Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

I was previously one of optimistic ones  on this thread but there’s just been too much tomfuckery by our government for me to take anything seriously.

I now expect the only events to go ahead this year are the ones with the government pilot handshake. My last two remaining festivals of this year will be in the bin within days.

We’ll see what Boris says, but there’s just no confidence left by organisers and then we get stories like this: 

https://ra.co/news/75650?fbclid=IwAR3w39wrRrz4910bnwJHBQl1-rIBepHpt-Rwji8R9uqu501rZ7By9wmL4OA

NOOOOOOOO @stuie!

We lose you and the ship is under!

The one difference (BoZo fuckwittery notwithstanding) is that 'we' are making the unlock call whilst the the case rate is rising sharply in the under-30's, and seemingly with an acknowledgement by these clowns that it will continue to do so. So, I'm remaining just above the halfway line of my glass. 

At least Child 1 got one decent club night in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago...!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

What other festivals are scheduled to be test events? Are there more to be announced? It can't be far away from the last three largest events, Creamfields, Reading and Leeds beginning their builds, can it? They're 45 days away from gates opening! Without insurance they must have been given some kind of nod from the authorities that they'll go ahead regardless? As has been said above, I really fear for any summer event now, single or multi-day, indoors or out. There was a time when moving events to September looked inspired, backed by the vaccine. But thanks the sheer fuckery of this government, we're looking at a second consecutive wasted summer. And there's only so many socially distanced, sat down at a table events I can handle

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

What other festivals are scheduled to be test events? Are there more to be announced? It can't be far away from the last three largest events, Creamfields, Reading and Leeds beginning their builds, can it? They're 45 days away from gates opening! Without insurance they must have been given some kind of nod from the authorities that they'll go ahead regardless? As has been said above, I really fear for any summer event now, single or multi-day, indoors or out. There was a time when moving events to September looked inspired, backed by the vaccine. But thanks the sheer fuckery of this government, we're looking at a second consecutive wasted summer. And there's only so many socially distanced, sat down at a table events I can handle

No other test events, it's just Latitude and Tramlines.

There's at least one decent sized non-test event festival (Standon Calling) that's definitely well into their build, and while I've not seen it confirmed I assume Camp Bestival must have started by now as they're only 17 days from gates opening and won't be a short build process.

Thing is, both Camp Bestival, and Wilderness (the week after CB) are both ultimately owned by Live Nation and so for them to still be going ahead must have received some form of reassurance from the Government via their DCMS links, as to cancel at this short notice would be a massive financial hit - one that LN could presumably absorb, but that they'd still be looking to avoid if they thought there was a serious chance of the rug getting pulled.

1 minute ago, incident said:

No other test events, it's just Latitude and Tramlines.

There's at least one decent sized non-test event festival (Standon Calling) that's definitely well into their build, and while I've not seen it confirmed I assume Camp Bestival must have started by now as they're only 17 days from gates opening and won't be a short build process.

Thing is, both Camp Bestival, and Wilderness (the week after CB) are both ultimately owned by Live Nation and so for them to still be going ahead must have received some form of reassurance from the Government via their DCMS links, as to cancel at this short notice would be a massive financial hit - one that LN could presumably absorb, but that they'd still be looking to avoid if they thought there was a serious chance of the rug getting pulled.

Maybe my fears are unfounded and from July 19, it'll COVID pass dependent and it's go, go, go for festivals? They don't seem to be too bothered by the escalating cases to lift restrictions?

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Maybe my fears are unfounded and from July 19, it'll COVID pass dependent and it's go, go, go for festivals? They don't seem to be too bothered by the escalating cases to lift restrictions?

As long as cases dont mean huge hospitalisations. A case can be a runny nose. 

So fingers crossed. Its a big risk.

30 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That ominous thing said in parliament about reviewing in September definitely didn't sound good

7 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Latitude still isn't sold out, which is absolutely mad to me considering it's a very popular festival coming at the right time. There was a three/four week period earlier in the year when festivals were selling out left and right but the consumer confidence seems to have dropped off considerably since then.

It is a four hour drive from seemingly everywhere though. Even in a pandemic year it's location must be off putting.

Government is clearly changing its tune. Gone is irreversible and we're all expected to be cautious. 

So if you were the organiser of an independent festival, without the backing of a large corporation with a secret door into Downing Street, how confident would you be about spending £000's of pounds in up front costs without an insurance scheme to cover any losses if restrictions are suddenly reimposed?

As I've got tickets for GM & EotR I desperately want the answer to be Yes we'll go ahead but I'd rather they postponed than risk going bust. 

There's no reason for the government not to offer insurance, clearly they have no interest in doing so. 

11 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Latitude still isn't sold out, which is absolutely mad to me considering it's a very popular festival coming at the right time. There was a three/four week period earlier in the year when festivals were selling out left and right but the consumer confidence seems to have dropped off considerably since then.

Latitude is very overpriced as well for the bookings they have made. But then it's booked on a very middle to upper class base.

Tramlines got some heat for a weak lineup and Supergrass isn't a very strong replacement at all but they are both pretty weak lineups, Tramline is better for me but then price wise it's a lot more agreeable too.

We should remember that not everything is going to sell out and get people to an event just because there is an event. But everyone thinks in the world of efestivals. Outside of this forum, people are a still only going to put £200+ into something they actually like especially given furlough etc etc.

4 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

So, from yesterday’s announcement it looks like the next few festivals (that haven’t cancelled) are on? I’m booked for the Liam day at Reading - think that has a good chance of going ahead…

Probably, though I'd expect them to use vaccine passports.

On 7/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

How many eFestivalers are going to Latitude? 

I'm going.  Working for our local radio station during the day, interviewing bands, and then I'll get the late afternoons and nights to myself to meet up with our group, which is much smaller than normal.

On 7/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

How many eFestivalers are going to Latitude? 

Me too. Quite a lot of us judging from the Latitude section on here.

I've been once before. I'm assuming/hoping the crowd will be more up for a party than the usual blanket brigade - it's a festival that's actually happening, and they've booked the Chemical Brothers! But I guess a lot of people there will be rollovers from last year, and this is a place where the family camping section is as big if not bigger than the standard section.

Would be all over Latitude, but going back to Bristol for first time in nine months this weekend, then got Farmfest the weekend after, so should prob have one weekend at home in between! Also, not a huge fan of arena festivals.

Edited by Homer

54 minutes ago, Homer said:

Would be all over Latitude, but going back to Bristol for first time in nine months this weekend, then got Farmfest the weekend after, so should prob have one weekend at home in between! Also, not a huge fan of arena festivals.

I've been to and enjoyed four Latitudes, but it is amazing how much of a pain in the arse I found arena festivals after being spoiled by the freedom of Glastonbury, Boomtown etc.

Ben