Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

49 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

Farmfest going ahead in just over 2 weeks and with lfts beforehand. Surely no more cancellations at this point. Have they got cancellation insurance and we just haven't heard about it yet? 

Small scale - 5000 max - and much of the organisation done by their own team, means  reasonably low overheads and costs to cover if committed I guess.  It's a risk for sure, but given that it's so close to the 19th I guess they may be thinking it's a (financial) risk worth taking as Bojo is unlikely to pull the plug within 11 days of unlocking.

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

Small scale - 5000 max - and much of the organisation done by their own team, means  reasonably low overheads and costs to cover if committed I guess.  It's a risk for sure, but given that it's so close to the 19th I guess they may be thinking it's a (financial) risk worth taking as Bojo is unlikely to pull the plug within 11 days of unlocking.

I've got 110 above booked which is 1,000 people and their own land, but is mid August so could be pushing it. I'm 50/50 on that one! 

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

That study was on people that were already showing symptoms. How good is it at detecting people that are asymptomatic or whose symptoms have still to start? As those people can still spread it.

From the Farmfest regs. Seems to imply that if you do test positive you would be eligible for a refund – though I’m tending to assume that that isn’t the case. Anyone got any ideas generally? It doesn’t say anywhere on the site…

"If you refuse to take a test or show your result, you may be turned away from the festival and you will not be eligible for a refund."

12 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

That study was on people that were already showing symptoms. How good is it at detecting people that are asymptomatic or whose symptoms have still to start? As those people can still spread it.

Other studies of those sort of people showed an approx 99% accuracy rate especially in asymtomatic cases in the early days of infection. Here are some links to stuff. The full report is out there somewhere too.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-analysis-of-lateral-flow-tests-shows-specificity-of-at-least-999

https://www.healtheuropa.eu/analysis-shows-99-9-accuracy-of-lateral-flow-tests-for-covid-19/106548/

1 hour ago, Homer said:

From the Farmfest regs. Seems to imply that if you do test positive you would be eligible for a refund – though I’m tending to assume that that isn’t the case. Anyone got any ideas generally? It doesn’t say anywhere on the site…

"If you refuse to take a test or show your result, you may be turned away from the festival and you will not be eligible for a refund."

I only saw yesterday that Latitude says that you are eligible for a refund if you test positive but I assumed that was part of being a test event.

2 hours ago, Homer said:

I would have thought that a positive test would result in a refund. Otherwise they are creating an incentive for people to try and get around it somehow which doesn’t seem very responsible. 

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Other studies of those sort of people showed an approx 99% accuracy rate especially in asymtomatic cases in the early days of infection. Here are some links to stuff. The full report is out there somewhere too.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-analysis-of-lateral-flow-tests-shows-specificity-of-at-least-999

https://www.healtheuropa.eu/analysis-shows-99-9-accuracy-of-lateral-flow-tests-for-covid-19/106548/

Thanks for the info.

Both those articles talking about the risk about a false positive been very low (which is really good), but neither mention the percentage of false negatives, which also seems important i.e it's good they never say people have Covid when they don't (good specificity), but how many people that do have it does it not pick up(what's the sensitivity)?

This study suggests that the UK test only has a sensitivity of 52%.
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n823

If a lateral flow tests says you've got Covid, you almost definitely do have it, but if you get a negative test, there is still a pretty high chance you do have it.

2 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Thanks for the info.

Both those articles talking about the risk about a false positive been very low (which is really good), but neither mention the percentage of false negatives, which also seems important i.e it's good they never say people have Covid when they don't (good specificity), but how many people that do have it does it not pick up(what's the sensitivity)?

If a lateral flow tests says you've got Covid, you almost definitely do have it, but if you get a negative test, there is still a pretty high chance you do have it.

But then, youd do a PCR test if you have symptoms anyway. So it would be asymptomatic people not covered, which if youre double vaxxed anyway....

9 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

That's why the text on the lateral flow results days "it's likely you were not infectious when the test was done" rather than "all clear".

Last of the remaining big Austrian Festivals - Frequency now cancelled. I think the Dutch Festival with the 1.000 cases put the nail in the coffin. Also the rising Delta and the crisis seating of the health department yesterday. So, another lost summer coming up here now, and this with 1st July everything possible, really disappointing. Honestly, apart from some festivals here and there it will be hard for many in the UK, Europe now is more of a desert ground for the remaining music/event industry.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:10 PM, parsonjack said:

Better than nothing though. 

It's really not. So you are saying that if someone falsely tests negative on a LFT which means the test failed then that was better than nothing and they are good to go. What you are staying is that actually they might as well go in without one and hope for the best.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:13 PM, Nobody Interesting said:

The points I make are basically explained below.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:54 PM, found home in 2009 said:

21 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Thanks for the info.

