areas of the venue, moving regularly to also limit our exposure time to anyone near us in the remote chance that we are infectious.  Obviously not everyone else may be so diligent, but it's then their conscience to bear that weight.

I get all your points and what you are doing. Ultimately though if a LFT can fail once because if it's inaccuracy, it's exactly that, inaccurate.

I'm not slating you for getting it done at all. The difference whereby a covid or PCR test is a case of you get the real deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I get all your points and what you are doing. Ultimately though if a LFT can fail once because if it's inaccuracy, it's exactly that, inaccurate.

I'm not slating you for getting it done at all. The difference whereby a covid or PCR test is a case of you get the real deal.

Better LFTs is the answer. Wonder if any Tory donors have the expertise for that...

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Better LFTs is the answer. Wonder if any Tory donors have the expertise for that...

Absolutely....and it seems there are studies ongoing at present between Kings College and Guys Hospital to do exactly that.  How long it will take to filter through to the actual tests available to the public is anyone's guess though. 

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah I get yours too.  LFTs are inaccurate there's little argument there, and of course if PCRs were quicker and cheaper that's the better option. It's just not a viable option at present to the general population who have a conscience but not a bottomless wallet.  Hence why we're trying to mitigate the LFT issues by multiple tests over a few days in the hope any viral load we may have would increase and become detectible. 

18 hours ago, parsonjack said:

That's a pity.  It sold out in 10 mins a few weeks back and apparently there is a massive wait list for any cancellations, which there may be a few.

Pop over to Frome if you get chance though....Cheap St and Catherine Hill especially are full of little independent shops, cafes, bars and coffee stops

Not sure how long you'll be around for but if you're still in the area Friday 30th we have a new night market event that sounds like it might be fun, music, food, junk......you'll be very welcome 😊

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRGywgFtIw2/?utm_medium=twitter

My wife and I popped into Frome earlier in the week and can second this recommendation.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Not a huge amount for me there but I do like the Mysterines and would say they're worth a listen. Can't vouch for them live as I've only discovered them in the past year! 

Liking the line up...a lot of it is my cup of tea. Quite a few bands from abroad though, wonder if they'll make it...

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Liking the line up...a lot of it is my cup of tea. Quite a few bands from abroad though, wonder if they'll make it...

Are you going to see Stephen fretwell? He's one of my must sees at Latitude 

And yeah it's a weird one that - my day at Leeds has Queens of the stone age headlining and I'm pretty sure they won't be playing. I imagine backups are in place in both situations! 

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Still has a place in the schedule of testing as long as the inaccuracy is clearly explained to people so they can make an informed decision about what a negative test result means for their covid status. 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Are you going to see Stephen fretwell? He's one of my must sees at Latitude 

And yeah it's a weird one that - my day at Leeds has Queens of the stone age headlining and I'm pretty sure they won't be playing. I imagine backups are in place in both situations! 

No, but I'm going to this psych fest thing. Hope it happens.

4 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Not a huge amount for me there but I do like the Mysterines and would say they're worth a listen. Can't vouch for them live as I've only discovered them in the past year! 

They're really good live.. caught them at Cotton Clouds festival a few years ago, great band 

On 7/16/2021 at 4:28 PM, steviewevie said:

impressed they're going for it...hope it works out ok. Might try and get tickets myself, but reckon will struggle. Love Greenman, great festival.

Not going to try as with BD lined up its only fair I leave tix for others this year I reckon. Just hoping BD doesnt cancel but looks OK so far...

18 minutes ago, nikkic said:

APE have issued a statement saying they are going ahead with things. 

Good stuff. Would be lying if I wasn’t still a bit anxious about this, but fuck it, once I’m in I’m sure I’ll be right back in the festival mentality. Looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Good stuff. Would be lying if I wasn’t still a bit anxious about this, but fuck it, once I’m in I’m sure I’ll be right back in the festival mentality. Looking forward to it!

I think most of us will have anxiety to some degree so you won’t be alone in that. Par for the course I think.

What day are you going to?

15 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I think most of us will have anxiety to some degree so you won’t be alone in that. Par for the course I think.

What day are you going to?

The Foals day for me! Kinda annoyed they haven’t replaced Roisin Murphy as she was a big draw for me, but ho hum, certainly enough good stuff to keep me busy regardless. 

Edited by FloorFiller

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The Foals day for me! Kinda annoyed they haven’t replaced Roisin Murphy as she was a big draw for me, but ho hum, certainly enough good stuff to keep me busy regardless. 

