Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

7 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Me too. Quite a lot of us judging from the Latitude section on here.

I've been once before. I'm assuming/hoping the crowd will be more up for a party than the usual blanket brigade - it's a festival that's actually happening, and they've booked the Chemical Brothers! But I guess a lot of people there will be rollovers from last year, and this is a place where the family camping section is as big if not bigger than the standard section.

Tickets still available. I reckon there will be quite a different clientele to normal, the ‘Islington family weekend away’ mob may well be a little cautious? I did 2018 & 19 with Oxfam and will do so again, even though I said I wouldn’t be going back. It’s a nice festival but it feels a bit flat, very little passion, certainly when compared to the independents (GM, BD, Big G, BT etc) and the beer choice is shite. I hope it is a great experience this year, it will certainly be different 😊.

7 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I've been to and enjoyed four Latitudes, but it is amazing how much of a pain in the arse I found arena festivals after being spoiled by the freedom of Glastonbury, Boomtown etc.

Ben

Which other festivals don't separate the arena and camping, out of interest?

10 hours ago, Diamond24 said:

Which other festivals don't separate the arena and camping, out of interest?

As Ben mentioned, Boomtown doesn't and would be the largest after Glastonbury. Shambala doesn't either.

At some events the distinction isn't all that important - Bearded Theory does have a separate Arena and Campsite, but as there's no real checkpoint or other obstacle between the two it's not something you really notice. Just walk in freely, showing your wristband to the stewards stood on the side of the path. Similar applies at EOTR.

Lost Village has shown signs of life to sell some boutique camping! No other statement of intent or anything, just taking some more cash. 

Sorry, I’m way too cynical these days! 

BoomVillage (miniature Boomtown) just cancelled without giving a reason why? It’s not for another month and things are getting better.

If I was cynical I’d say it was because they were struggling to sell tickets? Anyone got a more official line on that 

3 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

BoomVillage (miniature Boomtown) just cancelled without giving a reason why? It’s not for another month and things are getting better.

If I was cynical I’d say it was because they were struggling to sell tickets? Anyone got a more official line on that 

They give the reason in the third paragraph.

The core decision is due to the escalating cases of COVID-19 across the country, and the risks that widespread illness and self-isolation could have on our crew and contractors, which would result in us not having enough people to build and deliver the show to the high public safety standards we uphold.

Edited by gooner1990

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

£67,500!

2 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Won’t see tickets or whoever be keeping that for their ‘hosting’.

Ticket agents only ones making any dollar at the moment? Surely, with the competition, there’s room for events to negotiate a % of the booking fee? 

18 minutes ago, stuie said:

Ticket agents only ones making any dollar at the moment? Surely, with the competition, there’s room for events to negotiate a % of the booking fee? 

I’d assume You have to contract for a few years with the same ticket agents to stop them all undercutting each other. 

Boomtown had a £1mil grant last year so they could probably afford to give the booking fee back as a goodwill gesture. I think it was 6k capacity and not close to being sold out so wouldn’t cost them the earth. 

1 hour ago, Old_Johno said:

Boomtown had a £1mil grant last year so they could probably afford to give the booking fee back as a goodwill gesture. I think it was 6k capacity and not close to being sold out so wouldn’t cost them the earth. 

Those DCMS grants came with some fairly specific strings attached to them as to what they could be used for - one of them was that the money could only be used for things prior to a certain date (think it was 1st April this year, but not certain) - so they can't use it to cover booking fees from Boom Village or any costs they're incurring now.

Regardless of that - I'd wager they lost significantly more than a million quid last year so even after the grant they'll be in the red. Same for Glastonbury.

10 hours ago, incident said:

As Ben mentioned, Boomtown doesn't and would be the largest after Glastonbury. Shambala doesn't either.

At some events the distinction isn't all that important - Bearded Theory does have a separate Arena and Campsite, but as there's no real checkpoint or other obstacle between the two it's not something you really notice. Just walk in freely, showing your wristband to the stewards stood on the side of the path. Similar applies at EOTR.

At Bearded we check for beer only to ensure everyone has one on their way into the arena!

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

LFT is basically nothing. It's the cheapest form and will not deliver accurately.

Best you go and let the scientists know as they think otherwise.

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/2021/smd/lateral-flow-tests-are-95-effective-at-detecting-covid-19-when-used-at-the-onset-of-symptoms.html