Exactly all this. Yes it's good at saying if you have it then you likely do. But it's a shambles at false negatives. Half the reason for the issue we got into was because of the LFT system. It's what they tested people from high positive case areas outside of the UK that were negative and suddenly positive on arrival. A couple I get but a beer whole travel load.

The lack of asking for a covid test and rather an LFT can only be due to overspend because if you could use the proper option why wouldn't you.

18 hours ago, zahidf said:

But then, youd do a PCR test if you have symptoms anyway. So it would be asymptomatic people not covered, which if youre double vaxxed anyway....

But it costs to get a PCR test, it doesn't for a LFT because all it actually does is determine whether it believes you need a proper covid test. They ran it for weeks at my work. If it's negative then it's only 50/50 it was correct.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

It's really not. So you are saying that if someone falsely tests negative on a LFT which means the test failed then that was better than nothing and they are good to go. What you are staying is that actually they might as well go in without one and hope for the best.

No I'm not saying that.  I'm well aware that a negative result is potentially a false negative, which is not the same as the test 'failing, and that I may be infected.  The potential for false negatives is around 52% I think, but it's generally down to the sensitivity of the test and inability to detect very low levels of viral load rather than test 'failure'.  With that in mind I view multiple tests as the way to mitigate this occurring.  

I have a ticket for Fat Boy Slim at Frome Cheese & Grain on Wednesday night and we are very carefully considering risk to ourselves, although both double vaccinated, and the risk to the likely high number of younger possibly unjabbed or one-dosed that will be there.  We don't want to miss this,  but with the potential for LFTs to be unreliable we certainly won't be relying on a single test and being 'good to go'.  Both of us currently have no symptoms,but we will now be doing LFTs daily from tomorrow (Sat) until Weds to be confident we are sure as we can be that we pose no risk to others.  We'll also be wearing our masks and staying in uncrowded areas of the venue, moving regularly to also limit our exposure time to anyone near us in the remote chance that we are infectious.  Obviously not everyone else may be so diligent, but it's then their conscience to bear that weight.

• Like 1

Secret Garden Party have done some social media posts today saying “to be continued…” 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRYdoJvHst5/?utm_medium=copy_link

When you go on their website you now get a countdown timer 🧐

879A20DB-2493-4457-AE67-3C42369F0C2E.jpeg

Edited by gherring8
Link to original post added
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, parsonjack said:

No I'm not saying that.  I'm well aware that a negative result is potentially a false negative, which is not the same as the test 'failing, and that I may be infected.  The potential for false negatives is around 52% I think, but it's generally down to the sensitivity of the test and inability to detect very low levels of viral load rather than test 'failure'.  With that in mind I view multiple tests as the way to mitigate this occurring.  

I have a ticket for Fat Boy Slim at Frome Cheese & Grain on Wednesday night and we are very carefully considering risk to ourselves, although both double vaccinated, and the risk to the likely high number of younger possibly unjabbed or one-dosed that will be there.  We don't want to miss this,  but with the potential for LFTs to be unreliable we certainly won't be relying on a single test and being 'good to go'.  Both of us currently have no symptoms,but we will now be doing LFTs daily from tomorrow (Sat) until Weds to be confident we are sure as we can be that we pose no risk to others.  We'll also be wearing our masks and staying in uncrowded areas of the venue, moving regularly to also limit our exposure time to anyone near us in the remote chance that we are infectious.  Obviously not everyone else may be so diligent, but it's then their conscience to bear that weight.

Bugger we are not coming up to Glastonbury till Thursday else would have gone to the gig 😥

1 hour ago, westholtschic said:

Bugger we are not coming up to Glastonbury till Thursday else would have gone to the gig 😥

That's a pity.  It sold out in 10 mins a few weeks back and apparently there is a massive wait list for any cancellations, which there may be a few.

Pop over to Frome if you get chance though....Cheap St and Catherine Hill especially are full of little independent shops, cafes, bars and coffee stops

Not sure how long you'll be around for but if you're still in the area Friday 30th we have a new night market event that sounds like it might be fun, music, food, junk......you'll be very welcome 😊

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRGywgFtIw2/?utm_medium=twitter

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

That's a pity.  It sold out in 10 mins a few weeks back and apparently there is a massive wait list for any cancellations, which there may be a few.

Pop over to Frome if you get chance though....Cheap St and Catherine Hill especially are full of little independent shops, cafes, bars and coffee stops

Not sure how long you'll be around for but if you're still in the area Friday 30th we have a new night market event that sounds like it might be fun, music, food, junk......you'll be very welcome 😊

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRGywgFtIw2/?utm_medium=twitter

Thank you so much