Aye it's a crying shame there's seemingly no Roisin replacement lined up, only hope is they were waiting to see if they were 100% going ahead before nabbing a replacement?

Of my booked festivals 3 of 4 are in the bin! I can’t believe I used to come on this thread and tell you all to stop being so bloody pessimistic 😂😂

69CDEEA3-8116-4798-9828-DED1D9100AB9.jpeg

• Like 1

I belong to a higher age group, double-jabbed (AZ) a while ago. I have a few outdoor gigs and festivals to attend in mid to late August and early September penciled in. Of them, two are in down South and NW, taking some substantial hours for me to get there by train.

Coming to this stage and especially reading this news from the Netherlands that 1k out of the 20k attendees of a certain music festival were found Covid-positive after the event, I’m starting to wonder if it’s a good idea to do.

I speculate from the NL news that it is almost certain any music event of sufficient size will end up bearing some Covid-positive cases among the attendees, be it a small or large number (that every attendee has to present proof of vaccination or negative test result guarantees there will be ZERO carrier in the site seems to be naive to me). Then, if unfortunately somebody is found infected, will I be contacted by the event organizers or some authority and asked to self-quarantine for a certain period of time, let alone having a test, LFT or PCR, and regardless of the result of it?

My wife is not a keen gig-goer and mostly I go on my own, this time no exception. And if I should go under such condition, she won’t be certainly pleased, as it is likely she will have to do the same as I do, as a second contact.

I’m guessing some (or many) of you here are under a similar situation in regard to family members. I’d appreciate your thoughts and comments. Thanks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/15/music-festival-in-holland-leads-to-over-1000-covid-infections.html

34 minutes ago, zzzfest said:

I belong to a higher age group, double-jabbed (AZ) a while ago. I have a few outdoor gigs and festivals to attend in mid to late August and early September penciled in. Of them, two are in down South and NW, taking some substantial hours for me to get there by train.

Coming to this stage and especially reading this news from the Netherlands that 1k out of the 20k attendees of a certain music festival were found Covid-positive after the event, I’m starting to wonder if it’s a good idea to do.

I speculate from the NL news that it is almost certain any music event of sufficient size will end up bearing some Covid-positive cases among the attendees, be it a small or large number (that every attendee has to present proof of vaccination or negative test result guarantees there will be ZERO carrier in the site seems to be naive to me). Then, if unfortunately somebody is found infected, will I be contacted by the event organizers or some authority and asked to self-quarantine for a certain period of time, let alone having a test, LFT or PCR, and regardless of the result of it?

My wife is not a keen gig-goer and mostly I go on my own, this time no exception. And if I should go under such condition, she won’t be certainly pleased, as it is likely she will have to do the same as I do, as a second contact.

I’m guessing some (or many) of you here are under a similar situation in regard to family members. I’d appreciate your thoughts and comments. Thanks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/15/music-festival-in-holland-leads-to-over-1000-covid-infections.html

14 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

If it allays your fear at all, there was mass crowding under tents during spells of rain, long queues for tightly-packed shuttles, and they only had a 48hr negative test requirement rather than a more useful 24hrs — which the organisers admitted was a fuck-up.

A botched test, basically.

Yep everything said here plus - they classified vaccinated as anyone who'd had one jab...immediately after they'd had it. Outdoors you'll be fine

37 minutes ago, zzzfest said:

I was going to post this. That's a massive number and they reduced to time previous from 40 hours down to 24 hours which I believe means that a PCR test or covid test isn't guaranteed to get back to you in time. Only the LFT is which is silly anyway. 

Also it's no coincidence that the British cases soared through the roof within the 4 days following the final of the euros.

Just seen loads of the old school raver/clubbing pages I follow on Facebook losing their shit about needing two jabs to get into nightclubs.

Gotta say, not completely shocked to see a load of people who spent their formative years doing class As developing paranoia/conspiracy issues.

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just seen loads of the old school raver/clubbing pages I follow on Facebook losing their shit about needing two jabs to get into nightclubs.

Gotta say, not completely shocked to see a load of people who spent their formative years doing class As developing paranoia/conspiracy issues.

I could see it coming as soon as they gave nightclubs the option to do it now or not. Paves the way for spreading the blame, shutting clubs down whilst they get the certification top and running again. It's sad for those businesses as I can see them becoming the scapegoats.